Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

With a name like that you're just begging not to be taken seriously
The best (or worst) part is that he claims he chose the name Megaton after the Hiroshima A-bomb...

Except, that bomb wasn't a Megaton explosion.

Too good.

Or bad.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Tenth Avenue Angel (Roy Rowland, 1948)
5.5/10
Seven Stages to Achieve Eternal Bliss (Vivieno Caldinelli, 2018)
5/10
Body (Malgorzata Szumowska, 2015)
6/10
Remember the Night (Mitchell Leisen, 1940)
7+/10

Terrific Christmas romance between shoplifter Barbara Stanwyck and assistant D.A. Fred MacMurray.
Slay Belles (SpookyDan Walker, 2018)
5/10
Yellow Rose (Diane Paragas, 2019)
6/10
City of Missing Girls (Elmer Clifton, 1941)
5/10
The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960)
7+/10

Not yet, Shirley, not yet.
The Last Shift (Andrew Cohn, 2020)
5.5/10
Bell Book and Candle (Richard Quine, 1958)
6.5/10
True to the Game 2 (Jamal Hill, 2020)
4/10
The African Queen (John Huston, 1951)
7/10

Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart fibd adventure and romance WWI East Africa.
The Red Badge of Courage (John Huston, 1951)
6.5/10
Two Ways Home (Ron Vignone, 2020)
+ 5/10
The Square Peg (John Paddy Carstairs, 1958)
+ 6/10
The China Syndrome (James Bridges, 1979)
7/10

Nuclear plant floor manager Jack Lemmon may be the only employee who'll admit it's unsafe.
Edward and Caroline (Jacques Becker, 1951)
- 6.5/10
Kidnapped (William Beaudine, 1948)
+ 5/10
Flipper (James B. Clark, 1963)
6/10
Evil Under the Sun (Guy Hamilton, 1982)
7/10

Everybody's a suspect and everybody has an alibi in another entertaining Hercule Poirot (Peter Ustinov) mystery.

I guess we have different values. Personally, I don't care for mass murderers.
Yet you have no problem calling the Unabomber one of your heroes:

Unabomber: In His Own Words - 10/10
All of my heroes seem to be artists, with the exception of Ted Kaczynski and Jimmy Hoffa.
It would be great if he did more interviews and talked a bit about the current societal mess.

Pretty In Pink
(1986)
4/5

Pretty In Pink is a favorite film because it's one I can relate to. I graduated in 1985 and I went to a high school that had a mixed variety of social and economical classes.

We had guys who were like Blane, who got along with everyone even though his economic status of his family was higher than most.

We had the a**hole rich guy like Steff, who basically insulted anyone who was below his family's economic and social status.

We had guys and girls who were like Duckie and Andie, they were ones who wore clothing of the more pop and punkish styles. Again, because again of social and economic status, bought from 2nd hand shops but made the clothing styles.

There were girls like Steff's girlfriend, Benny, who were straight-up mean b**ches and girls who were like Jena, Andie's friend, who was rebellious to authority.

Other reasons I enjoy this film;

1. Jon Cryer's comedy
2. Harry Dean Stanton as Andi's father - an amazing actor.
3. Steff's attitude makes me seriously dislike James Spader. I have seen a few of his films but they were film choices by a friend and of course he's in an Avenger's movie as the voice of Ultron.
4. Always been a fan of Andrew McCarty and Molly Ringwald as they are part of the 80s brat pack.
5. Annie Potts, her character of Iona fits her personality. I made a joke before about her playing Sheldon's Memaw on Young Sheldon and compared it to how she was in Pretty In Pink.
6. The film's music - love the 80s songs - OMD's "If You Leave" and Nik Kershaw's "Wouldn't It Be Nice" are songs that are memorable and still played today.

The trick is not minding

Pretty In Pink
(1986)
4/5

Pretty In Pink is a favorite film because it's one I can relate to. I graduated in 1985 and I went to a high school that had a mixed variety of social and economical classes.

We had guys who were like Blane, who got along with everyone even though his economic status of his family was higher than most.

We had the a**hole rich guy like Steff, who basically insulted anyone who was below his family's economic and social status.

