The Ring

Tools    

alright first check out this teaser: www.dreamworks.com/TheRing/teaser.html

then check out the imdb plot outline here: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0298130
Directed by the guy that did The Mexican
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I hate these hollywood remakes of foreign movies.

Just because they can't produce a decent horror-movie (lately), they have to rip off other movies.

On the brighter side, the Japanese Ring was f*cking scary, and could make for an okay remake. I guess we'll just have to see.

Its the next thing. First it was Comic ook movies. Now its movie remakes.

Beware the Moon
Why can't they just leave things well alone!!!!

They totally ballsed up the remake of Les Visiteurs with the terrible" Just Visiting and now they want to have a go at ruining the most successful Japanese Horror movie.

Ringu is a scary ass horror thriller there is no doubt about it and the sequel Ringu 2 is just as scary. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with it and the original is only 4 years old so why spoil one of the most nerve shredding experiences a movie lover could have.

There is an ample amount of literature out there which could provide some great movie fodder, but it is always overlooked in favour of blatant plagiarism.

Im with you guys, it truly sux how Hollywood is remaking modern foreign gems before they even have a chance to truly find there cult market.

The last one that really pissed me off was Cameron Crowes super sanitized VANILLA SKY remake of the brilliant OPEN YOUR EYES. (Christopher Nolan has supposedly done an OK job of reworking the brilliant INSOMNIA)

As far as RING goes, I own the original and the sequel and love both to death. I cant imagine the butchering job that Dreamworks is going to do but no doubt it wont be pretty. (They will probably design it to cater for the teeny SCREAM fans anyway)

turns out they are remaking another japanese movie "Kaosu" and guess what? they are calling it chaos

Beware the Moon
Very cool website dedicated to the Original Ring series can be found at http://www.somrux.com/ringworld/ Much better than the wussy dreamworks trailer.

I consider myself a horror movie fan, but, ummm... I am ashamed to say I have NEVER heard of this movie...

We dont have it in our store, but I am going to call tomorrow and see if we can get it.... You guys talk about it all over this forum...

why have I never heard of it before? Am I correct in assuming from the posts that it is foreign?.. is it in english or subs?....

Info appreciated as I need to know what I am requesting to order it... thanks....

Beware the Moon
The Ringu series are Japanese with English subtitles. They are available on Region 2 from Play.com

If your looking to order some classic Japanese movies you could do much worse than having a look at Audition and Battle Royale - Reviews of Ringu and Battle Royale to name but two can be found at the link below

Originally posted by Logan
[Reviews of Ringu and Battle Royale to name but two can be found at the link below [/b]
Thanks.
Nice site by the way.

You can check mine out at

http://aguyagirlandavcr.tripod.com

The Future Ed Wood
the ring series is one of the best trilogies i own. it just goes to show that hollywood studios these days have no ideas. well since we cant do anything about this classic being done i just hope that battle royale does not get remade!

the dvd to ring is very good, its got the video which they watch on its own and its really cool!

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

Beware the Moon
Originally posted by James2183
[b]it just goes to show that hollywood studios these days have no ideas. well since we cant do anything about this classic being done i just hope that battle royale does not get remade!
From what I've heard about this horrific mistake that is.....an American remake and there has been plenty. This is another blatant example of film makers COMPLETELY missing the whole damn point and needlessly destroying (by selective dissection) an outstanding piece of cinema.........It ain't broke so don't try to bloody fix it!!

Ok, so the Ringu movies aren't technically released in the US but that doesn't mean they have to remake it. Why not pay a lot less money and import it and retain it's ORIGINAL format and terror factor.

Seeing as certain countries still have Battle Royale on their "banned" lists, I wouldn't have thought anyone would have been so presumtious as to rehash it. But nothing is sacred these days. But I have to agree with James and I really do hope they don't try to remake it.

Perhaps Hollywood should try a little bit of that "Creative Thinking" thing and develop an original idea OF THEIR OWN for a movie project.........sequels not included!

The Future Ed Wood
the company that released battle royale in DVD made sure that it was region 0 so that the americans can import it. instead of making hashes of already released films why dont they get some of the directors brought in and make some good films. although it could prove a disaster making the directors go hollywood style! oh the horror

on the boards i frequent, we've been talking a lot about this site:

www.sevendaystolive.com

it looks like it's based off "ring". it links up to a couple of other trippy sites that are pretty cool too:

www.anopenletter.com
www.sadakoisdead.com

i was actually looking for stuff about the upcoming x-men sequel but saw this thread and thought you guys might be interested in those sites.

The Future Ed Wood
the eye sucks! you original eye is wayyyyyy cooler

Beware the Moon
You have got to face it........this is another in a string of sub-standard and detrimental remakes. After that trailer and the other bits and pieces available it is obvious this is nowhere near as good as the original.

Once again Hollywood destroys an exempliary example of cinema craft in favour of it's usual brash of CGI fuelled no-brain entertainment. If that trailer of the shallow mis-representation that is the "remake" of the REAL Ring impresses you, then you should really track down the Region 0 or Region 2 edition's of the originals......accept no substitute!

Incidentally, there are reviews for all 3 Ring movies on Logan & Glitz .Com