K-PAX

→ in
Tools    

There's one thing I've noticed about movies and the people watching them, u can always tell whose an optimist and whose a pessimist because 75% of the movies made are mediocre. I, the optimist like mediocre movies, while someone like steve(nothing personal,its not that i dont like u) doesnt enjoy regular movies, but we all come together for the 12.5% of movies that are good and the 12.5% that are bad.
I liked this movie, it was a regular science fiction film, so if u enjoy science fiction movies see this one, I also loved kevin spacey. Im not going to talk about this movie in detail or post any "SPOILERZ" until the majority of the 15 or so people that avidly post on this forum have either seen it, or decided not too, because trust me there is a lot to talk about when it comes to this film.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
What's your opinion on this movie merc?

I have a desire to see it mainly because of Kevin Spacey. So I will let you all know what I think no matter what.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I liked it, its Kevin Spacey at his best, but jeff bridges is lacking.any sci-fi fan should see this. The ending wasnt good, and thats what i thought was bad about it, but as we saw with planet of the apes (no the ending wasnt that bad) a bad ending can ruin a movie, but the thing about this is, it isnt an altogether horrible ending, i bet theres people out there who liked the ending. It was one of those "everything at the beginning makes sense at the end" movies.

Radioactive Spider Blood
I just came back from seeing this... I was impressed. Kevin Spacey was amazing, and Jeff Bridges did a pretty damn good job too.

The plot really moved along well, although it had some bumps in the road here and there. The ending didn't surprise me as it was somewhat in the same style as the rest of the movie. But that doesn't mean I knew exactly what was coming.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. Go check K-PAX out.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

K-PAX was OK as a vehicle for Spacey. He's definitely the main if not only reason to see it. But otherwise the movie is about as deep as a bucket and not quite as complicated.

But Spacey is amusing, and the movie moves from a) to b) quickly enough. Thought they could have spent less time on the cosmic mystery stuff, which everyone knows is gong to be a push by the end, and had more scenes of the patients interacting in the ward.

Can't say this was exactly a Cuckoo's Nest full of interesting faces and types, but there was more to be mined there. The most interesting of the bunch was Howie, the man who wears thick glasses and is given tasks by Prot. He was almost unrecognizeable, but that actor is David Patrick Kelly, who played a memorable string of bad guys in movies such as Dreamscape, 48 Hrs., Commando and Last Man Standing. I found myself wanting to spend more time with Howie and Prot than Prot and Dr. Mark Powell or his family.

The family stuff for Jeff Bridges' character was obviously just there for plot mechanics, to give him a cheap emotional connection to Prot's situation as it is revealed, and the obligatory if undeplayed (thank goodness) It's A Wonderful Life moments when he realizes how out-of-whack his Life priotities have been.

But overall I'd still recommend K-PAX for Kevin Spacey fans, as obvious and unspectacular the film is. As always Spacey's fun to watch. Would it have been so much trouble to find a story more original and worthy of his talents?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I absolutely loved this movie. I smiled the whole way through, and I just thought it was brilliant.

My god am I going to have to get that soundtrack!!!!

has anyone else noticed that they always have 5-11 year old daughters??? in every movie, it must add something.

My parents saw this movie not too long ago and thought it was pretty good. My mom said that it was "excellent" and that I'd really enjoy it. I haven't really gotten to see too many movies there have been a lot of movies that I've really wanted to see that I havent gotten to and this didn't rank as one of those. I really want to or at least really did want to see Training Day and Hearts in Atlantis I also of course want to see Heist. Out of the three I'd probably say I want to see Hearts in Atlantis the most but I really do want to see all three. It's a shame I haven't been to the movies since I saw Rush Hour 2 before school started and that was about 3 months ago when I saw that. And that's pretty unusual for me.

But GEEZ Holden how many movies do you usually see per week? It seems as if you're a real movie expert and you like to and most importantly have the time to see so many different movies. That's really great but how do you do it all?

Oh and last week or so I was watching this show called Hot Ticket , otherwise a very unremarkable show, it was the first time I'd seen it, and one of the guys when they reviewed it said it was really Oscar material and everybody else out there was like "WHAT?" he was like I think it's going to get a nomination for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor Kevin Spacey, etc...so I guess the reactions to this movie are varied. I'd like to see it and I definitely will one of these days--if not in the theaters than out on DVD when it comes out--but I was surprised to see such varied reactions to the film.

The syndicated TV show "Hot Ticket" is really lame. It tries to combine Roger Ebert's show with the format of "Politically Incorrect". It doesn't work.

