VHS comedy era comedy Hall of fame III (1977-1989)

Tools    

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

[waking up after sharing the same bed on the motel]
Neal: Del... Why did you kiss my ear?
Del: Why are you holding my hand?
Neal: [frowns] Where's your other hand?
Del: Between two pillows...
Neal: Those aren't pillows!
[they both leap out of bed, screaming and shaking their hands in disgust]

I remember being kinda so-so with this when it first came out. Don't remember why I felt that way, I just did.

This time around. . . rather enjoyed it. Definitely much more than I once did.
Chuckled quite a bit and found Candy's character kind of endearing actually. Kind of makes me wonder how much of that inner John Candy was brought out for Del.

Steve Martin does very well as the "straight man". His frustrations and outrage is very palpable and you really feel for the guy as every nightmare horror of Holiday traveling is brought to life.
Like his long-@ss walk back from the rental parking lot TO the rental desk where he spouts the only swearing involved in the movie. The amount making up for the rest of the time. And, of course, Edie McClurg was PERFECT for the Agent who ends it with telling him, "I guess you're f@cked."

Hughes does well bringing comedy to characters that appear very cliched, but end up with far more emotional depth. We get to see that as Neal and Del's adventure gets worse and worse and worse. And somehow, somehow, their friendship grows by the end of it.
I, too, liked this movie a lot better the second time I watched it. Steve Martin is terrific.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

When Harry Met Sally

Jess: Marriages don't break up on account of infidelity. It's just a symptom that something else is wrong.
Harry Burns: Oh really? Well, that "symptom" is f@cking my wife.

I think I just ran the same gambit as Sally felt about Harry, as I did with this film.
It's hard to stay angry with it.

Let me explain that.
At first, much like Sally, I found Crystal's Harry pretty annoying. (Who, I discovered was based on Director Rob Reiner. Much like Sally had a lot of ground work, especially when it came to ordering food, with the screen writer Nora Ephron.) But, anyway, he bugged the hell out of me and so I was a bit put off as he kept shoving his way into conversations with her.
But, then, as Sally and I got past the facades and more in depth as they became friends, I also began to enjoy this film.
While, at times, trying to figure out why several reviews I've read kept saying this was a remake of Annie Hall. I couldn't see it beyond the "be sure to write your name in your books," line, it just wasn't there and that bugged me until I just ignored it and simply went with the progress of the "friend"-ship.

I think some of the really enjoyable spots were the old couples saying how they got together. My favorite was the two who talked at the same time. He'd state something, she'd add more detail, and neither one talked over the other. There was a beautiful flow and harmony to them where you could hear each of them perfectly and not miss anything. That's so rare.
I really loved that. Such an adorable couple.
And then to end the film with Harry and Sally doing the same thing. VERY nice.

The trick is not minding
And, I do believe, with that, we are done folks!!
Yay! Now we wait...

In regards to your excellent review above, I don’t think anyone has said Harry met Sally was a remake of Annie Hall, rather that it took inspirations from it, which is different.

I had some reservations about Crystal as well, as he was too old for it, but he manages to succeed in the role despite that.
Probably because it was tailored to fit his personality some.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yay! Now we wait...

In regards to your excellent review above, I don’t think anyone has said Harry met Sally was a remake of Annie Hall, rather that it took inspirations from it, which is different.

I had some reservations about Crystal as well, as he was too old for it, but he manages to succeed in the role despite that.
Probably because it was tailored to fit his personality some.
That's probably more correct and I'm remembering the reviews badly.
ohboy....what Ed's list just did....

And thanks Ed I'm now in a very awkward situation with my ballot...damn you Ed
That's why when I'm a host I always try to vote first or at least early in the HoF, and then lock my own ballot down, that way I don't have to be in that kind of situation.

That's why when I'm a host I always try to vote first or at least early in the HoF, and then lock my own ballot down, that way I don't have to be in that kind of situation.

See I go the opposite direction and try and vote last to break ties, I also work slowly so I can keep the updates going and keep up with the stragglers. I use my reviews as save points.

The couple of times I've hosted, I didn't read any of the other ballots until I'd finalized my own.

Other people's rankings should have no influence on your own. I think it's really unfair for the host to try to change the results of a HoF by altering their own list. If film A is your third favourite nomination, it should be third on your list, not 5th because other films getting a few extra points would break some ties, or even worse, allow film B to win instead.

If this has secretly been common practice all along, then I don't think the host of a HoF should get a vote at all.

The trick is not minding
The couple of times I've hosted, I didn't read any of the other ballots until I'd finalized my own.

Other people's rankings should have no influence on your own. I think it's really unfair for the host to try to change the results of a HoF by altering their own list. If film A is your third favourite nomination, it should be third on your list, not 5th because other films getting a few extra points would break some ties, or even worse, allow film B to win instead.

If this has secretly been common practice all along, then I don't think the host of a HoF should get a vote at all.
Agreed with the above. Voting shouldn’t have a strategic value to it, but rather be based upon how you feel about the nominees and the ballot order should reflect that.
To alter the results in such a manner goes against the spirit of the HOF.

Agreed with the above. Voting shouldn’t have a strategic value to it, but rather be based upon how you feel about the nominees and the ballot order should reflect that.
To alter the results in such a manner goes against the spirit of the HOF.

You might want to wait till you see the results before making that call. I think if you invest your time into something like this you should vote however you wish. But I'll post two sets of results if you want...one with my ballot and one without, and you guys can decide which winner you want.

