Highlander remake (starring Henry Cavill)

Tools    

Ryan Reynolds Officially Cast As The HIGHLANDER

A while ago we heard that Lionsgate were after Ryan Reynolds to play the lead role in their planned remake/reboot of Highlander. Back then word was that the actor was the front-runner and both parties were keen to work together, but that it was still in the negotiation stages and he was free to pursue other projects. Well, according to The Tracking Board..

After roughly a month of negotiations, Ryan Reynolds has officially been cast in the lead role for HIGHLANDER. Reynolds will play Conner MacLeod, a Highlander who discovers he is one of a dwindling group of immortals who wander the earth and kill each other in combat for the final “Prize” – immortality.

I suppose somebody like Stone Cold Steve Austin will play The Kurgan.

The problem with Reynolds is that he always makes his characters a wisecrack.
Among many other reasons for its failures, he was just wrong for Green Lantern, didn't see any difference between his performance from Wolverine & Green Lantern.

For Kurgan, I wouldn't mind Kevin McKidd, Edgar Ramirez, Clive Owen, Dominic Purcell.

I actually don't mind Ryan Reynolds much, he has done some good work. I thought he out performed everybody in Smokin' Aces. Though, this does seem to be a little bit of a miscast. Who knows, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I do actually like the fact that this is getting a remake, though. If anything film needed a remake it was this.

genesis_pig mentioned Kevin McKidd for Kurgan... funnily enough, McKidd was supposed to play McLeod.
I was actually looking forward to the reboot if McKidd was in the lead.

Reynolds as a wisecracking Scotsman with an American accent? Won't work.

Well it's not like they didn't have a confused looking frenchman play Connor.

I doubt they'll go with the Scotsman thing. I imagine this will be a 'reimagining' and more americanised version of the story.

Lol. True Prestige, Lambert as a scot was funny as it is.. but one cant argue that Lambert has a very cool voice, something that Reynolds wont be able to top.
I spent my childhood trying to imitate Lambert's style of talking.

Reynolds was awesome in a indie film I saw ages ago, it had James Earl Jones in it & was set entirely in one room.. The problem with Reynolds is that he goes out of control in mainstream films, especially when he is in the lead.

When they were casting for Thor, I was really rooting for Jack Huston (John Huston's grandson). I would love to see him in a role like this, he played a viking in that alien movie with Caviezel & he was good.
I was also rooting for McKidd for Thor, but this Hemsworth kid is not bad either.

I doubt they'll with the Scotsman thing. I imagine this will be a 'reimagining' and more americanised version of the story.
You saying that they'll do away with the scotsman thing?
You do know its called Highlander, right?

I doubt they'll with the Scotsman thing. I imagine this will be a 'reimagining' and more americanised version of the story.
You saying that they'll do away with the scotsman thing?
You do know its called Highlander, right?
I get it, they could americanize it & call it Rip Van Winkle.
Or Yanklander?

I get it, they could americanize it & call it Rip Van Winkle.
Or Yanklander?
Anything's possible in Hollywood

I've just been reading the source material, and various other bits on the web as I thought genesis-pig made a typo... this seems to be actually what the filmmakers said... surely they made a mistake.

"Reynolds will play Conner MacLeod, a Highlander who discovers he is one of a dwindling group of immortals who wander the earth and kill each other in combat for the final “Prize” – immortality."

Spot the blunder? If they can't even get the premise of the story right, and they've got Reynolds in the lead... this is looking to be the biggest pile of tosh since Highlander 2.

I've seen all the films and only liked the first Highlander. Ryan Reynolds as MacLeod? No, just no. This reminds me of the days when studios were all anxious to hire Will Smith for every movie, whether he fit the requirements or not. Now, I like Will Smith, and I like Ryan Reynolds but if this goes through, I can't wait to skip it.

I'm reluctant to give Ryan Reynolds crap here. I believe he has the ability to pull it off if given the right direction. I mean I was first in line to laugh at the idea of Robin Williams playing a serial killer... sometimes I'm wrong. I can't say I am much of a Reynolds fan but I wont rule out this being a surprisingly entertaining movie..... and i mean surprisingly

The thing about Ryan Reynolds is... he isn't a bad actor. I can't hate him either. I mean he was in Van Wilder. I heard he was amazing in Buried and Safe House. He can be funny. And no homo but he has that face.

It is funny that he wants to be a serious actor now. Maybe he can pull it off. Look at Matthew McConugahey (okay bad example but he was good in A Time to Kill and We are Marshall).