Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Excruciatingly slow, but I did finish. Interesting storyline.

Black Bear (2020, Lawrence Michael Levine)

A very good example of non-linear, meta filmmaking, beautifully written and directed by Levine. Aubrey Plaza is absolutely the star of the show here, delivering a powerhouse of a performance, covering a whole gamut of emotional states from sexy and magnetic to drunkenly distraught and downright harrowing. The intriguing two-part plot structure allows for multiple interpretations (Mulholland Drive popped up in my head several times while watching this) - I won't go into it here, watch and make your own conclusions.

Boldly going.
Treasure Island (1990)
7.5/10.
First viewing. A thrilling epic and much bloodier than I thought it was going to be, considering it's a children's classic and was a Disney movie in 1950. Charlton Heston leads an impressive cast, including Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, Julian Glover, Pete Postlethwaite and a 16-year old Christian Bale. Likely this was the inspiration for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and Long John Silver an inspiration for Jack Sparrow (Silver even sails away alone on a similar boat to the one we first see Jack Sparrow coming to shore alone on).

Jungle - (2017)
I've lost my appetite for 'lost in the jungle' movies now. Too much time was wasted with Karl and Yossi's two friends (just over half the film) and when we get to Yossi's struggle for survival it's derivative and underwhelming. Also, no tarantulas. The film is technically competent and has some excellently gross makeup and effects, but you'd be much better off watching the episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive that deals with Yossi and his Jungle antics. 4/10
If you haven't seen it, you might like Herzog's Wings of Hope (1999). The documentary presents an absolutely astonishing story about a woman who is sucked out of an airplane and falls 10,000 feet to the jungle below-- and survives!! It shows how she was able to eventually trek to civilization to be rescued.

Black Bear (2020, Lawrence Michael Levine)

A very good example of non-linear, meta filmmaking, beautifully written and directed by Levine. Aubrey Plaza is absolutely the star of the show here, delivering a powerhouse of a performance, covering a whole gamut of emotional states from sexy and magnetic to drunkenly distraught and downright harrowing. The intriguing two-part plot structure allows for multiple interpretations (Mulholland Drive popped up in my head several times while watching this) - I won't go into it here, watch and make your own conclusions.

Aubrey Plaza is My favorite actress she is just too weird i dig it, i will give this one a try i havnt seen her in a really good role on film yet.

1917 (2019) -

Quite a spectacle! Obviously, the plot is just an excuse to show some good camerawork and very long takes (edited to look like it's one long take). In the end, I wasn't amazed, and the more the film tried to amaze me, the more I was disillusioned. Think the long run at the end. Maybe if I watched it at the cinema and my ears were raped by the 30 times too loud sound, I'd be more into it. I was still into it, just don't think it's great.
Same here. Watched it with a group of people who really got into it. Meanwhile I was wondering how long it took them to dig all those trenches and exactly how many extras were used. Appreciated the technical prowess but that was about it.

Victim of The Night
whats optimistic? to me i loved the movie . emma stone did an amazing job as cruella,
Well, I haven't seen it but I think Cruella is a character I would like to see more of, I think Emma Stone is a real actor with something to give this role, and now you've rated it highly, so my optimism grows.

The movie starts to unravel the moment you say "wait, if these creatures hunt by sound, then why does ______ happen" and then it can happen repeatedly until the end of the movie when your head cracks open from a piercing shrieking sound.
You mean like, "if the monsters hunt by sound, why aren't they constantly just attacking the waterfall all the time" (which is something I have seen people wonder about online)? I think the answer to that (and a lot of other nit-picks about the movie) is pretty self-evident; the monsters must've tried attacking the waterfall when they first encountered it, then realized that the sound didn't represent a sentinent creature, and then were intelligent to learn to ignore that particular sound from them on (and thank God that they did, because that would be a much lamer movie if they were that dumb, haha).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Last Hard Men (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1976)
6/10
Suffer Little Children (Alan Briggs, 1983)
4/10
The One Man Jury (Charles Martin, 1978)
5/10
Son of the White Mare (Marcell Jankovics, 1981)
- 7/10 R.I.P. the Director

Psychedelic Hungarian fairy tale with all kinds of spectacular visuals and weird storytelling.
Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen (Clive Donner, 1981)
5/10
The People Against O'Hara (John Sturges, 1951)
5.5/10
Pardon My Rhythm (Felix Feist, 1944)
6/10
High Hopes (Mike Leigh, 1988)
6.5/10

Matriarch Edna Doré is surrounded by her family (Ruth Sheen, Philip Jackson, Lesley Manville & Phil Davis) in a quirky social comedy.
Life Is Sweet (Mike Leigh, 1990)
6.5/10
I Am All Girls (Donovan Marsh, 2021)
5.5/10
My Brother's Keeper (Kevan Otto, 2020)
4/10
Blue Miracle (Julio Quintana, 2021)
+ 6/10

Fisherman Dennis Quaid, a man of questionable honesty and life skills, learns a few things from a good-hearted-but-struggling ophanage owner (Jimmy Gonzales) and his kids during a fishing tournament.
Dance of the 41 (David Pablos, 2020)
6/10
An Angel from Texas (Ray Enright, 1940)
+ 5/10
New Jerusalem (Rick Alverson, 2011)
6/10
The Trap (Sidney Hayers, 1966)
+ 6.5/10

Fur trapper Oliver Reed buys mute Rita Tushingham to be his wife and live in his wilderness cabin. Surprising and exciting adventure of survival.
The Man in the Hat (John-Paul Davidson & Stephen Warbeck, 2020)
+ 6/10
Cat in the Cage (Tony Zarin Dast, 1978)
4/10
The Scary House AKA The Strange House (Daniel Prochaska, 2020)
5.5/10
Wings of Hope (Werner Herzog, 1999)
- 7/10
Almost 30 years after the fact, Herzog poetically relates the story of Juliane Koepcke who fell 10,000 feet into the Peruvian jungle after her airplane "distintegrated" from a lightning strike.

