Reviews and Ratings Discussion

Tools    

Amen to this. I can't remember the last time I consulted the Tomatometer. Pretty sure I don't even have RT bookmarked anymore.

Looked up a movie recently on Letterboxd and found an average score of 2 stars, then scrolled down to my "ratings by friends" section and found all 5 star ratings. Those few 5-stars tell me more about what I'm in for than the thousands of unknown users who didn't like it.
(Granted the film was Things, so maybe the lesson I should be taking from this is "get new friends", but I think you get my point)
I feel attacked but rightfully so.

What kept that.5 away?
Amber Lynn was reading off cue cards. Really took me out of the movie.

I actually love many LGBT films and think Call Me By Your Name is one of the most erotic and gorgeous films I have ever seen. Also really liked Brokeback Mountain.

But I think there’s an unfairness to rating something higher just because it offers previously underrepresented characters (or actors, or creators) a platform. I honestly think 66% for A Danish Girl is... incredibly generous.

In terms of where I feel films are overrated, sure, listed below. I do appreciate this can easily descend into a discussion of why I don’t find them worthy of such ratings, but I’ll just go out there and say I don’t think any of these films belong in the high or even mid-90s, as they lack nuance and depth and if they didn’t have LGBT characters, they’d hardly exist as there’s just too many films like that.

Booksmart (the LGBT element felt shoehorned in and unnecessary)
Carol (an okay film but no different from anything else made about this period - but lo and behold, feminism, bashing Blanchett’s husband + LGBTQ equals high 90s)
Disobedience
Love, Simon
Moonlight (a good film, but I didn’t feel it deserved the Academy Award as quite a few others, though not La La Land, were better in my view)
Blue is the Warmest Colour (the sheer length! It’s really quite an undercooked thing, but still, 89%)
Fruitvale Station (this one is good but it’s not spectacular, still, 94% and not a single negative review)
The Help (Sex and the City meets Devil Wears Prada, but look at the acolytes! This one is not in the 90s but 70s, but still, it’s such a basic film, really?)
Straight Outta Compton
The Hate You Give
Captain Marvel (I mean, come on!)

That sums up my general feeling on the subject. And look, I used to be a review junkie when I was younger, okay? At one time I almost wouldn’t watch anything below 70 (that didn’t last long).

It’s not that I dislike any other those and quite a few of them are good. But I feel high 90s should be reserved for something exceptional. It’s almost like the high school exam system where once everyone starts getting As, the very idea of an A being something exceptional is becoming diluted.
I mean, I really liked Carol and thought that the performances and look of the film alone earn it a recommendation. And when you're talking about RT specifically, you need to remember that Rotten Tomatoes is not a report card. The percentage is just the number of critics that give a film a passing grade, even if their opinion is kind of tepid. So Carol didn't get "an A", it just had many critics that would give it a recommendation. In other words, RT is a pass/fail system, and the percentage is how many critics agree it should pass.

For Captain Marvel, consider this quote from a reviewer: "
"Captain Marvel" has things going for it that elevate it a bit above the pack and provide more cultural oomph and import, but despite that, this is also a Marvel movie that feels like another Marvel movie." The person overall recommended the film, but it is clear they aren't lavishing praise on it.

I think that the conversation about sites like Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb has to be a different one. Because at that point you are talking about aggregates and averages, which is really different than individual reviews and ratings.

Why is it unfair to rate something higher for telling a story that hasn't been told before? Should critics not be allowed to use innovation and daring as an element of how they score a film? Because then we go back full circle to the idea that there are "objective truths" about film/art, and I personally don't think that is the case.

Amber Lynn was reading off cue cards. Really took me out of the movie.
It makes more sense when you realize the character was kidnapped and being forced to act out a newsroom fantasy.

I mean, I really liked Carol and thought that the performances and look of the film alone earn it a recommendation. And when you're talking about RT specifically, you need to remember that Rotten Tomatoes is not a report card. The percentage is just the number of critics that give a film a passing grade, even if their opinion is kind of tepid. So Carol didn't get "an A", it just had many critics that would give it a recommendation. In other words, RT is a pass/fail system, and the percentage is how many critics agree it should pass.

