Subtitles or Dubbed English?

Tools    

I was watching Fist of Fury last night. I've seen it loads of times, but last night was the first time I watched it with subtitles instead of dubbed English. I enjoyed it more with subtitles. Sometimes, dubbed English makes the actors look like they can't act. With subtitles, it feels more real. I used to always try and look for a copy of City of God with dubbed English, but now I realise that dubbed voices would ruin the film.

Which do you prefer? Subtitles or Dubbed voices?

Subtitles. Always. Of course. There shouldn't even be a question about this.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
There shouldn't even be a question about this.
Yeah, I realise this now. I don't know why I used to watch films with dubbed voices, I suppose it's because I was lazy.

In Tyler We Trust
Yea but i hate it when the subtitles goes by too fast and we dont get a chance to read it sometimes...
Good Subtitle Movies are RAN and Seven Samurai....

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Parky
Which do you prefer? Subtitles or Dubbed voices?
For live action movies I definately prefer subtitles...but for anime I like both.

We own several anime movies (and series) in both subtitles and dubbed. Some of the voices I like better dubbed and visa versa. My kids like to watch the dubbed version first and get a handle on the story, and then will watch the subtitled. So I guess I'm a switch hitter when it come to most anime. Although, I can't imagine a movie like Milliunium Actress ever being dubbed. The voices were perfect.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Psion
Yea but i hate it when the subtitles goes by too fast and we dont get a chance to read it sometimes...
I've tried to get my best friend to watch a few foreign movies with me and she says the same thing....one day I'll prod and nag her enough to watch a subtitled movie with me.

Bug Planet Proximus
[quote=Aniko]For live action movies I definately prefer subtitles...but for anime I like both.
[quote]
yeah, i agree
it is unbearable for me to watch a live feature movie being dubbed in another language. It adds a layer of cheapness into the film when you can see actors lips moving completely out of time.
Where is, i prefer to watch anime in english because most of the time the american voice actors can equal the performances of the originals and analyse the series just as well. Besides, its only cartoons and its not like you can spot the delays between the words and the mouth movement, because there is none.
it is also possible to find badly subtitled foreign films but i find that most japanese, italian and french movies are done quite well. Hong Kong and Chinese as well but sometimes they do have some cheaply done ones.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Parky
The best movie to watch that has dubbed voices is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach aren't dubbed.

By the way, Eastwood dubbed himself in Fistful of Dollars. He wasn't miked because they figured they would just dub him in Italian. When it became such a hit and was released in English speaking countries, Eastwood had to come back and give the speaking parts in a studio.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
I watched The Legend of the Drunken Master starring Jackie Chan a few weeks ago with subtitles, and there were 15 to 20 second sections throughout the film that would be dubbed English. Can anyone explain why? It kept flipping back and forth from Cantonese with English subtitles to English with no subtitles. ???

We All Go A Little Crazy Sometimes
Not sure, but i usually watch movies with subtitles anyway, even if they are englsish. The main problem oi have though is that some are on a preset subtitle to convert any foreign language to english but when i change to pure english subtitles and when they speak in a different language it doesn't show up, maybe one of the only downfalls of dvd.

Originally Posted by Psycho
Not sure, but i usually watch movies with subtitles anyway, even if they are englsish. The main problem oi have though is that some are on a preset subtitle to convert any foreign language to english but when i change to pure english subtitles and when they speak in a different language it doesn't show up, maybe one of the only downfalls of dvd.
You're not talking about subtitles then, you're talking about closed-captioning, which is different. And you watch every single movie with the closed-captioning on? Are you deaf? If so, I always thought DVD technology with its easy and prevalent closed-captioning would be a happy step up in home video technology, and better than the coding done through the TV set.

If you're not hard of hearing, why in the world would you usually turn on the closed-captioning feature???

of course with subtitles. it looks ridiculous with dubbed voices. but then again, sometimes subtitles are totally off and it makes me laugh when i realize they translated it wrong.

It has to be subtitles

Once, when I was staying with my brother and sister inlaw, they lived in Hong Kong then, I went to see a chinese movie with English subtitles, but trust me it was terrible, it was about Ninjas etc, a time of no technology, but the people who wrote the subtitles must have been stoned, it had things like, suck my d**k, mother f***er, it just didn't go with the movie

This is my Custom User Title
Subtitles definitely.. although they go too fast sometimes, or against un-contrasting background making them hard to read!

Originally Posted by Aniko
For live action movies I definately prefer subtitles...but for anime I like both.
I'm sorry i cannot agree completely. Anime is best subed any day. Have you seen the quality of some of the dubbed animes? especially for anime series (e.g. escanflowne, they didn't even pronounce the name right). they have these giant gaps between speeches that just ruins the mood.

i hate dubbed i tried watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon withought subtitles and i hated it

"I can't help it..."
Originally posted by MichaelMyers

i hate dubbed i tried watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon withought subtitles and i hated it
Yeah... We had to watch it last week at school dubbed.
Everyone in the class was like "I don't wanna have to read!" & thats why the teacher got the dubbed version... It really pissed me off!
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!