The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Boredom is a permissible response. Of a heretic!

2001 is a movie that I have already talked about to death here, and since my words are not nearly as convincing as the movie itself, I won't bother trying to convert the unconverted again. My point was mostly about considering the greatness of these two movies on a scale outside of our own personal experience with them. Very few movies strive for grand gestures, articulate them with complete originality, change the course of cinema and yet, for all of the endless analysis of them, remain somewhat inscrutable in the power they hold. They are virtually peerless, whether or not some people might find them boring or even hate them. They are too big for the occassional indifferent experience to bring them down. They are, for lack of a better word, monoliths.

As much as I meant what I said though, my claim wasn't meant to be taken completely literally. Of course both movies are still target for any criticisms someone wants to lob at them (even though, personally, I've never read a single good negative critique of either film). But even allowing any and all kinds of criticism, whether or not I agree with it, I will admit that it being like a 50's family sitcom is one I haven't heard before. Other than a five minute scene of a man talking to his daughter on a TV phone, I don't believe there is even any reference to family in the rest of the movie.

I never said the movie itself was boring. Just that. But if it explored the theme more I'd probably put it in my top ten. And since my top 100 is built of movies I consider perfect in one way or another, top ten would be huge.

Of course, I prefer a thoroughly explored theme of humanity or a self-deconstruction of the film or message itself. Even because of this I'm proudly guilty of the "heresy" of putting Scream in my top ten. Never seen a slasher movie do that so well, let alone a horror movie.

Even because of this I'm proudly guilty of the "heresy" of putting Scream in my top ten. Never seen a slasher movie do that so well, let alone a horror movie.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Scream (it's alright) but I don't think it's ever a heresy to like anything.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Two interesting things about Aguirre; if I'm not mistaken, 17 lists is the most a film has been on so far. And second, I think that's the biggest jump in points (20) between two films so far. Thursday can correct me.
17 is indeed the most so far. Everything from this point on was on at least 14 ballots.

20 is the biggest point jump on the list - except the jump between #2 and #1. You won't see a big jump tomorrow - #14 only got 1 point more than Aguirre. There's even a tie in the top 10.

I like how suddenly 2001 is some kind of bridge too far. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, there buddy!!! Fine with your Herzog and stuff, but hold your damn horses on the Ligeti bull****."

I'm not a particularly big fan of Scream (it's alright) but I don't think it's ever a heresy to like anything.

But to call myself an aspiring critic and say Scream is better than 2001? It hasn't happened yet, but I'm fully prepared for the inevitable troll trying to rip me apart for it (I doubt I'll find that here other than a joke post).

After submitting my list I remembered Aguirre, so that was an oversight. It should have been on my list. Downfall was one of many movies I mentally flipped through, but it'd just been too long since I'd seen it.

But to call myself an aspiring critic and say Scream is better than 2001? It hasn't happened yet, but I'm fully prepared for the inevitable troll trying to rip me apart for it (I doubt I'll find that here other than a joke post).

I prefer Andy Warhol's Blood For Dracula to Casablanca. And I love Casablanca. Who cares if people take issue with it? What matters as a critic is the point of view. How you write about film. If you do your job, it shouldn't matter what movies you champion.

I prefer Andy Warhol's Blood For Dracula to Casablanca. And I love Casablanca. Who cares if people take issue with it? What matters as a critic is the point of view. How you write about film. If you do your job, it shouldn't matter what movies you champion.

Actually, I'm kinda looking forward to it. But it has to be genuine, because people like that are fun to mess with.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
42/80

-La Strada - 10/10
-The Battle of Algiers - 10/10
-Wild Strawberries - 10/10

-Le Trou - 9/10
-A Woman In The Dunes - 8.5/10
-The 400 Blows - 8.5/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-A Man Escaped - 8/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Close-Up- 8/10 -
-Pather Panchali- 8/10
-Late Spring - 8/10
-Tokyo Story - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Wings of Desire - 8/10
-La Dolce Vita - 7.5/10
-Harakari - 7.5/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-The Celebration- 7/10
-The Lives of Others - 7/10
-Aguirre, The Wrath Of God - 7/10 - intriguing atmosphere, but that's about it.

-Cinema Paradiso - 7/10

-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Z - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10
-Le Haine - 4/10

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I actually have Woman in the Dunes nominated for me in the current Personal Rec HoF so i'll be checking that one out.

