Your favorite slashers

Tools    

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Slashers bore me terribly. They need a solid gimmick to sustain my interest, a gimmick that makes the slashing secondary. Make the slasher a fish. Or a weird biomechanical lifecycle from space. Or a dream.

So, Nightmare on Elm Street, yet. It's imaginative, varied, and goes way beyond walky walky slashy slashy. But even my undefeatable love for John Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis cannot hook me to Halloween.

Edit : Also was just reminded of Don't Breathe, which gimmick also made it way more interesting than the usual slashers.

These were my brief thoughts about Just Before Dawn, @Captain Terror. I've only seen it the once though. Back in the old days I'd have seen this at least 4 or 5 times in the first month of discovering it because I really liked it.
Thanks, I obviously missed that post of yours.
"I'm not a slasher guy" is a sentence I've typed more often than I can count, so it's always a surprise when I discover one that my friends haven't seen.
It's been on my watchlist since I made that post, maybe I'll get to it this month.

It's what all the cool kids are watching. It's the Final Exam of 2021.
Damn, it's not on Tubi.

Dang, I can't watch it either. Back when I made that post it was streaming somewhere. Should've watched it when I had the chance.
Looks like we'll have to keep searching for the next Final Exam.*

Maybe you should have pushed Nightbeast more.
Available from the fine folks at Vinegar Syndrome (pick up one of their Hyapatia Lee double features while you're at it), but not on Tubi when I last checked.

It might surprise you to learn that I am a fan.
But that's a topic for another thread, or another forum preferably.
Lol

I watched a couple of her Bob Chinn movies (thanks Vinegar Syndrome!), until Letterboxd takes down the page for Body Girls, my shameful, shameful views are available for the public to see (otherwise you have to go to my blog).

WARNING: spoilers below
Basically, the movies ate pretty slight but well made for what they are, and she has something of a real star quality. Not my favourites in the genre, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from checking them out.

Lol

I watched a couple of her Bob Chinn movies (thanks Vinegar Syndrome!), until Letterboxd takes down the page for Body Girls, my shameful, shameful views are available for the public to see (otherwise you have to go to my blog).

Basically, the movies ate pretty slight but well made for what they are, and she has something of a real star quality. Not my favourites in the genre, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from checking them out.
Will Body Girls become the next Final Exam?

No. It's not on Tubi.

Just Before Dawn, in a decent print on Dailymotion:

part 1 https://dai.ly/x5jf1xp
part 2 https://dai.ly/x5jf1wl
Thank you Captain Terror. We've narrowly averted this crisis (the entire forum watching Body Girls in search of the next Final Exam).

So I've now seen Just Before Dawn, and I think it's definitely worth checking out, if you're willing to watch that Dailymotion post above. (Looked OK on my TV) It's also on BluRay for those of you who are in the habit of blind-buying stuff.

This is just a personal preference, but when it comes to slashers I'm always going to gravitate towards the gritty rural variety and this definitely fits that description. The kills aren't very creative, with one exception, but I "felt" them if you know what I mean. We've all seen countless people get stabbed, but some of these made me say "ouch" out loud. And then there was the one kill that was...something else. Not even sure what the official cause of death would've been, but it was novel.
The characters were mostly likable, something I often struggle with in this genre.
But if I'm attempting to pitch this one and peer-pressure a bunch of you into watching it, I'd say that there's an interesting twist on the final girl element that I don't think I've seen before (keep in mind my limited experience with the genre). There's also a wrinkle involving the killer that deviates from the norm. Can't really explain further without spoilers, I'm afraid. But yeah, I liked it.

I also watched Squirm from the same director, and in terms of rural Southern atmosphere that one almost achieved Boggy Creek levels of authenticity, if not quite getting there. I recommend that one too. (on Tubi)

So I've now seen Just Before Dawn, and I think it's definitely worth checking out, if you're willing to watch that Dailymotion post above. (Looked OK on my TV) It's also on BluRay for those of you who are in the habit of blind-buying stuff.

This is just a personal preference, but when it comes to slashers I'm always going to gravitate towards the gritty rural variety and this definitely fits that description. The kills aren't very creative, with one exception, but I "felt" them if you know what I mean. We've all seen countless people get stabbed, but some of these made me say "ouch" out loud. And then there was the one kill that was...something else. Not even sure what the official cause of death would've been, but it was novel.
The characters were mostly likable, something I often struggle with in this genre.
But if I'm attempting to pitch this one and peer-pressure a bunch of you into watching it, I'd say that there's an interesting twist on the final girl element that I don't think I've seen before (keep in mind my limited experience with the genre). There's also a wrinkle involving the killer that deviates from the norm. Can't really explain further without spoilers, I'm afraid. But yeah, I liked it.

I also watched Squirm from the same director, and in terms of rural Southern atmosphere that one almost achieved Boggy Creek levels of authenticity, if not quite getting there. I recommend that one too. (on Tubi)
Have you seen Don't Go in the Woods? The gritty, rural quality comes more from the production than any conscious artistic choice, but curious what you'd think.*Might dig up my writeup later when I'm less lazy.*

Have you seen Don't Go in the Woods? The gritty, rural quality comes more from the production than any conscious artistic choice, but curious what you'd think.*Might dig up my writeup later when I'm less lazy.*
I have seen that one. Don't remember a lot of specifics, only that its low budget was really evident. Does someone get a hand chopped off or something? I remember that effect not being very convincing. Just checked Letterboxd and I gave it a half-star less than you did.

Regarding the rural vibe I guess I'd compare JBD to something like Slaughterhouse.

I have seen that one. Don't remember a lot of specifics, only that its low budget was really evident. Does someone get a hand chopped off or something? I remember that effect not being very convincing. Just checked Letterboxd and I gave it a half-star less than you did.

Regarding the rural vibe I guess I'd compare JBD to something like Slaughterhouse.
I don't remember anything about a severed hand, but there is some pretty wonky editing that ends up being unintentionally effective.*I'd probably bump it up half a star since then, there's plenty that's conventionally "bad" about it, but its distinct flavour has grown on me since I watched it.*

I don't remember anything about a severed hand, but there is some pretty wonky editing that ends up being unintentionally effective.*I'd probably bump it up half a star since then, there's plenty that's conventionally "bad" about it, but its distinct flavour has grown on me since I watched it.*
Looks like I logged it during my all-80s October of a few years ago, so a lot of those films have blended in my memory since then. Maybe I'll give it another go. EDIT: It's on Tubi!
Here's the shot I was thinking of:

Director of Squirm?

I'm in.