We had guys and girls who were like Duckie and Andie, they were ones who wore clothing of the more pop and punkish styles. Again, because again of social and economic status, bought from 2nd hand shops but made the clothing styles.

There were girls like Steff's girlfriend, Benny, who were straight-up mean b**ches and girls who were like Jena, Andie's friend, who was rebellious to authority.

Other reasons I enjoy this film;

1. Jon Cryer's comedy
2. Harry Dean Stanton as Andi's father - an amazing actor.
3. Steff's attitude makes me seriously dislike James Spader. I have seen a few of his films but they were film choices by a friend and of course he's in an Avenger's movie as the voice of Ultron.
4. Always been a fan of Andrew McCarty and Molly Ringwald as they are part of the 80s brat pack.
5. Annie Potts, her character of Iona fits her personality. I made a joke before about her playing Sheldon's Memaw on Young Sheldon and compared it to how she was in Pretty In Pink.
6. The film's music - love the 80s songs - OMD's "If You Leave" and Nik Kershaw's "Wouldn't It Be Nice" are songs that are memorable and still played today.
This makes me wonder what you looked like during your senior year. 🤔

Pretty In Pink
(1986)
4/5

I was like Blane, I got along with everyone I had friends who were jocks, friends who were brains, friends who were stoners, friends who were called geeks. But I didn't come from a rich family, but I did have a good sense of fashion!

Detour - This 1945 uber noir packs a lot into its 67 minute runtime. Directed by Edgar G. Ulmer and starring Tom Neal and Ann Savage, it's a straightforward enough thriller with Neal playing NYC nightclub pianist Al Roberts. His singer girlfriend Sue (Claudia Drake) decides to leave for LA to pursue her dreams of stardom, leaving Al to do some serious moping when he isn't tickling the ivories. After a drunken customer leaves him a ten dollar tip (which the perpetually lugubrious Al describes as "a piece of paper crawling with germs") he too heads to California to reunite with Sue. Being mostly broke he hitchhikes and gets picked up by sporty gambler Charles Haskell (Edmund MacDonald). After an accident Al decides to assume the identity of the now deceased Haskell. This is when this already darkish noir takes a turn into even darker, surrealistic territory. Al picks up a disheveled lady hitchhiker named Vera (Savage) who he comes to find out is the crazy woman Haskell had mentioned picking up then jettisoning. She puts two and two together and susses out that Al has somehow killed Haskell. He is then forced to give up Haskell's bankroll and drive the increasingly belligerent Vera to Los Angeles.

Ulmer directed this on a minuscule budget of 30,000.00 dollars and frankly it shows. Not to the point where it detracts from the story though. If anything, things like inexplicably sweaty performers and an implausibly fogbound walk on city streets that are plainly camouflaged soundstages add to the gonzo vibe. And even though I did find myself laughing at some of the dialogue and acting choices it was never disparaging. It was more like wonder at the sheer audacity on display. Ulmer also directed one of my favorite old time horror movies, The Black Cat, with Karloff and Lugosi. He’s also responsible for two other unconventional, low budget offerings that I enjoyed, Beyond the Time Barrier and The Man from Planet X. Watch this if you haven’t already. 90/100

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Sound of Metal

I don't know what I expected from a film like this, but it felt more personal and introspective than I anticipated. There is a calmness to this film, which is ironic because it's about a drug-addicted metal drummer having to deal with the fact that he's losing his hearing. The surprise at the stillness of everything was a welcomed one and it made me appreciate the attention to detail present in the filmmaking style.

Ruben is the drummer for a two-person metal band. The singer is his girlfriend and they travel via RV to different cities to play their music. It's not a glamourous life, but one that suits them. One day Ruben's hearing suddenly diminishes, to the point where he can't even hear someone talking to him face to face. He finds help ina deaf community that teaches people how to live their lives with the loss of their hearing. The one issue is that his girlfriend, Lou, cannot be anywhere near them. She takes a flight back home and Ruben is now stranded and needing to learn how to re-live his life.