Oldboy was at #23 for me. It was one of the first South Korean films that really REALLY stuck with me when first exploring SK films, so there was no way I was NOT going to have this on my List. From the hilarious, mostly improved Police Station scene I was consistently in "Holy Sh#t!" Mode and even more so in the finale. Part two in the Vengeance Trilogy this is an incredibly twisted and yet, at times, quite beautiful film.

Cinema Paradiso

For me, this was a delightful love letter to the joy of the movie theater and all that occurs when we get together as a crowd to enjoy any given movie. As expressed by the citizens of this small town and how enamored they are with the local movie house.
From its beginnings with the local priest censoring films (any time anyone kissed) to the fire and rebuilding to the end of the film and the funeral of its original projectionist, Alfredo. Along with its own demolition. Signifying a sad changing of how the collective enjoyment of such things is very much becoming the past.
Even though we follow Toto as a child and teenager and finally as a middle-aged man, it is still the citizens of the town and their involvement in the nightly viewing of so many different movies and all that transpires within, and at times, without the movie house that kept me so very much involved.
And yes, that finale as Salvatore (Toto) watches the film that Alfredo left for him was just all kinds of beautiful.
Ran is on my list of Kurosawa films I need to see.

18. Amelie is my #2!

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie)

This is very much my kind of whimsical, with a delightful and at times, an almost diabolical adeptness at trickery in our main character. Played wonderfully by Audrey Tautou, whom I loved previously in The DaVinci Code.
Watching this with my roommate, we chuckled, giggled, smirked and made all kinds of "awww!" noises by the very end of this. Enjoying this pixie of a girl with all the mischief and joy for life and love, while being too drenched in shyness to venture forth to experience it herself, Amelie decides to dedicate her energies and elaborate plans to aiding others.
Equally enjoyable, or perhaps even a little more so was when she exacted a kind of revenge.
Many of which were the source of many of the chuckles and giggles.
One of my favorite was near the beginning, in her childhood, on the neighbor who told her taking photos causes accidents. Or rather, his reactions as she'd pull the connection to his TV up on the roof, every single time his team scored a goal.
This came in second to the torment to the grocery owner. Those were priceless.

Couple these with the beautiful and delightfully eccentric moments of discovering the secret behind the torn up photos from the photo machine and the sprinkling of "bread crumbs" for the man she has a crush on and getting her dad to go on a journey by stealing his gnome and sending photos of him in different cities was adorable as all get out.
And I truly loved the romantic, happy ending. Their first kiss and the bike ride. Cue "awww!" noises.

The Passion of Joan of Arc

With nearly all close-ups used, we witness the courtroom drama unfold within the expressions and eyes of both Joan and her "judges" who's interest is simply finding a reason to condemn her. Having already decided on her fate.

I have heard they used the actual court proceedings as dialogue, which I appreciated. Though there were, quite often, times when people spoke and we were never given a placard to fill us in on some very intense situations.

What I found amazing was, that even with a mostly up-close camera style, it never grew wearisome, except for the heartbreaking emotions that hit us so hard, having no where else to look but within her eyes or see the calculating machinations of her British captors.
And even after that, the final drawing out of the burning at the stake was the most grueling I have ever seen. Equally heart-breaking as it was mesmerizing.
Downfall is another I need to see and finally,

Aguirre; The Wrath of God

Without having any real reason, I was in no rush to see this; thinking it wasn't going to be anything I'd be interested in.

I was wrong.

Though a few scenes were a little disturbing, others were quite amusing and Kinski, of course, did a compelling job as the brooding usurper chasing after an illusion in pursuit of fame and glory.

Much like the opening scene, there were countless "shots" that catches the eye, including giving a sense of intimate dread on the rafts on the Amazon.
I did find myself cheering for the natives as they picked off the Spaniards one after the other. Appreciating the foreboding of rarely seeing the arrows or darts, only the end result of them sticking out of their victim. Adding another unattainable force to the mix: the elusive enemy.

I must say I was expecting something more grandiose of an ending when it came to his final spiral into madness. Not that I thought what occurred wasn't effective, it was. It retained the slow brooding of previously and I did enjoyed it. I think I merely read more into the reviews I had previously read.

I will be revisiting this movie and, most likely, appreciating it even more.

