Sad Movies

Tools    

Anybody know of any sad movies such as john q?

hehe thank you! I tried search but sad is under 4 chars

Radioactive Spider Blood
Hey LocalG, ever listen to that band Local H?

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

No, never heard of them. This name, I'm not even sure how I came up with

Fighting out of the Lions Den
"The Champ" -sad enough to make a grown man

I'm not old, you're just 12.
La Bamba. That is the saddest movie I have ever seen. That guy's life just sucked and sucked and sucked, then when he was just about to make it big, he gets killed in a plane crash. Whatta a downer.

Other sad movies:
Old Yeller (Don't watch if you love dogs)
Grave of the Fireflies
and
Return of the Jedi. I mean two of the greatest statesmen the world has ever known, Darth Vader and the beloved Jabba the Hutt meet their makers in the same movie.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The saddest movie of all time in my opinion has to be MY LIFE, with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. If you have not seen this movie, it is not only very sad, but touching as well. The movie is about a husband whose wife is pregnant with his first son. The husband, Keaton, is dying of cancer and he believes he will not be able to meet his son or raise him. So, he videotapes different lessons on life so his son will at least know a little about who his dad really was. Along the way, the husband realizes many things that he did not notice about his life. He slowly realizes what living is all about and what his life has meant to him and others.

My list of extremely sad but touching movies are: (I may forget some but that probably means I have not seem them)

1. My Life
2. The Green Mile
3. Braveheart (My favorite movie of all time)
4. Terms of Endearment
5. Beaches
6. Fried Green Tomatoes
7. White Fang
8. Philadelphia
9. Titanic
10. Where the Red Fern Grows (I can help it, I sobbed as a child watching this--Old Dan and Little Ann...sob, sob, sob!

I forgot E.T. I just watched that a couple weeks ago on TV and I cried only watching the ending even. Forrest Gump is sad too, especially when he finds out he has a son, his speech at Jenny's Grave, and where he tells little Forrest that he loves him (at the end). When a Man Loves a Woman is very sad, especially when Andy Garcia's character says "goodbye" to Meg Ryan's girls. The little one says, "where ya goin'? Ya goin on a trip?" That's so sad. Let me know of some other ones. Sometimes, you just get in the mood to cry. I did tonight, so I threw in My Life and started crying within minutes.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Guys, LocalG asked for a list of "sad movies such as john q". Obviously, in this instance sad is supposed to mean, "incredibly bad in quality, deplorable."

If that's the kinda sad you're shooting for, check out Dragonfly!

Shame on you Mr Bush, shame on you!
Well, Kevin Costner sucks so that has to ba a sad movie.
Watch Midnight Cowboy instead.
I feel hate 'cause I move fast

The Future Ed Wood
Watership Down anyone?

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

Originally Posted by Kong
If that's the kinda sad you're shooting for, check out Dragonfly!
Hey, I watched Dragonfly, and I thought it was a good movie. The ending most definitely made me cry.

My life isn't written very well.
Watership Down anyone?
Read that a looooong time ago. In fact, I'd lke to see them remake this a la Lord of the Rings. But the saddest movie I think I've ever seen is Schindler's List. I did cry after watching Pay it Forward too.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Read that a looooong time ago. In fact, I'd lke to see them remake this a la Lord of the Rings. But the saddest movie I think I've ever seen is Schindler's List. I did cry after watching Pay it Forward too.
Well, to accidently-studiously ignore kong's wisdom, I'd nominate "Mississipi Burning" as one that i've re-watched recently that tugged on the ole strings.

Are you talking about Watership Down r3? The animated version of that was classy - no need for a remake. I loved it as a kid - especially the trippy/parable beginning sequence.

Originally Posted by Golgot
Are you talking about Watership Down r3? The animated version of that was classy - no need for a remake. I loved it as a kid - especially the trippy/parable beginning sequence.
Yeah I read Watership Down waaaaaayyy back in the 70's. That is the thickest paperbacks I read in my youth. I thought the animated movie was wonderful, but I think they could do more with it now as far as special effects. Besides, it would be great to re-introduce this masterwork to this generation. Even if it's just to read it.

On another note, I just re-read Animal Farm recently, and it moved me differently as a man than it did as a kid.

On another note, I just re-read Animal Farm recently, and it moved me differently as a man than it did as a kid.
How so? What did you come away with each time? (i haven't read it since school).

I mainly remember the power imbalances and rhetoric that went with it; the emphasis on individuality (but also its subsuming of course. We did some of the history too - like how boxer [?] the horse was like a parallel for the hard-labour side of the work force + that guy who could shovel loads of coal and was put up as the national standard etc.); and those insiduous rule changes of course "..some are more equal.." etc. There was a kind of rebel mentality and familiar power-imbalance (student/teacher imbalance to our minds probably) that was attractive to most of us at around 16 etc i reckon.

Originally Posted by Golgot
How so? What did you come away with each time? (i haven't read it since school).

I mainly remember the power imbalances and rhetoric that went with it; the emphasis on individuality (but also its subsuming of course. We did some of the history too - like how boxer [?] the horse was like a parallel for the hard-labour side of the work force + that guy who could shovel loads of coal and was put up as the national standard etc.); and those insiduous rule changes of course "..some are more equal.." etc. There was a kind of rebel mentality and familiar power-imbalance (student/teacher imbalance to our minds probably) that was attractive to most of us at around 16 etc i reckon.
Well... when I read it then, I mostly concentrated on the animals talking. I got caught up in the story of good versus "evil" played out in the barnyard. Now...well...now it's more what you said.

Well... when I read it then, I mostly concentrated on the animals talking. I got caught up in the story of good versus "evil" played out in the barnyard. Now...well...now it's more what you said.
heheheh. If i'm honest, my central memories are more like that too. The sweep of the story and the engagingness of the characters. (Tho i wouldn't have put it like that at the time )