25th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I picked it because it's the only one I've seen and only 3 other members have seen it. Which others would you recommend? The 1934 version is long but looks very intriguing.
I mean Les Mis has been adapted so many times that if you were going to pick a literary adaptation from that era just rattling off choices...

Anthony Adverse (1936)
The Good Earth (1937)
Tale of Two Cities (1935)
Jezebel (1938)
Pygmalion (1938)
Wuthering Heights (1939)
The Letter (1940)
That Hamilton Woman (1941)
Kings Row (1942)
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
Mrs Miniver (1939)
Jungle Book (1942)
Jane Erye (1943)
Great Expectations (1946)

I feel like Les Mis has been done to death and you know the story by heart and now we get to watch the 289 minute version of it.

I mean Les Mis has been adapted so many times that if you were going to pick a literary adaptation from that era just rattling off choices...

Anthony Adverse (1936)
The Good Earth (1937)
Tale of Two Cities (1935)
Jezebel (1938)
Pygmalion (1938)
Wuthering Heights (1939)
The Letter (1940)
That Hamilton Woman (1941)
Kings Row (1942)
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
Mrs Miniver (1939)
Jungle Book (1942)
Jane Erye (1943)
Great Expectations (1946)

I feel like Les Mis has been done to death and you know the story by heart and now we get to watch the 289 minute version of it.
Wait, what do those movies have to do with Les Miserables?

Also, it's the 1935 version that's nominated, not the 1934. Just 109 minutes.

Wait, what do those movies have to do with Les Miserables?

Also, it's the 1935 version that's nominated, not the 1934. Just 109 minutes.

Those are literary adaptations from that era...stories that you don't already know by heart.

Those are literary adaptations from that era...stories that you don't already know by heart.
Oh I got you. I like some of those movies. I thought you were talking about adaptions of Les Miserables. I've only seen 1 version 1 time and I already forget much of it. Don't forget it's the 1935 version that's nominated.

You go with The Good Earth (1937) next HoF and see what happens. I think you can guess what the reactions would be.

You go with The Good Earth (1937) next HoF and see what happens. I think you can guess what the reactions would be.

I think the reaction would be...this is really good but also really racist.

I don't mind making picks that are racially challenging I gave you the option to select White Material(2009) as a nom

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
15 min into Themroc, and it's pretty clear where it will be placed in most people's list... xD I might need a few dozen sittings to get through this!

Bicycle Thieves: very good movie with an excellent story and a great ending, even if I would have tweaked the ending just a bit.

What keeps it freezing m being a favorite is I don’t think the characters are very dynamic and it’s not all that interesting visually.

Very good film and I certainly see why people love it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
15 min into Themroc, and it's pretty clear where it will be placed in most people's list... xD I might need a few dozen sittings to get through this!
Seems like this has been happening pretty regularly in these Halls lately lol. I'll he saving it for almost last.

I think the reaction would be...this is really good but also really racist.
I think the small text there is the most important thing though. Personally, it completely negates what came before it.

To me, a racist film cannot ever be a good film. It can be visually framed well, or have impressive effects or cinematography, but I'll never consider the film to be anything other than terrible.

I think the small text there is the most important thing though. Personally, it completely negates what came before it.

To me, a racist film cannot ever be a good film. It can be visually framed well, or have impressive effects or cinematography, but I'll never consider the film to be anything other than terrible.
Oh, that makes my job of reviewing BlacKKKlansman all the harder

I don't get why though? While I think that racist films are bad on principal, it's not like I think that anti-racist films always make for good cinema, or that I would be upset if someone didn't like my nomination.

Disliking a film that is anti-white supremacy and pro-BLM doesn't in turn make someone seem racist to me either. So don't worry if you hate BlacKkKlansman, I know it's not going to be for everyone.

I don't get why though? While I think that racist films are bad on principal, it's not like I think that anti-racist films always make for good cinema, or that I would be upset if someone didn't like my nomination.

Disliking a film that is anti-white supremacy and pro-BLM doesn't in turn make someone seem racist to me either. So don't worry if you hate BlacKkKlansman, I know it's not going to be for everyone.
Cosmic, I was going to answer you as I did see BlacKKKlansman last night, but my reply almost was review length. So I thought I would save my post and use it as part of my review. Saves me from some typing

Have you already seen BlacKKKlansmen?

BTW, not sure I agree 100% with the idea that a movie with an amoral POV is automatically negated from being good. I think it has tougher road to hoe for me but I definitely like movies by directors whose morals don’t lineup with mine. Lots of factors in my enjoyment of a film and l don’t equate enjoyment with endorsement.

Does it have English subtitles? Or does it need them if it's all grunts and gibberish?
There's a few lines early on that might be actual French(?) but it doesn't seem terribly integral. I didn't dig around for a subtitled version so it might be out there somewhere.