Well that's nice for you

Other people's rankings should have no influence on your own. . If film A is your third favourite nomination, it should be third on your list, not 5th because other films getting a few extra points would break some ties, or even worse, allow film B to win instead.

If I were to put my list based on stars...

Often times my feelings on certain films are so close that the line between 6 and 8 or even in this case 1 to 3

I think it's really unfair for the host to try to change the results of a HoF by altering their own list If this has secretly been common practice all along, then I don't think the host of a HoF should get a vote at all.
I see so you think it's unfair to break ties, that's your opinion. I have an opinion as well I don't think you have the right to take away someones ballot in a game you aren't playing. You have had two hall of fames since I have joined this forum and I participated in both of them. I have done five hall of fames and you have failed to participate in any of them. I've done a number of things that you might feel is "unfair", but why should I answer to you? You aren't putting in the work and I think it's fair to have as decisive an order as possible.

Nobody knows what films I nominated and yet without that knowledge I can tell you this they did better than everyone elses before I put my ballot in. Had I put my nomination at the top of my list it would have won, I didn't do that I voted for someone else.

As for secret rules and what not...those don't exist. I would have loved to have received guidance when doing these halls but I didn't. For those that have participated they seem to have enjoyed them.

I have an opinion as well I don't think you have the right to take away someones ballot in a game you aren't playing.
I wasn't demanding that your ballot shouldn't count in this Hall of Fame. I was saying that if this has been an ongoing concern, in future HoFs it might be better for the host to remain neutral and not have a vote. Obviously that's not up to me, but rather for everyone to decide as a group; I was just throwing the suggestion out there for people to weigh in.

You have had two hall of fames since I have joined this forum and I participated in both of them. I have done five hall of fames and you have failed to participate in any of them. I've done a number of things that you might feel is "unfair", but why should I answer to you? You aren't putting in the work and I think it's fair to have as decisive an order as possible.
Who joined whose HoFs is wholly irrelevant to anything I said. But no, I haven't joined any of the HoFs you hosted, because I was either too busy or wasn't interested in the theme of the HoF. However after this comment, I won't be joining any future ones for wholly different reasons. I mean, apparently I don't put in any work, so why would you want me to participate anyway? Don't bother answering that, since I won't be back in this thread.

Goodbye.

I wasn't demanding that your ballot shouldn't count in this Hall of Fame. I was saying that if this has been an ongoing concern, in future HoFs it might be better for the host to remain neutral and not have a vote. Obviously that's not up to me, but rather for everyone to decide as a group; I was just throwing the suggestion out there for people to weigh in.

That's right you weren't demanding that my ballot shouldn't count but seeing as how you are questioning my ethics that's what's going to happen. I'm going to let the group decide if my ballot is valid. You want to remove the host from doing a Hall of Fame, these Hall of Fame are already having poor turnout, in a game where you decided that you did not want to contribute you want to be a part of the group.

Who joined whose HoFs is wholly irrelevant to anything I said. But no, I haven't joined any of the HoFs you hosted, because I was either too busy or wasn't interested in the theme of the HoF. However after this comment, I won't be joining any future ones for wholly different reasons. I mean, apparently I don't put in any work, so why would you want me to participate anyway? Don't bother answering that, since I won't be back in this thread.

Goodbye.

riiiiiight

In the last hall of fame you did the following....
  • asked for an extension on the nominations
  • asked to nominate after the reveal
  • asked for the nominations to be revealed quicker for you
  • And then you decided...nah I'm good everyone else can do it
I attempted to accommodate you at every turn but you don't remember that do you. You don't like my response well I don't care for someone consistently wasting my time, questioning my character and making weird conspiracy allegations.

See I go the opposite direction and try and vote last to break ties, I also work slowly so I can keep the updates going and keep up with the stragglers. I use my reviews as save points.
That's completely wrong for a host to do, it's the same thing as rigging an election. The host voting ballot should never be influenced by what the other members have voted for on their ballots.

In what HoFs did you use your ballot to break ties or alter the final outcome of the movie order?

Agreed...that's exactly how it should be done by a host. That's why in the 20th HoF that I hosted I said this:
...Oh btw, I marked Ballot Received for myself which might seem odd but it just means that I've finished my voting list and so it won't be changing. As a host I try to get my list done asap then hermetically seal it in a safe place
As a host I try to get my own voting ballot done early and then it's 'locked' and I won't change it. I also don't calculate the points until all the ballots are in and the HoF is completed.

I don't think anyone else other than Siddon has done this, at least I sure hope not.

The trick is not minding
When will the reveal be made? I’d like to see the results both before and after your ballot was changed, and I’d also like to see your before and after ballot prior to the change as well please. I’d like to know how much this altered the course of the process before I come to any conclusion.

Agreed...that's exactly how it should be done by a host. That's why in the 20th HoF that I hosted I said this:
...Oh btw, I marked Ballot Received for myself which might seem odd but it just means that I've finished my voting list and so it won't be changing. As a host I try to get my list done asap then hermetically seal it in a safe place
As a host I try to get my own voting ballot done early and then it's 'locked' and I won't change it. I also don't calculate the points until all the ballots are in and the HoF is completed.

I don't think anyone else other than Siddon has done this, at least I sure hope not.
Although both sides of the argument have fair points, I personally just try to finish the Hall of Fame I’m hosting first so I don’t have to worry about it. I did so with Westerns II and hopefully with 21st. Once I make a ballot I won’t change it unless my opinion of the film actually changes it.