Television Tab

Tools    

For quite some time now I’ve been binging Life Below Zero on Disney +. To the exclusion of everything else except an occasional Netflix dvd. I now have 2 seasons left to watch in the current 16 seasons.

I keep a careful note of shows I want to watch. Look at my lists now. It’s crazy - I’ll never get through all this. I won’t even know where to begin.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
White Lotus? That first episode needs a trailmix warning

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
White Lotus? = Is anyone watching this. Did not see anyone talking about it.

The trail mix bit was a male nudity reference.

White Lotus? = Is anyone watching this. Did not see anyone talking about it.

The trail mix bit was a male nudity reference.
So there should have been a warning for male nudity?

For quite some time now I’ve been binging Life Below Zero on Disney +. To the exclusion of everything else except an occasional Netflix dvd. I now have 2 seasons left to watch in the current 16 seasons.
Completely finished with this now. Watched approximately 140 + episodes. Good stuff, but need to move on now.

A system of cells interlinked
NCIS - Season 1

Had never heard of this British comedy until the NY Times randomly plugged it recently.

Not usually a fan of comedy, but this two-seasoneron HBOMax is absurdly hilarious. Set in London & Jamie Demetriou (who I have never heard of) plays the eponymous gormless loser Stathi. Appalling accent & mangled English are two of the ways he portrays an immigrant from Cyprus, which he, himself, was as a teenager.

Probably will be a third season, to which I look forward.

Has @AgrippinaX seen this? Don’t know if she likes comedy.

Had never heard of this British comedy until the NY Times randomly plugged it recently.

Not usually a fan of comedy, but this two-seasoneron HBOMax is absurdly hilarious. Set in London & Jamie Demetriou (who I have never heard of) plays the eponymous gormless loser Stathi. Appalling accent & mangled English are two of the ways he portrays an immigrant from Cyprus, which he, himself, was as a teenager.

Probably will be a third season, to which I look forward.

Has @AgrippinaX seen this? Don’t know if she likes comedy.
Haven’t heard of this either. I know of Demetriou from Fleabag, but nothing else is familiar. Am reasonably intrigued, will check out. Might just be up my street.

It depends, I have a painfully weird sense of humour, so that also complicates matters.

The last time I consciously set out to watch a comedy ended in an explosive row with my mother over Borat, which is apparently disrespectful to Kazakhstan (I mean… duh?). I laughed as I read that back, though at the time it wasn’t fun. Anyway, the accent bit seems reminiscent of Borat.

I like dark comedy/satire, but that’s a subjective term, which again complicates matters. Some of the films in the vicinity of the genre that have stood the test of time for me are In the Company of Men (1997), Wild Tales (2014), Gosford Park, Thank You for Smoking etc. So not hopeless.

And I’m conscious comedy is perhaps more subjective than any other genre - one man’s comedy is another’s horror film.

Also, of course, what with my job, I adore Yes, Minister.

⬆️ I hated Fleabag & various other Brit comedies of that ilk. Too lazy to look them up, but hate them all.

I did like using the word gormless in my post. Unknown word in America. Even the NY Times which likes to use Brit-speak to show how hip they are, has not discovered gormless yet. Great word.

Also, of course, what with my job, I adore Yes, Minister.
Which should be mandatory for all children over the age of about 12 in this (and probably every other) country.

Stath Lets Flats is on Channel 4, BTW, so you can probably catch all of them on All4 and see if you like it. I've not tried it but it didn't look like something I'd want to watch so I didn't.

Which should be mandatory for all children over the age of about 12 in this (and probably every other) country.

Stath Lets Flats is on Channel 4, BTW, so you can probably catch all of them on All4 and see if you like it. I've not tried it but it didn't look like something I'd want to watch so I didn't.
Makes sense. Thanks for the heads-up, will definitely check it out now.

I think you’d like it. I found it to be hilarious. Different from anything I’d seen before.

Seen this 3 times now. Definitely my favorite show for 2020/21. Apparently, it has been renewed for a second season. 😎

Seen HBO six one hour episodes 100 Foot Wave about the first big wave surfer that found Nazaré, Portugal, the place with the biggest waves in the world, unknown until 2010, at least to the people that didn't lived there. I, myself almost died in that beach when I was 15, very dangerous place, the sea pushes you towards him like no other place.

D'you know that wee fluttery puff of excitement you get when you find something to watch that you didn't know you were looking for in the first place? Well, I recently 'fluttery-puffed' when I happened to fall into this cheeky wee piece of Norwegian viewing.

Post Mortem: No One Dies in Skarnes is six episodes of binge-worthy delight for lovers of the darker flavours of humour.

It's a drama and a thriller with a couple of mysteries thrown in for good measure. Supernatural? possibly, but I'm not entirely dedicated to signing on that line. Purely because it wasn't clarified... You'd have to watch it to see what I mean.

It's based around a family run funeral business. The brother, Odd (that's his name) or Elias Holmen Sørensen, is brilliant! He's a new face for me, and I'll definitely be looking out for him again.

I don't know if this was a one off, or if there's going to be a season 2... but if so, I'll be there.

Ju-On: Origins (2020)

There's lots of good stuff here, but it resorts too much to J-horror cliches and overly complicates what should have been a simple story. It's better not to think this in relation to the movie. It's pretty bleak which, to me, is a plus.

--
The Enfield Haunting (1975)

Yet another telling of the Enfield Poltergeist. This three-part mini-series has two strong episodes, but the final is rather lame. It focuses too much on the family issues of the SPR investigator, and the resolution of the case is too British in a bad way (kinda reminds of the Saphire & Steel). Worthington-Cox steals the show and Matthew Macfadyen looks a lot like Patrick Wilson enforcing The Conjuring 2 vibes (even though this one doesn't have Warrens at all).

Ultraman Trigger, ep 11 looks awesome! Streaming on Tsubaraya official channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/tsuburaya