RIP Ned Beatty

Tools    

Geez, a lot of the old guys are dying off. There were a couple of Decades where it seemed like Beatty was in everything. I expect that Deliverance (1972) really put him on the map. Good actor, familiar face.

Underrated versatile character actor. I loved him in Superman as Otis. He was also superb in Deliverance, and really funny and entertaining in Silver Streak, Back To School, and, one of my personal favorites, The Toy opposite Richard Pryor.

Here's a cool small interview with him from years ago:

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Here he is with Matt Salinger in 1990's Captain America. Sad loss indeed...a true Hollywood legend!

Another legend who I hadn't seen in anything in a long time so I figured his health might be failing. One of the most dependable character actors in the business who made the most of every minute of screentime given without ever stealing another actor's thunder. Some of my favorite Beatty performances included Deliverance, Superman, Silver Streak, Back to School, Mikey and Nicky, and, of course, Network. On television, I loved him as Ed Conner on Roseanne and as Carol Burnett's husband in the TV movie Friendly Fire. RIP.

Ned Beatty is my second favorite actor after Dustin Hoffman. He had skills to play any role in any genre. A rarity that will be sorely missed. This one hit home ..😭

He was the reason to watch “1941”.

RIP

Just re-watched Deliverance. His was a hard part to play. We had to sympathize with his character at the end when he was really trying to push his ordeal out of his mind.

What a great actor! So sad that he's gone. But he will never be truly gone as long as his films and TV shows exist. As said above, he could play pretty much any part and make it his own. Farewell and Godspeed, Ned.

Underrated versatile character actor. I loved him in Superman as Otis. He was also superb in Deliverance, and really funny and entertaining in Silver Streak, Back To School, and, one of my personal favorites, The Toy opposite Richard Pryor.

Here's a cool small interview with him from years ago:
Interesting and enjoyable clip. It shows that he had moral values, high standards, and religion/spirituality-- all of which most actors who have those beliefs today would be afraid to reveal in public. Sad.