8.57%
3 votes
England
8.57%
3 votes
Any other team (please specify)
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
I love the Way Baines is taking sh**. The problem down that side was Rooney. He wernt getting back to help, which left Baines with 2 players to defend all night.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Hm,all of you are talking about this from England's side of view so I'll go to other side.
Italy really surprised me with offensive part of their game,Pirlo was great as always,ball was moving very good,they had chance to go 1-2 in the end of first half,they didn't use it then but they did later on.But one part of Italy surprised me in a bad way,defending,it was horrible! I know you all talk about that ball from Rooney,it was a great ball,but defenders failed there,you can't let player stay alone infront of your goal.They really need to improve defending part of the game because attack was fantastic.I think they will fix it fast but we will see.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
England need to drop Rooney. He's was terrible last night, I'd play....

..........................Hart

Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines/Shaw

............. ....... Gerrard............

............ ...... Wilshere.........
..Sterling. ............... ....... Barkley
............. ...... Sturridge

Their (possible) saving graces from this group are that Uruguay looked awful and can Costa Rica play as well again?
Exactly what I'm thinking/hoping.

It'll be interesting to see if Roy goes balls-out next game as well - I mush have been watching a different Sterling to everyone with an English passport. After his fantastic pass which led to the goal he lit a cigar for 20 minutes then spent the rest of the game losing the ball and shanking crosses. I was sure Hodgson would bring him off - The kid was busting a gut but was flagging - but Sturridge's injury probably solved that conundrum.
I can see what you're saying about Sterling running and losing the ball, but we all know the alternative is passing the ball backwards and trying to keep not. It's what we do because, eventually, you know it's going to go Hollywood. By the end he was obviously shattered and his crossing was poor but, unlike someone like Lennon, who you're sure will shank it or run into a corner, with Sterling there's actually the possibility that he could do something. After years of 50 yard diagonal crosses that get cut out or run out of play or crosses put in for midgets and, of course, the punt up to the lone front man who has to knock the ball onto no one or hold it up for 10 seconds while the rest of the team get up to him, it's nice to have the possibility of a piece of skill and some running. The same's true of Sturridge. We'll see if we can make this work in the next two games. Get behind the defence and I'm confident we'll have some success.

If they're going to play such an attacking game from the wings England need full backs who can defend. We all know Johnson never could (and it's frightening that he would still be my first choice for the next game, but they've got no one else) and the weakest part of Baines' game was exposed time and again. Poor Cashley.
Our defence is the obvious weakness of this England team. Look at that back four. Baines is the only one who could be there with good players available. We've all dispaired at Johnson for years now, but I really don't know that we have better and, if we do, it'll be a very young and relatively inexperienced player, such as Flannagan, Jenkinson or Chambers.

England didn't run out of heart, which is a massive improvement, but they didn't have anyone on the pitch to put their foot on the ball and settle everyone down.
But England hardly ever have this and, when they do, they don't have another one to pass it to. This is why England should just play Premier League football at International level. Yes, they'll tire and we won't win anything, but we're not going to anyway and, at least this way, it'll be entertaining.

Did anyone see the Ivory Coast/Japan game? That was a good game. I think it's the best game that ITV have had and, unfortunately for them, it was on in the middle of the night. I, however, loved having live world cup football in the middle of the night. Felt really good.

It's amazing what an icon can do for a team, too. From the moment Drogba came on the pitch, IC looked a completely different team. Suddenly they looked like they thought they'd win. Not that he'd win it for them, but they could win. That was the important bit. They weren't looking for him to win it for them, they were looking at him to inspire them to win it.

Did you have a stroke while typing?

I can see that. Personally I think I'd start

Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines

............ ...... Barkley.........
..Sterling. ............... ....... Lallana

But I really like Lallana and don't trust Wilshere. I'm not convinced he's as good as many seem to think he is, but more than that, he's made of glass. I definitely don't want him facing Uruguay, as they'll have him out of the game within 20 minutes.

While Sterling/Sturridge and Lallana/Barkley could swap just to change it up from time to time, if needed to offer something different. Do we know about Sturridge? If he's injured then Rooney should start anyway, which might be a good thing. Is Oxlade-Chamberlin likely to return for the Uruguay game?

I agree that Roy needs to make the big decision about Rooney. Play him where he's effective or don't play him. I think this World Cup hoodoo is really starting to affect him, but if you don't start him, he rarely performs at all, so I don't know if he'll work as an impact sub or not. But this problem is a problem that England managers have dodged for years. We lost Scholes because he wouldn't play on the left with Gerrard/Lampard in the centre (not that I blamed him. That's when I lost confidence in Sven) It took Capello to drop Owen, who you either played alone and played over the top or didn't play. I think the only partnership he ever had in his career was with Heskey and that meant, effectively, not having a second goalscoring forward because he was there to feed Owen. Beckham, Rooney, Keegan. We always look to a Saviour, rather than a team.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I can remember a very astute criticism of Beckham (can't remember who said it though ) and saw exactly the same with Gerrard last night. Well, throughout Gerrard's career but it's more apparent now that he's less mobile.

Beckham would ping a 40yd pass cross field and land it on a sixpence. The problem was that he lofted it, golfist style, with a bit of backspin and the receiving player had to take the ball at a standstill - all momentum was lost.

