1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

That was 'Lov' Ward Bond who had the bag of turnips, he and the father Jeeter were the best characters. I'm not opposed to the idea of lampooning the 'hillbillies', I loved the Ma and Pa Kettle movies, but the guy who played the son, Dude was so over the top, he gave me a headache.

I read about the original play and it was cutting edge and not a comedy at all. I don't know why John Ford thought this would be good material for a comedy?

The Play:
In desolate farm country in Georgia, the profitable tobacco crop has given way to cotton plantations, but poor planting practices have depleted the soil. The Lester family were once sharecroppers, but are now poverty-stricken and unable to cope with the bleak life they face. Jeeter Lester, the patriarch, lives in squalor with his wife Ada, their two children, 16-year-old Dude and 18-year-old Ellie May, and his mother. Ada is suffering from pellagra and Ellie May has a harelip, Jeeter and Dude are thin and emaciated, and the family wears tattered clothing.
Sister Bessie Rice, a stout preacher of about forty, decides to marry Dude, who agrees when she promises to buy him a car. When Capt. Tim Harmon tells the family that the house and property are owned by the bank, Jeeter is given a chance to earn money so that they may keep living there, but he refuses.
The youngest daughter Pearl tries to escape from her much older husband Lov Bensey, but Ada is run over by Dude's car as she attempts to help Pearl. As Ada lies dying, Pearl escapes and runs away; Jeeter sends Ellie May to Lov instead.
This is from a review of the play at the time:

Brooks Atkinson wrote: "The theatre has never sheltered a fouler or more degenerate parcel of folks than the hardscrabble family of Lester...It is the blunt truth of the characters he is describing, and it leaves a malevolent glow of poetry... As Jeeter Lester, Henry Hull gives the performance of his career. Plays as clumsy and rudderless as 'Tobacco Road' seldom include so many scattered items that leave such a vivid impression."
The play was banned in major cities such as Chicago and Detroit for being sensational and immoral.
I read that Fox studio head Darly F Zanuck and John Ford both expected the film to be as important as Ford's other film The Grapes of Wrath....I'd say Tobacco Road was the greatest idea for a film that was squandered. I wish it hadn't been a madcap comedy, but taken a more serious tone.

I am totally glad I watched it though, as it's very different. I wish it had been nominated, I bet it would have been the most topical nom in the Hof.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Dude DID get pretty annoying; I'll DEFINITELY agree with that and regarding it being up there with Grapes, there are some occasional shots, like the walk near the end that held that definitive Ford touch. But, for the most part, it seemed like a madcap gone mad.
And like you, I did enjoy it. Loved Jeeter. What a schemer.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I had planned to have a write-up for Mr. Lucky done days ago, but I haven't even gotten around to watching it yet. Late last week I got a request from my grandmother to paint a picture to match the living room of her new apartment, so most of my free time has been spend working on that. I only have a few details left to do and a couple days off work now, so hopefully I'll get to it soon. I'm really in the mood to watch something with Cary Grant in it.

Are you going to post a picture of your painting so we can see it?

Mr. Lucky
(1943)

One aspect of the film I thought didn't work the way it was intended to was the relationship between Joe and Dorothy. While Laraine Day did a great job showing her character's emotional transition, Grant didn't really manage to do the same. Because of that, Joe's change of heart seemed abrupt and rather forced to me. As expected though, Grant's performance was otherwise very good; it was just the chemistry that I found lacking. The supporting cast were wonderful as well, particularly the ladies from the War Relief Organization. I would've liked to see more of them.

I thought that Joe's change of heart being abrupt made sense because it was caused by the letter that the priest read to him, rather than the romance between him and Dorothy. You can see it in his face while he's listening to the priest reading the letter.

I seen Miss Tierney last night in another 1940s film, Tobacco Road, directed by John Ford...Gawd! what an annoying movie, one would have to see it to know what I mean. And Gene Tierney who had top billing along with Dana Andrews, only had a few minutes on screen and just a couple of lines.

Anybody else ever see that one?

I saw Tobacco Road a while back, but I didn't like it. It was like watching a bad version of "The Beverly Hillbillies" if they lost all their money. Most of the characters were so annoying that they were almost unwatchable, and the two best actors in the movie were wasted in small roles.

I saw Tobacco Road a while back, but I didn't like it. It was like watching a bad version of "The Beverly Hillbillies" if they lost all their money. Most of the characters were so annoying that they were almost unwatchable, and the two best actors in the movie were wasted in small roles.
Ha, Dude the boy who got married to the older woman was like Jerry Lewis on crack!

I can, but I didn't think anybody would be interested haha.

I thought that Joe's change of heart being abrupt made sense because it was caused by the letter that the priest read to him, rather than the romance between him and Dorothy. You can see it in his face while he's listening to the priest reading the letter.
I meant his change of heart towards Dorothy, not towards the gambling revenue or his part in the war, which the letter certainly had a huge impact on.

I can, but I didn't think anybody would be interested haha.

I'm always interested in seeing other people's artwork. I have no artistic talent, so I'm kind of jealous of those of you who do.

Thank you guys for encouraging me to post it.

I plan to post a review sometime this weekend as well. I have two films left, Gentleman Jim and I Remember Mama. Gentlemen Jim is half an hour shorter, so I'll probably go with that first.

...I plan to post a review sometime this weekend as well. I have two films left, Gentleman Jim and I Remember Mama. Gentlemen Jim is half an hour shorter, so I'll probably go with that first.
Saving the best for last good idea

Thank you guys for encouraging me to post it.

I plan to post a review sometime this weekend as well. I have two films left, Gentleman Jim and I Remember Mama. Gentlemen Jim is half an hour shorter, so I'll probably go with that first.

@CosmicRunaway Thanks for posting your painting. You're a very talented artist.

@Citizen Rules Is Gentlemen Jim still in this HoF? I don't think Blix has posted anything in here since we started.

Also, Is Camo's movie (Odd Man Out) definitely out? He posted in a different thread earlier tonight.

...Citizen Rules Is Gentlemen Jim still in this HoF? I don't think Blix has posted anything in here since we started.
Blix hasn't posted a single review, I'm guessing he won't finish. But we're only 6 weeks into the Hof and still have 6 weeks to go until the deadline....I've been wanting to ask Blix what's up...but he hasn't logged into MoFo for 4 weeks.

So I will PM him, and give him until August 1st to post some reviews, if not then his movie will be out. Right now consider his movie in limbo.

Also, Is Camo's movie (Odd Man Out) definitely out? He posted in a different thread earlier tonight.
That's up to Camo, if he wishes to participant and finishes the rest of the movies and sends in a list, then yes that's fine and his movie would be in.

But I'm not sure what his intentions for the future at MoFo is? So for now his movie is out, but certainly can be back in if he wants to finish this Hof.