For Captain Marvel, consider this quote from a reviewer: "
"Captain Marvel" has things going for it that elevate it a bit above the pack and provide more cultural oomph and import, but despite that, this is also a Marvel movie that feels like another Marvel movie." The person overall recommended the film, but it is clear they aren't lavishing praise on it.

I think that the conversation about sites like Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb has to be a different one. Because at that point you are talking about aggregates and averages, which is really different than individual reviews and ratings.

Why is it unfair to rate something higher for telling a story that hasn't been told before? Should critics not be allowed to use innovation and daring as an element of how they score a film? Because then we go back full circle to the idea that there are "objective truths" about film/art, and I personally don't think that is the case.
You’re absolutely right re: RT, I just always find it disturbing how influential it is. In terms of your last point, I don’t know - I would say that it’s appropriate, as I established above in convo with OP, in my view, a critic shouldn’t give bonus points for progressiveness because that penalises traditional narratives.

Have it been pointed out that the tomatometer doesn’t measure perceived goodness but perceived popularity?

A high score doesn’t mean it’s necessarily thought of as a great film, just one a lot of people liked. They could have all thought it was decent but as long as no one disliked it, it scores highly.

Cuz the discourse in here sounds like people are having trouble discerning the difference between those two concepts.

Have it been pointed out that the tomatometer doesn’t measure perceived goodness but perceived popularity?

A high score doesn’t mean it’s necessarily thought of as a great film, just one a lot of people liked. They could have all thought it was decent but as long as no one disliked it, it scores highly.

Cuz the discourse in here sounds like people are having trouble discerning the difference between those two concepts.
Well, define ‘popularity’. It counts the percentage of critics among all the critics it considers ‘respectable’ that thought something was ‘good’, i.e. gave it a positive rating. The percentage of these ‘good’ reviews is the rating, over 70% is ‘fresh’, surely that’s more or less it?

I’m obviously referring to critics’ score, not audience score.

It makes more sense when you realize the character was kidnapped and being forced to act out a newsroom fantasy.

Sorry dude, but I already said I don't respect fan theories.

Anyone else notice how far down the toilet the AV Club has fallen lately?

Anyone else notice how far down the toilet the AV Club has fallen lately?
Ignatiy Vishnevetsky has been the only good critic there for quite some time, and even he seems to be not trying as hard lately.

Well, define ‘popularity’. It counts the percentage of critics among all the critics it considers ‘respectable’ that thought something was ‘good’, i.e. gave it a positive rating. The percentage of these ‘good’ reviews is the rating, over 70% is ‘fresh’, surely that’s more or less it?

I’m obviously referring to critics’ score, not audience score.
Defining popularity by the amount of people liking it, not how much they liked it. Look at the average rating rather than the tomatometer itself for a better metric of how much they LIKED it.

70% means that 70% of critics gave it a score between “passable” to “amazing.” That 70% may actually LOVE the movie far more than anyone LOVES a 90% film, which could be entirely composed of everything thinking it was “not too bad.”

Sorry dude, but I already said I don't respect fan theories.
I’m no fan. *removes MKS mask revealing I was Barry J. Gillis the WHOLE TIME*

Defining popularity by the amount of people liking it, not how much they liked it. Look at the average rating rather than the tomatometer itself for a better metric of how much they LIKED it.

70% means that 70% of critics gave it a score between “passable” to “amazing.” That 70% may actually LOVE the movie far more than anyone LOVES a 90% film, which could be entirely composed of everything thinking it was “not too bad.”
Fair enough. Either way, I’m cautious about dismissing metrics because they are a useful tool for estimating how widespread a viewpoint is. With my professional background, I’ve found that even in soft industries and human sciences, it’s useful to have a general idea of what most people (or most critics) think. And yes, I believe that it is perfectly possible and aggregators help in that respect.

Hence I don’t see how any clarification about RT devalues the argument at all. To me, the fact that a generic majority think these films are okay more often than they think films like Joker are okay still mostly serves to support the argument that this is due to political correctness. It’s just that RT to me is the most obvious metric to judge that sort of thing. I could find some ‘best films of Year X’ lists to see how often ‘woke’ films pop up and might do so.

