25th Hall of Fame

Tools    

While it's not a great choice for a General HoF, I don't think it's an intentional troll pick. I don't know Ueno's taste well since I haven't interacted with them very much, but based on what they nominated for the Asian HoF, I think odd films are just their jam.

If this was coming from someone with a history of trolling (Guap is really the only one who comes to mind, and I didn't experience the majority of his supposed antics so this is mainly hearsay), then maybe I'd think otherwise.
I was just writing something similar:

I don't think Themroc is a troll nom, it's rated at 7.1 on IMDB. It's an arthouse film that might be annoying to many and it was a blind nom. Uenostation also nominated an unusual arthouse film in the Asian HoF Hanagatami. So Themroc fits in with their taste. Uenostation mentioned having unusual film taste somewhere.

I want everyone to feel welcomed especially new people like Uenostation

While it's not a great choice for a General HoF, I don't think it's an intentional troll pick. I don't know Ueno's taste well since I haven't interacted with them very much, but based on what they nominated for the Asian HoF, I think odd films are just their jam.

If this was coming from someone with a history of trolling (Guap is really the only one who comes to mind, and I didn't experience the majority of his supposed antics so this is mainly hearsay), then maybe I'd think otherwise.
But he had never even seen the movie. If you blind nom Gone With The Wind because you haven’t seen it, I can give that a pass. The idea of these is supposed to be to get a movie into the HOF.

Going off of this post, it doesn't seem like ueno_station54 picked Themroc to troll us. It was something they hadn't seen before which looked interesting to them.

I'm not trying to get anyone, Sean...you're one of my favorite MoFos and I'm glad you're back!
You’re right. This is a new member and some of this probably comes from a place of being frustrated in the past. It’s not welcoming, I apologize. I am moving on.

Speaking of that post SpelingError linked to...
So for our last HoF I felt kind of lame for just picking my favourite eligible film so this time I picked something I've never seen or even really heard of.
I know myself (and a few others) have said multiple times before that we enjoy these HoFs because they often expose us to new films, and things we would never have otherwise watched. Themroc certainly fits that bill.

Going off of this post, it doesn't seem like ueno_station54 picked Themroc to troll us. it was something they hadn't seen which looked interesting to them.
Thanks for posting that. I think it explains a lot....In fact a lot of HoF members like to choose noms that are obscure and unusual, others go for noms that are well known heavy hitters...Either way it's all good.

*I've chosen blind noms before too, which is fine, many of us do.

Let the night air cool you off
By the way, Ueno isn't a new member. They are formerly known as martyrofevil and signed up 13 years ago, but was less active than they are now. They made a new account and have been more active this year.

In my experiences, nominating a film which you haven't seen, nor know anything about generally doesn't result in most people enjoying that film (quite the opposite, actually), but the mystery in whether everyone will like that film is the fun of doing that, in my opinion.

I've chosen blind noms before too, which is fine, many of us do.
I don't think I have confidence in my own taste (based off trailers or short descriptions online) to ever pick a blind nomination for a HoF haha.

In my experiences, nominating a film which you haven't seen, nor know anything about generally doesn't result in most people enjoying that film
I think it's probably somewhat safe to go with a blind nom if it's from a director whose other work you really enjoy, especially if they're a well-known and beloved filmmaker.

I think it's probably somewhat safe to go with a blind nom if it's from a director whose other work you really enjoy, especially if they're a well-known and beloved filmmaker.
Yep, very true. However, I'm mostly referring to blindly nominating a film where you aren't familiar with anyone who worked on it, nor its ratings on IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, etc.

Did not expect picking the silly caveman movie to cause so much ire, lmao. To anyone mad about that pick I already had to sit through Whiplash for this so we're even.
No worries, you're good

For what it's worth, I love weird films, so I'm looking forward to watching it.

Ueno is Martyofevil? Martyofevil was awesome, a source of some good recs.

Anyway, I liked Themroc. I've never seen anything like it.
For those mofos with way off the beaten path taste that need to know how to nominate to a general audience. The quoted mofo should be your mentor.

Let the night air cool you off
For those mofos with way off the beaten path taste that need to know how to nominate to a general audience. The quoted mofo should be your mentor.
This sounds a lot like you are advocating for a uniform style of film to be nominated by everybody thus completely eliminating the fun. These things are great because people nominate films they love or I guess in this case films they expect to love. I’m not big on blind noms, but if they are allowed at least there is some variety with it. Anybody could look at the IMDb top 250 and just nominate whatever is next on the list. Give me more Themrocs and weird sh*t that probably won’t win.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
By the way, Ueno isn't a new member. They are formerly known as martyrofevil and signed up 13 years ago, but was less active than they are now. They made a new account and have been more active this year.
Ueno is Martyofevil?
It took this long to figure it out?

This sounds a lot like you are advocating for a uniform style of film to be nominated by everybody thus completely eliminating the fun. These things are great because people nominate films they love or I guess in this case films they expect to love. I’m not big on blind noms, but if they are allowed at least there is some variety with it. Anybody could look at the IMDb top 250 and just nominate whatever is next on the list. Give me more Themrocs and weird sh*t that probably won’t win.
Pretty wide gap between the two extremes you’re talking about. Start a recommend me weird sh*t thread and have a blast.