Play the ball in front of the man, as Sterling did for the goal last night, and you stand a chance of stretching the defence.

Quite, we forget it's a team game. Perhaps now more than ever? This is what I meant about Sterling's running. We can't do the short passing game, for some reason, so when you have someone of his speed and ability, I think it makes sense to be that direct.

We need to get around the back of the defences and, with the speed and movement of many of our attacking players, we should be able to do that.

Sadly I've not seen much of this France/Honduras game. Has it been any good?

Cracking game. The Honduras gameplan seemed to be to mame Pogba and Benzema but once they had their man sent off the gulf in class was obvious.

Best moment was Henry owning that oaf Savage at half time.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave

Forza Italia!!!

Got to say I was really quite impressed with Italy. They're usually amongst the dullest teams to watch but their more offensive approach was refreshing. While some of the numerous English people on here may disagree I certainly feel the better team won. I thought they had a lot more class and quality about them and played some really nice stuff.

England didn't really play much football but because of individuals they were a lot brighter and lot more dangerous than I expected them to be. One of their few bits of real team play actually led to Sturridge's goal. Other than that there plan just seemed to be give it to Sturridge and Sterling and let them run with it. Depite the number of 'close things' they had they didn't really create many actual chances. The huge majority of their efforts came from Sterling/Sturridge/Barkley picking up the ball, taking on a couple of players and taking a shot from outside the box. After the shocking display by Uruguay thought that seems like it could certainly be enough.

Just in general I've got to say how much I've been enjoying the tournament so far. While I've admittedly not seen every single game all those I have seen have been entertaining. Quite often the first round of games can be quite dull because so many teams are desperate just to not lose so don't really go for it. Here however most teams have been attacking and going for the win. And most have been able to contribute to the games with very few being poor; Uruguay being the main exception. And Honduras I would say don't deserve to be there as like Tacitus said there only plan seemed to be to give France a good kicking. Oh and like HK I loved having football (Japan v Ivory Coast) on in the wee hours of the morning; was terrific and just such a novel experience.

I think Italy played better and I'm not complaining about their win. I just think that, with a little more luck, we might've actually gotten that draw. Hell, had we been able to hang on until the 70th minute we might've got the draw almost by default, as it wouldn't have surprised me, given the conditions and it being the first game, if both teams had decided that, unless they were given the game, they'd be happy with a draw.

Argentina were a little lucky, but I think they just about deserved their win.

Italy just did what they always do when protecting a lead - a line of 5, a line of 4 and the confidence to see the game out. Catenaccio. Ish.

Hit the sack last night just after Messi scored. My pre-tournament picks have started steadily and that's fine with me.

France looked very good against poor opposition, though. They won't hold my attention like the Wild Geese of 2006 but Pogba looks like he'll be a hell of a player - Vieira with a little bit of Zidane.

EDIT - I edited the poll for spelling. Sorry babu.

Englaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnndd! Its coming home, Its coming home, Its coming. Footballs coming home!

Pogba looks like he'll be a hell of a player - Vieira with a little bit of Zidane.
I still don't know what Fergie was thinking messing with this guy. I don't think there as anyone at United who didn't think he'd be absolute quality. Maybe not quite where he is already, but not far off. I don't blame him for going, though. If I saw Rafel being played in midfield rather than me I'd be looking to go, too. Let alone with the talent he has.

When people talk about Fergie running down United on purpose to make himself look good, this is the decision which makes me, at least, see where they're coming from.

Sorry to hear about your stepdad, Tacitus. It must be a thieves paradise when these things come to town.

Yep, if you see a skinny grey haired guy in his mid 60s in the crowd, looking like the most pissed-off man in the world, that'll be Steve. My cousin's arriving to stay with him (stepdad's working in Brazil all year) in a few days - That'll be a fun household.

Re Pogba - Yep, the more I see of him the more astounding it seems that Fergie let him go but these things happen, I guess. There could have been attitude problems, problems adjusting to life in England, the fact that he was very young etc. Can't believe that Fergie would deliberately damage the club to make his tenure look better but I do believe he didn't strengthen the squad over the last few years when he had the opportunity.

I just think he'd realised that building another team at this stage of his life was beyond him. No conspiracy, just poor planning from him and the board.

Re Pogba - Yep, the more I see of him the more astounding it seems that Fergie let him go but these things happen, I guess. There could have been attitude problems, problems adjusting to life in England, the fact that he was very young etc. Can't believe that Fergie would deliberately damage the club to make his tenure look better but I do believe he didn't strengthen the squad over the last few years when he had the opportunity.
I'd not heard anything like that, attitude, etc. I can only think that Fergie didn't trust him. But it does seem remarkable, given how he's played ever since he left. It's not like he's turned it on a year or two later. He looked good enough for United's first team as soon as he went to Juve.

I just think he'd realised that building another team at this stage of his life was beyond him. No conspiracy, just poor planning from him and the board.
I'm of the same opinion and I think the van Persie buy indicates that.

Another frustrating thing about Baines are his constant sideways passes. Yeh, Rooney is always sh*t for England in the WC and shouldn't play, can't believe you guys are all leaving out Henderson though, essential player in my eyes.

I'd play: Hart; Johnson (unfortunately), Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Lallana; Sturridge.