Who wants to see my power metal top 100 albums?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I don't have one. Maybe you're mistaking me with the similarly-named TONGO?
Anyways, I can at least recommend one for you: Angry Metal Guy
Ah, I visit AGM all the time! My bad, I think I was thinking of another of the Corrie bunch, StuSmallz!

Thanks, Terror!

This thread inspired me to check out Blind Guardian and The Bard's Song (The Hobbit) might be the nerdiest thing I've ever heard.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

But anyway, it would be fun to find out which Blind Guardian song is the nerdiest. The Blade Runner-inspired "Time What is Time" is up there.

On a related note, where has the AMG forum gone? I used to check the yearly top album threads a lot to find some new albums to check out.
I just went there and he posted his top albums of April and May a little while ago, believe it or not.

You ready? You look ready.
Woah, woah....Jon Schaffer was involved in the Jan.6 riots?! Man, that puts a real buzzkill on that catalog now.

I've actually been listening to a lot of power metal of late. That definitive American sound.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

This thread inspired me to check out Blind Guardian and The Bard's Song (The Hobbit) might be the nerdiest thing I've ever heard.

Wait until you check out Twilight Force... or Elvenking (far superior to Twilight Force).

Twilight Force is a bunch of guys making marketbrand power metal, and they wrote one of the most... if I may, feminine power metal albums ever: Heroes of Mighty Magic. Let's compare regular symphonic power metal to that album. Most symphonic power metal is like a magic sword forged from dragon scales and can sum!on fire. That album is like a toy glow-sword with glitter on it passing itself off as magic dust. But their third album was pretty kick-ass.

P.S. accidently wrote kick-ass with a typo... L instead of the first K.

Woah, woah....Jon Schaffer was involved in the Jan.6 riots?! Man, that puts a real buzzkill on that catalog now.

I've actually been listening to a lot of power metal of late. That definitive American sound.

One of my FB friends has his own progressive power metal band: Skyliner. Check out "Symphony in Black."

Twilight Force is a bunch of guys making marketbrand power metal, and they wrote one of the most... if I may, feminine power metal albums ever: Heroes of Mighty Magic. Let's compare regular symphonic power metal to that album. Most symphonic power metal is like a magic sword forged from dragon scales and can sum!on fire. That album is like a toy glow-sword with glitter on it passing itself off as magic dust.
Well now I know what I'LL be listening to on my lunch break.

I just went there and he posted his top albums of April and May a little while ago, believe it or not.
I meant the actual discussion forums. There used to be one (though I think it wasn't actually run by AMG). There were long threads where people posted their personal tops each year, and also just notable releases of the year threads. I found those more rewarding than actual AMG reviews.

I meant the actual discussion forums. There used to be one (though I think it wasn't actually run by AMG). There were long threads where people posted their personal tops each year, and also just notable releases of the year threads. I found those more rewarding than actual AMG reviews.
Every link I found to their forums either on their website or via Google searches took me to a site with an HTTP 404 error or one with barely any content like this one, so they must have done away with it. My local progressive/power metal festival, ProgPower USA, also has very limited updates to its forum, so that seems to be the trend with them, sadly.

1. Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1
2. Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 2

Nightwish.
3. Oceanborn.

Sonata Arctica
5. Silence.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did listen to the above. Since I never can hear lyrics I gauge the pieces on the music. Nothing too special here, although most of the cuts would be good to have on while one is doing something else.

I listen to the Tans-siberian Orchestra every Christmas, and most of the songs above put me in mind of that type of music. I guess it's the spooky, moody feel plus the synthesizer generated orchestral parts.

Cheers,
~Doc

Thanks for the suggestions. I did listen to the above. Since I never can hear lyrics I gauge the pieces on the music. Nothing too special here, although most of the cuts would be good to have on while one is doing something else.

I listen to the Tans-siberian Orchestra every Christmas, and most of the songs above put me in mind of that type of music. I guess it's the spooky, moody feel plus the synthesizer generated orchestral parts.

Cheers,
~Doc

Sound to me like you need something more technical? Check out Wuthering Heights, notably the albums The Shadow Cabinet and Far From the Madding Crowd.

Sound to me like you need something more technical? Check out Wuthering Heights, notably the albums The Shadow Cabinet and Far From the Madding Crowd.
Will do, KC. I played with both Zappa and Captain Beefheart, so my tastes run to more complex music. But I do enjoy some of the balls-out metal styles.

I'm not sure how to say this, but I had to confirm the birthday on Wikipedia to your recent birthday thread to check if I wasn't getting pranked. I'll end the fanboying after this, but it's awesome that I'm hanging on a forum a bandmate of two of the greatest experimental rockers on Earth.

If you want some experimental metal recs:

Bath by Maudlin of the Well
Obscura by Gorguts
The Work Which Transforms God by Blut Aus Nord
Torture Garden by Naked City (this one takes bat**** to a whole new level).

I'm not sure how to say this, but I had to confirm the birthday on Wikipedia to your recent birthday thread to check if I wasn't getting pranked. I'll end the fanboying after this, but it's awesome that I'm hanging on a forum a bandmate of two of the greatest experimental rockers on Earth.
Thanks, my man. We were doing some unique things in those days, and much of it holds up to today.

Thanks, my man. We were doing some unique things in those days, and much of it holds up to today.

Actually, I've noticed that some of the more notable modern rock acts in the music community are heavily experimental. They're doing things based on Zappa, King Crimson, Slint, This Heat, etc. Black Midi is the one the rock fans are going crazy over these days. Within the last four years experimental rock has been slowly getting bigger. Just this year alone we had Cavalcade by Black Midi, Bright Green Field by Squid and For the FIrst Time by Black Country New Road. All of these look like they're serious contenders for album of the year.