And it really goes in streaks for how many movies I might see in a given week. I go through periods where I don't see anything in the theater for two or three weeks, then I'll have spurts where I see five or six movies over a few days. I probably average at least four or five movies a month in a slow period and often more like seven to nine. But the Fall and Winter when all the best films are released is when I really go nuts. There's not enough time in the week sometimes.

I can't imagine only going a few times per year or even only once a month. Sometimes I'll run into people who will say "I haven't seen a movie in the theater since Titanic" or whatever, YEARS between cinema visits, and I can scarcely comprehend. But, they probably get to read or some other form of entertainment a lot more than I do, so it evens out I suppose.

Yeah I agree Holden I saw that show again Hot Ticket today and I remembered how stupid it was! It's really a stupid show as I said very unremarkable. At least for the most part Ebert & Roeper works. I might not always agree with what they say, in fact a lot of times I don't, but the show in itself is usually somewhat entertaining and informative at times. It's not like that at all with Hot Ticket.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
[i]
But overall I'd still recommend K-PAX for Kevin Spacey fans, as obvious and unspectacular the film is. As always Spacey's fun to watch. Would it have been so much trouble to find a story more original and worthy of his talents?
That's funny you say that Holden. I thought this movie was right up Spacey's ally. I could almost see someone dropping the manuscript in Spacey's lap, and Spacey just eating it up.

As far as originality, what more do you want? I haven't seen a movie with this kind of premise before. Worthy of his talents? I thought it was a great vehical for his range. During the hypnosis sessions, Spacy was amazing ( as always ). Not everyone came away from this movie with a full understanding of what happened. I spoke with several ushers ( sister works at one of our theaters ) and they all said lot's of people didn't know what happened at the end. I got it, sounds like you got it...but that doesn't mean it wasn't complex.

Jeff Bridges is a dud. Never liked him. He's got about as much passion as a limp noodle.

Kevin Spacey fans...do not pass this one up. You will not be let down. I loved it, and if you've got it going on for Spacey as much as I do, you'll love this film too.

I'm actually a huge Jeff Bridges fan, and I love lots of his work: Fearless, The Fisher King, The Big Lebowski, White Squall, American Heart - all great stuff in my book, and that's just the '90s. But Bridges had nothing to work with in this K-PAX script. It was a pretty dumb, thankless role, and it would have been next to impossible for any actor to breathe life into it without changing it substantially. Oh, well.

K-PAX is a showcase for Spacey, and not much else.

Now With Moveable Parts
All those movies you mentioned of Bridges were good movies, but not because of anything he contributed. His father is the same way. They have the same facial expressions for everything.

A showcase for Spacey eh? I thought you said it wasn't worthy of his talent, so how could it have showcased anything? I thought it was a," dumb, thankless role, impossible for any actor to breathe life into it."

For me, it was just the opposite. I thought the character, Prot, was interesting...I bet Spacey had a lot to add to it. He was very convincing. Ah, well. People will see it, or not see it...despite what we have to say about it.

No, as should have been clear from my last post, the "pretty dumb, thankless role" in K-PAX I was referring to was Jeff Bridges' as the psychiatrist treating him. How you inferred I was talking about Spacey's Prot when the entire paragraph is dedicated to talking about Bridges escapes me, but there it is.

As I've said since my first comments about this flick, while I don't think the movie around him is at all worthy of his talents, Spacey's work is good and entertaining, as always, and he is "the main, if not only, reason to see" K-PAX. To me it is definitely a showcase of his acting talents, because unlike more complete films he appears in, for this one there's nothing BUT Spacey to recommend. Get me?

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah. I misunderstood you. I don't know why I thought you were talking about Spacey...reading too fsat I 'spose.

Anyhoo...there's more to this movie than just Spacey's performance. If anyone else was playing the role of Prot, I don't think it would have been AS good, but it wouldn't be an entire waste of a movie.

"During the hypnosis sessions, Spacy was amazing ( as always ). "

Yes, yes. And I 2 love Kevin Spacy. (I even loved the the one where he was a teacher and had scars.) His website tells nothing tho. Does anybody else see Actors Studio? He was great on that too! (As opposed to KevinKline who acted like he was Ak-ting!)

But why doesn't anybody remember how wonderful JeffBridges was in starman? He just does not work much, and he is not as cute as he used to be, so he doesn't get the yhummy roles. But he was taking aback seat so Kspacy would shine. I think that anyway. What was that movie he was in with his brother -- when they were entertainers? He was good in that.

Love,
Jozie

Now With Moveable Parts
The movie where Spacey had scars was called, Pay it Forward.

The movie with Jeff Bridges and his Bro. was The Fabulous Baker Boys.

Thank you Sade. You're nice. (And smart, too!)
;-D
Jozie

Now With Moveable Parts
Anytime doll...anytime.