Movie Commentaries

Tools    

One of my biggest hobbies is watching movies, and I have been collecting DVD’s for a long time now. I really love DVD’s because of the extra features, mainly the commentaries most of all.

Do any of you guys feel that commentaries are important to listen to, or do you feel that they are not necessary? I really love them personally, because it gives you a chance to understand how the movie was made and what it took to film the movie.

When it comes to actors commentaries I like them as long as the actor acts like a normal human being and doesn’t take up half of the movie to explain why they took the part or how they felt about the movie. Those are the commentaries that I can do without.

i love to listen to commentarys. if you you really want to learn about a film and indivudual scenes nothing is better that director commentary

Agreed completely, commentaries are a great addition to DVD's. It takes me a long while sometimes to actually sit down and pay much attention to most of them, but they are appreciated.

Movie commentaries are the best, esp. on Wes Anderson movies ... he is too funny, and you get to see why things are the way they are.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The one on Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" is abysmal. I'd have rather heard J-Lo do a commentary on it than that guy droning on, describing the scenery. But generally speaking, I really like listening to them, both from directors and from actors.

A system of cells interlinked
I don't feel they are necessary, but I enjoy them nonetheless. Next up, I will watch The Aviator commentary. The Scorsese stuff I have heard so far has been great...

Personally, I know I'm one of the very VERY few but I don't even care about special features in general. I just see them as a nice bonus. I just buy DVDs strictly because I like the movie and I have about 260 DVDs. Rarely do I even look at the special features unless they're deleted scenes.

I'm really into commentaries, i think it's one of the many things that makes me prefer DVD way over VHS (as well as, you know, the incredibly better quality). I really like all of Kevin Smith's commentaries, and i think all the commentaries on both Donnie Darko DVDs are really interesting. The Fight Club commentary is also really good, as well as the Boondock Saints one.