Loki (Marvel series)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Haven't started this yet. Will probably still be a while before I do, so I guess I'm OK to click on all these spoiler tags to read what I have no context of at the moment and will probably forget in the months it takes to remember I'm subbed to Disney+ and that this series is there. I still haven't finished WandaVision =\

I will say that I have rewatched Iron Man, Ant Man and the first Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm OK with that. All three were still pretty fun. I'm not sure I can make it all the way back through to End Game(s) though. I'd like to take on Black Panther again, but that's down the list some.

I KINDA feel guilty for some reason.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You ready? You look ready.
Hmm, well it's a good thing that spoiler is lame. Otherwise I would probably be annoyed. But that character is a putz.

Just when I thought this show had the goods it goes and does something stupid. Gotta make that Marvel stamp count for something.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Saw the finale, and...

I guess they decided they didn't need this show to be as standalone as some of their other efforts. They're leaning into fan service and easter eggs more over time, it seems.
...sadly this seems to be the case. As mentioned earlier, if you setup a big mystery/identity, it's essentially a narrative requirement that the reveal either be someone we already know, or someone with a connection to the characters that functions as if we knew them (IE: it was his estranged father! It's his long-lost brother!). This was neither, and the only justification for such a massive departure from (completely necessary) convention is that they're using Loki to setup something else, rather than intending it to stand on its own.

That's a mostly new (and fairly concerning) development for the MCU, I think. One of the things I've appreciated is that they've brought the non-comic normies into things. Part of that's been taking their time easing into the wackier, criss-crossier elements of their vast, duct-taped, retconned-to-death storylines over the years, but the other part is making sure each film and show has stood as a story on its own, even while tying into the larger world. That's been the really impressive thing, and it's a little disconcerting that they've kinda just abandoned it here.

My suspicion is it's more of a film-show split, where the films will keep to what's been working, but the shows will be more like bonuses for diehard fans. That's unfortunate, but the damage to this grand experiment will be minimal if it's relegated to just one medium.

I was able to stay awake during the 6th and final episode.. I thought the series was very watchable, but the last ep seemed weak. I suppose they were just setting up additional seasons.

Hiddleson, as Loki, is an enormously charismatic guy, even when acting silly. To me the character of Sylvie (Sophia Di Martino) was silly and ridiculous early on, but she kind of grew on me, especially when she got away from the ninja stuff and started to get into an attraction relationship with Loki. Maybe they'll get back together..

The whole Marvel thing has gotten a little long in the tooth for me, although I can see its appeal. My wife enjoys it. Carry on.

Really?! REALLY?! You think they would have learned their lesson from Iron Man 3. Dont set up your big bad boss all throughout the series or movie and then gyp you with some goofy skinless apple eating couch potato..... and who gives a crap about Jonathan Majors anyway, Lovecraft Country SUCKED !

I havent watched Winter Falcon or WandaVision yet, and hope theyre better.

I really enjoyed the series, and out of the three Disney+ ones, I would say it was the most consistently solid.

About the finale...

WARNING: spoilers below

I really, really dug Jonathan Majors' performance, mostly because he managed to transmit a sense of dread within his laid-back, chill attitude.

Though they kinda did Kang dirty making him silly and not the disaffected menacing monster that he really is.
As someone who doesn't have comic book knowledge, I didn't mind it. But as I was commenting to someone else on Twitter, who we saw was just a "variant" of that character (it wasn't even identified as Kang, but I digress). Maybe when the Kang "variant" comes, Majors will make adjustments to his performance to fit the attitude of that "variant". Who knows.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Oh amusing bump. I'm just starting The Zany Adventures of Loki right now. Reached the titles. Hiddleston does his very best to emulate Chuck Jones characters (try harder, Tom, okay, no, try less hard), and the episode's Brazil-like logic evokes memories of funny videogames, which would be a promising start for a videogame. Not so much for a tv episode. I mean, I'm bored. Why am I bored ? The titles mean it didn't even start yet, I shouldn't be bored. Why do I feel like taking a break at the title screen of the 1st episode ?

I'll give it its chance. Earnest. I want to enjoy it (I like time travel shenanigans, and I like the MCU Loki character, what can go wrong ?). Just... in a minute.

-----

Ok. A couple minutes deeper, and I'm lost already. Is it french that they were supposed to speak here ? I had to re-play the bit two or three times to make out the words. Also, what's happening, why is Loki's timeline breach punished after so many movies of time paradoxes, also, time travelers doing guesswork on a crime scene ? Why don't they just... no never mind never mind, this will all be logically explained in a moment. It will make sense, I'll feel silly for even asking, I know.

-----

Ok. Lampshaded in the most deliberately ridiculous way in the following scene. All is forgiven. I can relax and enjoy.

-----

Ok. I'm sold. The start was a bit rough, felt disconnected in many ways, felt too much like "green screen, the series", making me wonder when actors were actually in front of each others. But it developed unexpectedly well. Looking forward to the rest of it.

-----

Ok. Came for the Hiddleston, staying for the Di Martino, the Mosaku and the Wilson. Three episodes in, found the third one boring and formulaic, but still surprisingly pleased overall.

-----

Ok, so The Master and the other incarnation of The Master both survived the end of Gallifrey, but the "Rose Tyler, I" got cut short. I stay confused about some points (Marvel really has to decide what is "magic" and what is "advanced technology"), I'm still taken aback by the occasionally gaping plot hole (people betting their lives on information given to them by people who just openly betrayed them), and enjoying the soundtrack does't prevent me from finding it derivative (I assume the composer had just watched Pacific Rim).

What, only the finale left ? Already ?

-----

Ok, that was a satisfactory finale (even if a predictable outcome given the MCU plans). I'm in for any sequel. Go nuts.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ok, so The Master and the other incarnation of The Master both survived the end of Gallifrey...

lol I just started this and finished episode 3. I'm cracking up at your commentary and I'm so glad to see I'm not alone on the Dr. Who vibe.