Best Opening & Closing Scenes

Tools    

Best Opening and Best Closing Scenes from one movie...
Vertigo
The Sixth Sense
Star Wars

Best Opening
Lost in Translation
Saving Private Ryan

Best Closing Scenes
The Usual Suspects
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
------------------------------------

Norman Bates I also love the opening to Lost in Translation, but my favorite opening is 2001: A Space Odyssey and favorite closing is the 400 Blows.

The opening of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

my fave opening is from Clerks II when Dante goes to open the Quick Stop and its burning so he closes and opens it again lol...best closing is The Shawshank Redemption

opening and closing:

DUMB N DUMBER

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
Boogie Nights. Great opening? Check. Great closing? Double check.

Closer - the opening, with the lovelly natalie portman, and that DIVINE song by damien rice was fantastic.

Goodfellas.

gotta Saving P Ryan 4 opening - usual suspects 4 closing

The Usual Suspects and Field of Dreams are my two favorite closing scenes.

ha also agree with missmari98

dumb & dumber

also Star Wars and Sin City

Best opening scene i would say is From Barry Lyndon. Can't think of closing scene there are so many....i will get back though

Opening: 2001 ('68)

Closing: Planet of the Apes ('68)

I have to return some videotapes.
Have to agree with 2001. I also thought Super Troppers had a great opening.

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
For me I liked the opening and closing scenes of the following movies:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Akira
Children of Men
Sin City
Fight Club
Star Wars
......and that's all I can really think of right now.

Lets see, I'd go for:

Kill Bill Vol. 1
Star Wars IV: A New Hope
Human Traffic
Saving Private Ryan
Apocolypse Now
Trainspotting
Pulp Fiction
Se7en

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

I agree with The Searchers as the best closing scene in the movies. Ethan being left outside the doorway of civilization along with John Wayne's unexpected tribute to Harey Carey really make it so for me.

However, when I started this thread, and I know I didn't phrase it very well, I was looking for the best opening and closing scenes in the same movie (The Searchers would still be high on my list).
I agree. "The Searchers" had both the best opening (a door opens showing John Wayne approaching in the distance) and the best closing (John Wayne standing on the porch of the cabin in the classic pose of the late Harry Carey in a final salute to his friend and mentor as the door closes).

"Dr. Strangelove" is a great choice!. What made the opening scene of the mid-air refueling of the bomber even better is that in the background an orchestra is playing, "Try a Little Tenderness."

I'm showing my age again, and I don't remember what the closing was but "Requiem for a Heavyweight" opens with the scene, shot as through the eyes of the main character Anthony Quinn, of a very young Cassius Clay (later Mohammed Ali) punching the crap out of him in the ring. It's an unforgetable scene, and filmed back before Ali was so famous, just at the start of his professional career as I recall.