I’m no fan. *removes MKS mask revealing I was Barry J. Gillis the WHOLE TIME*
Barry, what was it like working with Amber Lynn, star of 52 Pick-Up and The Devil in Miss Jones 3: A New Beginning?

Welcome to the human race...
No, I don't want to sit through a whole movie. B&B don't subject us to the whole video, unless it kicks ass.

I know my post might seem a bit too dismissive of how to properly critique and rate a movie, but I know how movie nerds are because I know how music nerds are. Ask some musician who knows everything there is to know about music, and if you take their advice, you'll be stuck at a jazz concert listening to boring slow modern jazz, or maybe even a Frank Zappa cover band, with about a hundred bored people in attendance. Personally, I'd rather help my wife shop for a handbag.

I think the common guy knows what most people like, and that's what it takes to be a good movie critic.
The thing about B&B is that they're total idiots and we're meant to laugh at them at least as much as with them (if not more so) - as funny as their riffs on music videos can be, I don't think they're meant to be treated as wholly sincere and legitimate criticism of said videos so much as just the usual dumb jokes these two dudes would make. There are definitely YouTube channels that pull a similar schtick with movies but they have a tendency to take themselves too seriously and fail at the whole enterprise.

As for your comment about movie nerds, yeah, well, that's art for you. I can't begrudge a critic trying to expand an audience's horizons and perspectives just because I won't necessarily agree with every single recommendation they make, nor am I inclined to think a "common guy" is going to be a better critic simply for knowing what most people like (which is a low bar to set since, as noted, that's not exactly hard to figure out). I can look up box office grosses and figure out what's popular on my own, and just because Hobbs and Shaw cracked a billion worldwide doesn't mean I'm going to think of it as a better or even more enjoyable film than Hara-kiri.

You’re absolutely right re: RT, I just always find it disturbing how influential it is. In terms of your last point, I don’t know - I would say that it’s appropriate, as I established above in convo with OP, in my view, a critic shouldn’t give bonus points for progressiveness because that penalises traditional narratives.
Aren't you assuming that there aren't plenty of reviewers out there who are rewarding films for telling traditional stories? It is disingenuous to assume that people with more "progressive" tendencies are the only ones letting their personal viewpoints influence their ratings of films. While poking around for this thread I read a review of Carol that panned the movie because it was "promoting the homosexual agenda".

Praise for art is not some finite commodity, and I think that it's okay to make a judgement as a reviewer about the elements that elevate a film and those that hold it back, and then make an overall judgement about whether or not to recommend it. And the elements that add value for one reviewer (types of characters, specific actors, a certain style, realism/surrealism, etc) might not add value or may even detract from the value for another reviewer. As long as reviewers are upfront about why they are giving a rating, they can rate based on whatever they want. And then we, the reader, can decide whether or not to take their opinions at all seriously.

Hence I don’t see how any clarification about RT devalues the argument at all. To me, the fact that a generic majority think these films are okay more often than they think films like Joker are okay still mostly serves to support the argument that this is due to political correctness.
Divisive films will always have more of a mixed bag when it comes to critic reviews. Because they evoke strong emotions in people. A violent, R-rated film that (at a surface reading) seems to justify violence from a loner white man at a time in society when many people are experiencing that in real life is of course going to rub some people the wrong way.

I mean, look at this quote: Although it has some of the hallmarks of a mainstream movie, there's little that's entertaining about Joker. Phoenix's version of the character is uncomfortable, and his off-putting nature will likely not inspire many repeat viewings. This person is mad because it's not a popcorn film. Remember when you talked about punishing traditional narratives? This critic is upset that it's not more "mainstream" and is marking it down for it.

The whole Paddington 2 thing is a great example. It is such a sweet little movie. Who wouldn't like it? But if RT critics made a list of the 100 best films of all time, I bet almost none of them would have Paddingon 2 on their list.

I guess the question is what is probably a better film: a movie that 50 people LOVE and 50 people HATE, or a film that 80 people think is "fine, sure" and 20 people dislike? The former film is probably more interesting, right?