Comic book movies

Tools    

ALrght they have gone overboard with the comic book movies.
with daredevil, ghostrider, superman, thor, spiderman, X-men 2, and yes Hulk, directed by Ang Lee.

EDIT - Took out the link you had in here, was a broken link.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

B&W
what the hech is thor? (dpn't bother to answer!)

Peace,

Guy
Is this all because of X-Men's recent popularity?

Same thing is happening with books, a couple popular books make a ton of money and now every book (fantasy) has to be a movie

my favorite comic book films are x-men, unbreakable, the matrix, batman (1989). these aren't necessarly books adapted from comics but they have the feel of it IMO.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, Unbreakable is the only movie you listed not directly related to comics other than story wise. The Matrix was based on a comic book series.

Thor, is a viking like superhero, not entirely one of the best. Why they are or aren't (depending if mecurdius just said that to be saying it) is a little fuzzy.

However, Dare Devil, Hulk, Spider-Man(VERY COOL), are all very worthy of a movie. Ghost Rider, sorry you really don't qualify.

For a while, talks of a new Superman movie were going around with Nic Cage as the blue wonder. Those talks fell through, and bye bye went Superman. Besides, I'm sure Nic didn't want to be involved with the cursed superhero.

Moved this to the General Movie Discussion area, just fits better here.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Yeah,most comic book movies are total crap. Batman and Robin, Superman 3 and 4, and the trully hellish Fantastic Four (Which is pretty hilarious, but not intentionally) all spring to mind, but there are a few good ones. The all time best comic book movie, in my hunble opinion, is Ghost World by Terry Zwigoff. It was adapted for the screen by it's creator Daniel Clowes, and isn't a horrible bastardization of the source material. Seeing this will change your opinion on comics movies, and will make you want to read the original book. Neither will disappoint.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Beware the Moon
Thor, is a viking like superhero, not entirely one of the best. Why they are or aren't (depending if mecurdius just said that to be saying it) is a little fuzzy.
Thor was the Norse god of Thunder, son of Odin and brother to Loki the god of lies and mischief. The character of Thor became one of the "Avengers" fighting alongside Captain America and Iron Man.

Totally agree about "Ghost Rider". He isn't one of the best characters and certainly doesn't deserve a movie.

Blade was a surprise.....seeing as he started out as a supporting character in the Spiderman comics. He has also undergone several notable changes to achieve a big screen presence.

Am reserving judgement on the Dare Devil movie.........I think several other characters should have been afforded a crack of the whip first I am definately not convinced about what they have done to the character of Elektra for this movie, it hardly looks anything like her That should be carefully handled because of her connection to Wolverine from the X-Men.

The X-Men as a comic book movie lets the fans down in some respects. As a movie it is ok and has some very good points, but from an old fans perspective it was dissappointing. The Tim Burton Batman movie was terrific and managed to capture a lot of the dark and oppressive mood portrayed in the comics.

Probably not a particuarly popular opinion, but hey we all have one

more DC!! more DC!!!
could you imagine a green lantern movie? It would be great! hell, just make a justice league movie!

The Future Ed Wood
dont forget dragonball z , thats in the making. i would like to see transformers or thundercats made into a film as they were my childhood cartoons

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

In a previous thread, I posted a poll on whether to choose Daredevil or Spiderman .
This one will broaden the choices.

That's until X2 and The Hulk are released....

1. Batman
2. Batman Returns
3. Superman:The Movie
4. Spiderman
5. X-Men
6. Daredevil
7. Captain America
8. Other

Captain America?!? What about Blade, Conan the Barbarian, Men In Black, Mystery Men, Dick Tracy, Popeye, Akira, Casper, The Phantom and Tank Girl, to name a bunch of varying quality. And The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen also hits screens this summer. The worst with any decent budget so far (therefore most definitely not counting Captain America or even The Punisher, though both unwatchable) have been Judge Dredd and Howard the Duck, both horrid bastardizations of the books - plus really lousy movies besides.

The upcming comic book flick I'm most anticipating is American Splendor. Paul Giamatti can SO be Harvey Pekar.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
The Shadow felt like a comic book movie, although it sprang from the radio series, I believe. A radio station near us used to play reruns of that old show on Sunday nights when I was a teen, and I listened every week. Made me really wish they'd come out with new radio shows like that. Very creative. The movie just didn't live up. I had become used to *not* seeing any of the action, just hearing it.

Also, has anyone mentioned Flash Gordon? At least that movie knew it was campy and silly -- or did it?

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
What about the upcoming Hellboy?

I named previous comic book films on the top of my head and was in a rush at the time.

Other would be a choice, I presume if none of the above is your liking. I am asking here now, what film is your favorite?

I might have not named ALL comic related movies so this might be interesting...or not.

why talk smack on stuff that's working
comic book movies are at an all time high right now because we finally have the technology to do them justice
they are really really pretty

i wasnt' going off in any way shape or fashion...if anybody was it was you
can't wait to see what the hulk is like tho
so many comic books i would love to see as movies

God Jason, quit talking smack!!!

Oh yeah, I loved Flash Gordon.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I was just kidding, and I said I loved Flash Gordon!

Sheesh, the attitude with some people.

(light hearted ribbing, I promise)

Im not entirely sure what the fuss is all about. Hollywood likes to do things in phases. A few years ago it was Grisham or Clancy style novels, and "based on real events" movies, a personal bugbear of mine, always seem to be in vogue. Its just the turn of comic books now. After the success of X-Men the money people sat up and took notice of a world of stories that hadnt been tapped for a while. Each character they looked at had a multitude of possibilities for stories. Looking through my DVD collection there are quite a few movies related to comics, the obvious ones, X-Men, Spiderman, Superman and less obvious ones such as Blade, Virus, Josie & The Pussycats and Ghost World.

Why not? Some of the best writers have moved into the comic world. Japanese film makers have been doing it for years.

A lot of recent movies have been based on comics but as long as people keep going to see them the studios will keep making them. The stars of Spiderman signed up for a three movie deal before the first one was made and Ive heard that Daredevil 2 is not far off (Based on Kevin Smith's run if rumours are to be believed).

I think the best movies are made from comics that arent that mainstream or popular, such as Blade, Matrix, Ghost World and Road To Perdition. That said X-Men, Spiderman and Daredevil were enjoyable. As Holden said we have League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen coming out, as well as Bulletproof Monk. Watchmen has been talked about for years, as has Preacher. JMS' Rising Stars is going ahead as well as some of the CrossGen properties. There arent many comic properties that havent at least been looked at for big screen conversion. The world of comics has a lot to offer I say embrace it, rather that than bloody period dramas. Youve always got the fun of going to see a Marvel movie and trying to spot Stan Lee, he's always in there somewhere.