Aubrey Plaza is My favorite female actress she is just too weird i dig it, i will give this one a try i havnt seen her in a really good role on film yet.
Your favorite actress? Absolutely give it a watch then - very good film, and she's great in it.

Plan B (2021)

The trailer intrigued me enough to warrant a watch, though it fell into the same path I thought it would. If you have seen Booksmart and thought it was fine, ignore this one. If you haven't seen it or thought it was splendid and want more of the same, try this one out. It's not as good, but there are some funny moments.

This kind of movie has been done many times before, but the similarities to Booksmart are too many to count.

You mean like, "if the monsters hunt by sound, why aren't they constantly just attacking the waterfall all the time" (which is something I have seen people wonder about online)? I think the answer to that (and a lot of other nit-picks about the movie) is pretty self-evident; the monsters must've tried attacking the waterfall when they first encountered it, then realized that the sound didn't represent a sentinent creature, and then were intelligent to learn to ignore that particular sound from them on (and thank God that they did, because that would be a much lamer movie if they were that dumb, haha).
More like “if these monsters hunt by sound, why are they so conveniently terrible at hearing?” or “why do they have to expose their weakness every time they need to hear? Can they not hear at all when their armored up?”Compare their abilities to ANY creature that has this ability and the issues become numerous. Then there’s the human element...

If these creatures hunt by sound...

... why not live near the waterfall, which they conveniently ignore?

... why bring a baby into this world when you will clearly have a finite oxygen tank level and they WILL cry?

... why did people never try to hurt the creatures with sounds before?

... Does no one in the house snore, fart, burp, sneeze, back crack, defecate or any of the multitude of involuntary noises our body makes which are louder than the noises that seemingly draw the creatures?

Etc forever. Because the premise doesn’t make logical sense at all. The film works because it makes dramatic and emotional sense and because it is extremely well made. Like Hereditary.

... why bring a baby into this world when you will clearly have a finite oxygen tank level and they WILL cry?
I see this criticism come up a lot, but I don't agree with it. Bringing a baby into the world isn't wise, but there's an emotional reason for doing this,
WARNING: spoilers below
out of respect for the kid they lost at the beginning
. That was how I read the sub-plot. It could be read as a tragic mistake the family made, but I don't think it's a problem with the film. I was also under the impression they planned to deliver the baby in a noisy area (the waterfall, I assume), except it happened a few weeks (I forget the exact time limit as it's been a while since I've seen it) before they expected the baby.

Granted, I do think this sub-plot would've been better had the family brought up the absurdity of bringing a baby into the world, but also give a reason as to why they felt it was worth the risk, but I think it's a pretty compelling sub-plot as it stands, even if it may be a bit underdeveloped.

I do agree with your other points though. Just wanted to bring this up.

I see this criticism come up a lot, but I don't agree with it. Bringing a baby into the world isn't wise, but there's an emotional reason for doing this,
WARNING: spoilers below
out of respect for the kid they lost at the beginning
. That was how I read the sub-plot. It could be read as a tragic mistake the family made, but I don't think it's a problem with the film. I was also under the impression they planned to deliver the baby in a noisy area (the waterfall, I assume), except it happened a few weeks (I forget the exact time limit as it's been a while since I've seen it) before they expected the baby.

Granted, I do think this sub-plot would've been better had the family brought up the absurdity of bringing a baby into the world, but also give a reason as to why they felt it was worth the risk, but I think it's a pretty compelling sub-plot as it stands, even if it may be a bit underdeveloped.

I do agree with your other points though. Just wanted to bring this up.
Like I said, it makes emotional and dramatic sense but it’s still a dreadfully stupid thing to do and the gravity of it gets handwaved away because it doesn’t want to be a movie that brings abortion into the text and all the baggage that brings.

But it’s essentially the characters saying that they will bring a dinner bell into the home in which their two surviving children, one of which is deaf and could not hear the baby beginning to cry in an emergency situation. It’s fairly asinine, logically speaking, even ignoring the complications child birth without doctors/hospitals.

But as I said, it works dramatically (pregnant woman in danger, making noise during pregnancy) and emotional sense (lost child replacement, hope for a new world) so I still really like it.

But I will die on the hill that this movie survives by “don’t think about it too much.”

Like I said, it makes emotional and dramatic sense but it’s still a dreadfully stupid thing to do and the gravity of it gets handwaved away because it doesn’t want to be a movie that brings abortion into the text and all the baggage that brings.

But it’s essentially the characters saying that they will bring a dinner bell into the home in which their two surviving children, one of which is deaf and could not hear the baby beginning to cry in an emergency situation. It’s fairly asinine, logically speaking, even ignoring the complications child birth without doctors/hospitals.

But as I said, it works dramatically (pregnant woman in danger, making noise during pregnancy) and emotional sense (lost child replacement, hope for a new world) so I still really like it.

But I will die on the hill that this movie survives by “don’t think about it too much.”
I can agree with all that.

And yeah, I think the film works in spite of these issues. It's sort of like TDKR to me in the sense that both films work dramatically and emotionally, but once you start questioning the logic behind both films, they begin to fall apart more and more. As much of a fight that both films sometimes have to show to get past those issues though, I still think they're good.