Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Blue who?

Ever read any Baldwin, crumms?

Among my papaerbacks is a Baldwin essay collection of Hollywood film, called The Devil Finds Work. It includes some of his thoughts on Godfather and Exorcist, which is a weird juxtaposition for me. I guess he lived long enough to see both, but I just never imagined him outside of his milieu. He also mentions seeing The Devils, which his brother remarked, "Ain't that some ****? I just wanted you to see how sick these people are." (It's never made clear if "these people" are white people or Christians, probably both.)

I'll leave a couple of excerpts, since I'm not sure if the book is still in print:

[The Exorcist], or its ambience, reminded me of The Godfather, both being afflicted with the same pious ambiguity. Ambiguity is not quite the word, for the film's intention is not at all ambiguous; yet, hypocrisy is not quite the word, either, since it suggests a more deliberate and sophisticated level of cunning. The Exorcist is desperately compulsive, and compulsive, precisely, in the terror of its unbelief. The vast quantities of tomato paste expended in The Godfather are meant to suggest vast reservoirs of courage, devotion and nobility, qualities with which the film is not in the least concerned - and which, apart from Brando's performance, are never present in it. (And, at that, it is probably more accurate to speak of Brando's presence, a pride, an agony, an irreducible dignity.) The Exorcist has absolutely nothing going for it, except Satan, who is certainly the star: I can say only that Satan was never like that when he crossed my path (for one thing, the evil one never so rudely underestimated me). His concerns were more various, and his methods more subtle. The Exorcist is not in the least concerned with damnation, an abysm far beyond the confines of its imagination, but with property, with safety, tax shelters, stocks and bonds, rising and falling markets, the continued invulnerability of a certain class of people, and the continued sanctification of a certain history. If The Exorcist itself believed this history, it could scarcely be reduced to so abject a dependence on special effects....

The mindless and hysterical banality of the evil presented in The Exorcist is the most terrifying thing about the film. The Americans should certainly know more about evil than that; if they pretend otherwise, they are lying, and any black man, and not only blacks - many, many others, including white children - can call them on this lie; he who has been treated as the devil recognizes the devil when they meet. At the end of The Exorcist, the demon-racked little girl murderess kisses the Holy Father, and she remembers nothing: she is departing with her mother, who will, presumably, soon make another film. The grapes of wrath are stored in the cotton fields and migrant shacks and ghettoes of this nation, and in the schools and prisons, and in the eyes and hearts and perceptions of the wretched everywhere, and in the ruined earth of Vietnam, and in the orphans and the widows, and in the old men, seeing visions, and in the young men, dreaming dreams: these have already kissed the bloody cross and will not bow down before it again: and have forgotten nothing.

Blue who?

Ever read any Baldwin, crumms?

Among my papaerbacks is a Baldwin essay collection of Hollywood film, called The Devil Finds Work. It includes some of his thoughts on Godfather and Exorcist, which is a weird juxtaposition for me. I guess he lived long enough to see both, but I just never imagined him outside of his milieu. He also mentions seeing The Devils, which his brother remarked, "Ain't that some ****? I just wanted you to see how sick these people are." (It's never made clear if "these people" are white people or Christians, probably both.)

Derek Jarmans Blue.

In regards to Baldwin, I've never read him before. He such a dynamic presence though that I found myself wanting more footage of him in the movie.

In regards to Baldwin, I've never read him before. He such a dynamic presence though that I found myself wanting more footage of him in the movie.
It's really worth watching the entire 1965 debate with William F. Buckley, even if the doc caught the highlight - the moment and look on Buck's face when he realizes that he's been trying to explain why black people need more education before getting equal rights to a black man who happens to be far smarter than he is. And with a smoother faux-British accent to boot!

Wouldn't it have been lovely if Baldwin and Jason Holliday had sat down for a filmed conversation over a drink or 12?

In my free time, I like to watch horror movies such as Veronica. My goal is to undertake some daring activities.

While I can't get enthusiastic in the rating of it, Tammy and the T Rex slowly became a movie that filled me with joy.

Not a good movie.

But joy.
I own the Vinegar Syndrome 4K release of the gore cut.

Joy indeed.

A Hard Day's Night is great, don't have any smart angle on this, just pure joy. I tried watching Help! back in high school, didn't get it at all. Probably should give it another shot, tbh.

Just wondering, have you ever commented on your feelings on Beatles movies?

Randomly curious.
I'm one of those monstrous villains that loves the Beatles but has never watched a single one. I'll probably snag the Criterion of A Hard Day's Night when I stop being such a son of a bitch.

A Hard Day's Night is great, don't have any smart angle on this, just pure joy. I tried watching Help! back in high school, didn't get it at all. Probably should give it another shot, tbh.

I'm mostly interested in the response to Help. I kind of hated it for a million years, and its definitely the least interesting of theirs as a film.

Hard Days Night, Yellow Submarine, Let it Be? All good. At least I assume.

But Help? Just wondered if anyone who doesn't love their music, gives this one a pass.

(years)

They should.

*shakes fist*

The Rutles is the best Beatles movie.
Oh man, I remember stumbling across this on TV back in high school and howling. Haven't thought about it for years, but would love to give it another viewing.

I'm one of those monstrous villains that loves the Beatles but has never watched a single one. I'll probably snag the Criterion of A Hard Day's Night when I stop being such a son of a bitch.

This filled me with agony.

Fix this.

I'm in agony.

I'm mostly interested in the response to Help. I kind of hated it for a million years, and its definitely the least interesting of theirs as a film.

Hard Days Night, Yellow Submarine, Let it Be? All good. At least I assume.

But Help? Just wondered if anyone who doesn't love their music, gives this one a pass.

(years)

They should.

*shakes fist*
Happy to be the guinea pig here.*I don't dislike the Beatles (because c'mon), but have no special love for their music.*

But first I have to get through my Vinegar Syndrome sale haul that just came in the mail.*My embarrassingly large, extremely shameful Vinegar Syndrome sale haul.**shakes head*

Happy to be the guinea pig here.*I don't dislike the Beatles (because c'mon), but have no special love for their music.*

But first I have to get through my Vinegar Syndrome sale haul that just came in the mail.*My embarrassingly large, extremely shameful Vinegar Syndrome sale haul.**shakes head*
Tammy and the T- Rex was not in the haul.*

*also shakes head*