Kill Bill

Tools    

This is Tarantino's next, it stars Uma Thurman, Lucy Liu, and Daryl Hannah. Got this off Dark Horizons, pretty interesting interview-

Kill Bill: Quentin Tarantino traveled to Beijing in early March to prep for shooting on "Kill Bill" where he exclusively talked with Beijing Youth, and now a transcript is up at Monkey Peaches. Amongst the new highlights is that the film will be spead across four countries - China, Japan, Mexico and America as Uma's character travels around the world to kill the five men who've traumatized her. About the script, QT says: "For an average script, you must first imagine what the action scene is then you shoot it. But my script is different. In my script, you can see all the actions. In my script. action and fight scenes alone occupy 22 pages, which has cost me a whole year to write. This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I not only had to make it better but also had to design each move as well as the momentum and the strength among the words. Each sentence must show feelings and strengths. I just wrote and re-wrote, for a whole year. Just like this, the script has gradually been enriched and become more complete. I first wrote it section by section. If it was too hard to come out connections between sections, I just left them blank and went to watch Hong Kong movies, watch Japanese samurai movies, to look for inspirations to fill my script. This process is painful and long. The final product is something totally original and something of my own". Thanks to 'Ye Meng'
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Warren Beatty, Michael Madsen and Sonny Chiba also co-star. Jacqueline Bisset may also join the cast.

Kill Bill was supposed to start filming last year and be released by late summer/early fall of '02. But Uma got pregnant again, and rather than re-cast the role Tarantino decided to wait for her. Filming will begin this fall, which means the earlies we could see the finished product is Spring of '03.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Tarantino has described the way I write my scripts. Interesting.
He's a legend.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to this very much.
I do like Tarantino. I'd add more but I can't. I will admit though, I'm definatly in anticipation to see what the man can do again.

I love tarantino, i just got really excited when he said he was watching samurai and kung fu movies for his actions scenes.
remember how resivior dog and pulp fiction's story lines went together? was there any of that correlation in Jackie Brown?

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Should be awesome. I'm really into Hong Kong movies atm.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
is that beat takeshi underneat your name by any chance ?

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Better watch how you talk to the man, or you'll have a chopstick in your eye

Guy
Looks like this film will be very very violent.

In the vein of Tarantino films, I'm pretty sure that while, yes, there will be a few scenes of pure raw violence, the majority of it is going to not be shown, but is going to be enhanced by being offscreen, or having a lot of dialogue leading up to it, or something. It gives the illusion of some things being extremley violent because they can be so enhanced.

Of course, it just be very violent.

Woo-Ping Yuen is the action choreographer for this movie! He's the one thats always advertised as From the Matrix and CTHD, he also did Iron Monkey, Legend of Drunken Master, black mask...... and hes doing the upcoming movie Zu Warriors! I cant wait!!!

Warren Beatty pulled out of this one. David Carradine hopes to replace him.

Yeah, apparently Beatty couldn't wait around for all this extra time, plus due the extensive shoot abroad. Don't know if he's in pre-production on a film of his own, but the guy must have serious other comittments to drop out of this one. Does he not remember what Pulp Fiction did for Travolta?

Not that Beatty has been starring in talking baby movies, but his last project, Town & Country, was not only an awful movie (and boy, is it ever), but notorious in the Business for the delays and tremendous cost overrages. Well, it's not like Beatty NEEDS a higher profile. The man has Oscar nominations as an actor, a screenwriter, a producer, and he's won an Oscar for directing - plus a Thalberg. The guy banged every beautiful actress there was in Hollywood for thirty-plus years before settling in with Anette Benning. He's done all there is to do, he certainly doesn't HAVE to do anything at all anymore. Still....

As for David Carradine, I never much cared for "Kung Fu", but I thought he was excellent as Woody Guthrie in Hal Ashby's Bound For Glory (1976). That was about the only real acting assignment he ever got, and he's not exactly oozing with natural charm. But, we'll see.

Personally, if I were looking for another '70s icon to resurrect, I'd be much quicker to nominate Roy Scheider, Ben Gazzara, Jimmy Caan, Elliot Gould, George Segal or Bruce Dern before I'd call any of the Carradines.