Movies Seen: 46 of 85 (54.11%)
1. Severely doubt it
2. Amélie (2001) #18
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
7. The Cranes are Flying (1957) #28
8. Yojimbo (1961) #42
9. Quite possible
10. Not gonna happen

11. Harakiri (1962) #37
12. Le Samouraï (1967) #30
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
14. Definitely
15. Very possible
16. Sincerely doubt it, but who knows

17. The 400 Blows (1959) #35
18. Hell no
19. Paprika (2006) #100
20. La dolce vita (1960) #27
21. High and Low (1963) #41
22. Late Spring (1949) #26
23. Oldboy (2003) #21
24. Wild Strawberries (1957) #33
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Rectification List
1. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) #43

I like Aguirre but it wasn't a contender for my ballot.

3. Downfall (#16)
6. Pather Panchali (#47)
8. Children of Paradise (#58)
9. The Skin I Live In (#92)
10. Contempt (#71)
11. Harakiri (#37)
12. Woman in the Dunes (#22)
14. Sundays and Cybele (#73)
16. Samurai Rebellion (#79)
20. The 400 Blows (#35)
23. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (#36)
24. Three Colors: Red (#54)
25. High and Low (#41)

I forgot the opening line.
Downfall was my number 7 - it's such a painstakingly detailed account of the Battle of Berlin and the last days of Adolf Hitler. One of the most extraordinary true stories in history. The film hooks it's narrative onto the story of Traudl Junge, but thankfully doesn't base the whole thing on her sometimes dubious testimony. After an interesting prologue that humanises Hitler (he was just a man, after all) we're taken not only into his notorious 'bunker' but the streets of Berlin. How damned impressive it is that it won't just settle for Hitler's rantings and ravings - the film becomes a war epic as we watch the waste and tragedy of old men and children fighting, and being executed, for a completely awful and lost cause. Is Bruno Ganz cinema's greatest Hitler? I've seen Anthony Hopkins, Alec Guinness and Derek Jacobi try their hand at playing the dictator - sometimes quite well - but they don't come near Ganz's performance. Incredible scenes include Magda Goebbels killing her own six children, Eva Braun and various German officials dancing in the Reichskanziel as the end approaches and Hitler, completely divorced from reality, raging at his all-too-loyal generals. A turning point in a nation coming to terms with it's past.

Downfall wasn't the only Oliver Hirschbiegel film on my list.

As I've said before, Werner Herzog's films with Klaus Kinski are all excellent, but somehow I didn't pick any for this countdown - I think because I can't choose one over any other. I might have picked Nosferatu anyway, and I doubt that's going to appear now. Aguirre is great, and I have no problem at all with it featuring highly here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 26
Films that have been on my radar : 11
Films I've never even heard of : 45
Films I've heard of : 4

Films from my list : 9

#16 - My #7 - Downfall - (2004) - Germany
#18 - My #16 - Amélie - (2001) - France
#21 - My #20 - Oldboy - (2003) - South Korea
#25 - My #5 - Das Boot - (1981) - Germany
#43 - My #4 - Grave of the Fireflies - (1988) - Japan
#33 - My #10 - Wild Strawberries - (1957) - Sweden
#57 - My #21 - Memories of Murder - (2003) - South Korea
#70 - My #24 - Run Lola Run - (1998) - Germany
One pointer - My #25 - Audition - (1999) - Japan

I just watched High and Low. It wouldn't have made my list, but it came pretty damn close. I though the camera didn't do much to play up the tension so it's not perfect, but the complexity and last ten minutes made for a perfect story that barely needed character development.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
ANNOUNCEMENT!

I am going away for a couple of days so will not be able to update on the usual schedule.

Therefore I will post FOUR movies today, there will be a short hiatus and the list will resume on Sunday with the top ten.

Plenty of time for you to discuss today's movies and come up with your ordered top ten predictions. I don't think anyone has correctly guessed the top ten in order in any of the other lists, and I doubt anyone will this time, but why not have a go?

232 points, 14 lists
14. City of God

Director

Fernando Meirelles, Katia Lund 2002

Starring

Alexandre Rodrigues, Leandro Firmino, Phellipe Haagensen, Douglas Silva

236 points, 14 lists
13. Rashomon

Director

Akira Kurosawa, 1950

Starring

Toshiro Mifune, Machiko Kyo, Takashi Shimura, Masayuki Mori