What Entertainment Has Done

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
Hello, everyone! I was thinking of doing a new YouTube series about my theories and observations of how the media has affected today's culture. What should I start with? Any ideas?

Hello, everyone! I was thinking of doing a new YouTube series about my theories and observations of how the media has affected today's culture. What should I start with? Any ideas?
In short, there are no repercussions for what comes out of peoples mouths (keyboards) anymore. I think a type of human being that hasn't had a voice since the beginning of time, all of a sudden has the loudest voice, because of the anonymity that social media platforms provide. Take away this anonymity and these people will become silent once more.

A bucket of anxiety
In short, there are no repercussions for what comes out of peoples mouths (keyboards) anymore. I think a type of human being that hasn't had a voice since the beginning of time, all of a sudden has the loudest voice, because of the anonymity that social media platforms provide. Take away this anonymity and these people will become silent once more.
That's interesting but I was referring more to film and television.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Biased news media. People tend to believe everything they hear.

Yes, and we can only dream of it... Imagine life without the trolls.

Short attention spans. On the college level many professors are told to keep everything to five minute sound bites, or people tune you out. That has implications for film. It seems disastrous to me that people are willing to accept this as some kind of new norm. What are the implications for movies?

I like it and it's a type of idea that should catch people's attention on youtube and get them to watch your video series.

I don't have any specific ideas about where you should start, but if you sort of practice your ideas here, you can get feedback and have more material on which to base your videos on. I'd be happy to give what help/input that I can.

So what are your theories and observations of how the media has affected today's culture?

A bucket of anxiety
Yes, and we can only dream of it... Imagine life without the trolls.
I mean, I'm pretty loud on the internet compared to me in real life but I use my voice to speak of my opinion because boy can I just not do that in real life for some reason. I'm not even mean (or at least I try not to be), I just feel like everything I say pisses people off.

A bucket of anxiety

So what are your theories and observations of how the media has affected today's culture?
Well, I can tie PC culture back to children's media, feminism to early animated Disney films and televised history lessons to poor expectations in the subject of race.

A bucket of anxiety
What I'm looking for is a cultural impact like the Jeans revolution caused by greaser films and 70s fashion inspired by Saturday Night Fever or little stuff like how Heath Ledger's Joker impacted people's judgement of villains in film.

I mean, I'm pretty loud on the internet compared to me in real life but I use my voice to speak of my opinion because boy can I just not do that in real life for some reason. I'm not even mean (or at least I try not to be), I just feel like everything I say pisses people off.
Oh, no. Not at all. I think that you're a very clever and imaginative girl. This is a very exciting time in your life.

~Doc

I agree with Doc, I've not thought of you as pissing anyone off, I like you! I think you're a breath of fresh air as you are actually talking about issues and how they relate to movies and we need that type of conversation here at MoFo. So yeah, good for you!

Well, I can tie PC culture back to children's media, feminism to early animated Disney films and televised history lessons to poor expectations in the subject of race.
Some of my thoughts, hopefully you find some of this helpful or at least interesting:

PC culture
(I define PC as a broad idea that almost anything said can be offensive to someone or some group and so society then needs to walk on egg shells)
...But, other people will define PC as actual political ideas being inserted into mainstream society...so different people have a different view on just what PC means. Maybe that's a good topic for a youtube video?

I would tie PC culture to 'white guilt' that's sometimes found in the millennial generation. I think the millennial's had a broader schooling in race relations especially the history of racial injustices in America...and so ended up feeling guilty over those past injustices and thus the PC culture was born as a way of apologizing, or at least attempting to make right the sins of the past.

That PC thought process then filters into TV and movies. There was a flash point where films became overtly PC and that started in 2016 with the #OscarsSoWhite movement which initially was tweeted by Activist April Reign and made even more headlines with Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Lee announced plans to boycott the Oscars in protest of what they claimed was a lack of diversity....

It took a couple of years after 2016 for movies to change as the movie making process from concept to finish takes a long time. Within a couple of years after the #OscarsSoWhite movement there's a noticeable difference in what sometimes feels like forced casting diversity and the over all social correct messages being inserted into mainstream American movies.

Feminism
Strong female lead characters in movies that are made from a woman's viewpoint, were very prevalent in the early 1930s. That period of film making is called Pre-Code films. Throughout the 1930s there were many films being made around strong actresses, like Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, etc. And I suppose there's always been some movies with strong female leads.

If anything, what killed movies made about women was the video game age. Once movies started being made like the games kids had played on their computers and PlayStations, we moved into Hollywood making tons of escapist comic book movies, fantasy flicks and sequels after sequels. The whole merger of Disney with other large corporations have given birth to super movie business conglomerations. When these fantasy/comic book movies first got popular that's when serious roles for women took a nose dive. It's funny that nearly 90 years ago in film women had better roles then they do today.

A bucket of anxiety
Some of my thoughts, hopefully you find some of this helpful or at least interesting:

PC culture
(I define PC as a broad idea that almost anything said can be offensive to someone or some group and so society then needs to walk on egg shells)
...But, other people will define PC as actual political ideas being inserted into mainstream society...so different people have a different view on just what PC means. Maybe that's a good topic for a youtube video?

I would tie PC culture to 'white guilt' that's sometimes found in the millennial generation. I think the millennial's had a broader schooling in race relations especially the history of racial injustices in America...and so ended up feeling guilty over those past injustices and thus the PC culture was born as a way of apologizing, or at least attempting to make right the sins of the past.

That PC thought process then filters into TV and movies. There was a flash point where films became overtly PC and that started in 2016 with the #OscarsSoWhite movement which initially was tweeted by Activist April Reign and made even more headlines with Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Lee announced plans to boycott the Oscars in protest of what they claimed was a lack of diversity....

It took a couple of years after 2016 for movies to change as the movie making process from concept to finish takes a long time. Within a couple of years after the #OscarsSoWhite movement there's a noticeable difference in what sometimes feels like forced casting diversity and the over all social correct messages being inserted into mainstream American movies.

Feminism
Strong female lead characters in movies that are made from a woman's viewpoint, were very prevalent in the early 1930s. That period of film making is called Pre-Code films. Throughout the 1930s there were many films being made around strong actresses, like Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, etc. And I suppose there's always been some movies with strong female leads.

If anything, what killed movies made about women was the video game age. Once movies started being made like the games kids had played on their computers and PlayStations, we moved into Hollywood making tons of escapist comic book movies, fantasy flicks and sequels after sequels. The whole merger of Disney with other large corporations have given birth to super movie business conglomerations. When these fantasy/comic book movies first got popular that's when serious roles for women took a nose dive. It's funny that nearly 90 years ago in film women had better roles then they do today.
You bring up very interesting points and I think they would be useful in future videos. Definitely have to do some more research on what you've told me. I could probably find more intriguing events that might've lead to the way we treat politics today. I appreciate your cooperation Citizen Rules