So, I just read the script.

It's a very un-Tarantino screenplay that reeks of Tarantino; if that makes sense. Firstly, if Pulp Fiction was a homage to the French New Wave and Reservoir Dogs to Hong Kong Shoot-em-ups like City on Fire. If Jackie Brown was a nod to blaxploitation flicks of the 1970's, then you sure as Hell bet that what Tarantino is offering in Kill Bill is an epic piece of kung-fu embracing, Chinese/Mandarin/Japanese speaking insanity, sword-wielding violence. And it is violent.

WARNING: "Kill Bill" spoilers below
A partly comatose Bride [Uma Thurman; we don't learn her name until much later in the piece, not that it matters when we do] stabs a trucker in the head with a syringe. A black mambda attacks Budd, there's enough Samuri action to fill several bad films, and an entire chapter in which a near psychopathic master [who Quentin will play himself, I was suprised to learn] who makes Uma eat rat and punch a wall at a range of three inches until she puts a hole in it. This isn't mentioning the shotguns, car accidents, slashing of Achille's heels and the like. Violent, violent film.

What did I think?

I actually really enjoyed it. I think it's most obvious in this film as opposed to any of his others how much of an homage it really is. There's nothing really original about the entire thing, except to an extent its backstory. At 222 pages, it's a damned long read; ten chapters in all. It has some interesting characters, none more so than Budd, who will be played by Michael Madsen [and I think he'll do it well].

The most interesting thing was the lack of really quirky moments or humor. There's a moment between the truck drivers, and orderly and the Bride that made me laugh, and the manner in which Budd decides to, well, there's a scene in a graveyard that had me laughing. Although I'm not sure it's exactly funny. Some of Tarantino's Pei Mei had me laughing although it's really a departure in that sense. Dialogue doesn't lead to violence in this screenplay, violence leads to violence leads to violence leads to violence leads to violence.

At the start of the screenplay I was looking forward to seeing the film. At the end of the screenplay I was looking forward to seeing the film. During it, well, same. The thing is, I don't think it's a masterpiece of writing. It's really over-the-top in violence; an epic grindhouse picture, if you'd like [and plenty do, and are already calling it as such].

I'll see the film, and I look forward to seeing what Quentin will do after it. It's a huge departure from his first three films in some ways, and in other ways, not so much at all. The dialogue is all that had me worried. It just felt a little too detached from him in places [there's a wonderful scene between Bill and the Bride as they talk on car phones, however].

I have very mixed feelings. Perhaps it was too late to be reading such a tour-de-force of violence. 222 pages!

I eagerly await to see Kill Bill.
Tarantino's gone out on a limb of sorts with this one, let me tell you...

http://come.to/killbill

Amongst the new highlights is that the film will be spead across four countries - China, Japan, Mexico and America as Uma's character travels around the world to kill the five men who've traumatized her.
This is wrong, just by the way.
The original rumors stated that Bill was the Bride's pimp and that she had to go and kill the five men who had traumatised her.

Turns out that's not the case:

WARNING: "Kill Bill" spoilers below
Like in Mia Wallace's Fox Force Five stint in Pulp Fiction, the Bride is one fifth of the deadliest female assassin group in the world, organised by the world's best; Bill. Much, some may say, like Charlies Angels in some respects.

yeah i dont think a lot of people like to read the script before watching the movie.... It seems like it would totally ruin it.

A novel adaptation.
I liked the script,
but...
It could definitley use some work, I hope they post the changes soon.

Back with a bang!
Apparently the movie is also influenced by the Swedish movie Thriller (a.k.a. Hooker's Revenge, a.k.a. They Call Her One Eye, a.k.a. Thriller - A Cruel Picture) from 1974. It is a very wierd move about a girl that is forced to heroin addiction and prostitution, and about her revenge on her pimp. The movie is extremely graphic, and actually contains real hard-core sex scenes, as well as shots from a real autopsy. Tarantino claims it is one of his all time favourite movies.