There's a film titled It's All Gone Pete Tong, which deals with a DJ who loses his ability to hear. He then learns how to DJ through vibrations by sticking speakers under his feet. The film was a comedy with an underlining sense of earnestness. Sound of Metal has no funny bits to it. The content is serious and handled in that manner. One of the creative aspects infused with the film is that while Ruben is learning sign language, the language is subtitled. It's broken subtitles at first, but as he progresses through, it becomes clearer. The sound design is something to take note of. Multiple times we are thrust into Ruben's world and we hear exactly what he does. Muffled voices, low pinging, stuff that would drive you nuts, stuff that would make you appreciate your ability to hear. Late in the film, Ruben makes a decision that is difficult for him, morally and financially. The results are less than what was expected. It's heartbreaking to see the disappointment on someone's face when they were hoping for something more and got less.

A stellar performance from Riz Ahmed showcasing the frustration it takes on the mind and body. He learned how to sign ASL and play the drums. Small things that sell the performance more.

Suspect's Reviews

He’s also responsible for two other unconventional, low budget offerings that I enjoyed, Beyond the Time Barrier and The Man from Planet X.
Watched both of those about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised by both. Good stuff.

I felt similarly about it, which was a surprise for me (albeit a pleasant one), considering that I felt the original kind of lazily coasted off the basic novelty of having its main character sarcastically break the 4th wall, without having him doing much of anything genuinely clever in the process; 2, on the other hand, put more effort into its jokes, and although it's hardly high art, it still made its way into that Family Guy/Austin Powers guilty pleasure zone of comedy that I enjoy, where it has enough genuinely clever, funny gags to make it enjoyable, despite still being "low-calorie" entertainment on the whole, like in that great skydiving sequence:

But yeah, I always found TJ Miller to be obnoxious and unfunny in everything I've seen him in, even before I knew about his problematic personal life; I can't remember if they've announced it or not, but hopefully he won't be returning for 3.

My Darth Star is in for a service
CARS 3

Recorded it on my PVR and finally got round to watching it yesterday.
I'm a fan of Pixar animations as their characters are larger than life types.
Coming up against the new breed of hi tech cars Lightening McQueen has to adapt or retire.
Tow Mater and the rest of the characters make this a very good film, it is colourful and entertaining and will keep kids (both young and old like me) glued to the screen.

8/10

CARS 3

Recorded it on my PVR and finally got round to watching it yesterday.
I'm a fan of Pixar animations as their characters are larger than life types.
Coming up against the new breed of hi tech cars Lightening McQueen has to adapt or retire.
Tow Mater and the rest of the characters make this a very good film, it is colourful and entertaining and will keep kids (both young and old like me) glued to the screen.

8/10
omg thats one of my favorite scenes of the movie lol

God bless Ukraine for their patriotism. God bless Ukraine for their freedom.
The world should take notes on how you make a revolution!
This documentary deserved a 7 hours minisseries that go beyond the fight against Viktor Yanukovych and his mercenaries. The war in Donbass should have been showed. Also, the private military groups wasn't covered in this documentary, Pravyy Sektor for example was always a huge stand against the government. Judging by how countries like USA tries to make this privaty armies look, I can undestund why they left them out.
Thanks for the tip. We watched this last night, and quickly became caught up in this stirring drama of Ukraine ousting Yanukovych and establishing their independence.

It was thrilling and gratifying to see tens of thousands of Ukrainians massing together for 4 months in mostly peaceful protest with demands for liberty, despite putting themselves in danger from Yanukovych's police.

I'm not sure that they haven't jumped from the "fire into the frying pan" by joining the EU. But at least they have more freedom, and EU membership will prevent any future designs that Russia may have to annex Ukraine.

The documentary was well done, and held one's interest from start to finish. Some of the photography was impressive because of how dangerous it was to get recorded. Good stuff.

~Doc

But yeah, I always found TJ Miller to be obnoxious and unfunny in everything I've seen him in, even before I knew about his problematic personal life; I can't remember if they've announced it or not, but hopefully he won't be returning for 3.
I read in the trivia section that the stories about him really broke after this one had been filmed and he won't be back for the future installments.

Victim of The Night
George W. Bush lied and killed millions in a war that will never end. Putin is a choirboy compared to our "leaders".
No.