Iron Monkey

→ in
Tools    

i loved this movie, best kung fu film besides CTHD and The Last Hurrah for Chivalry. It was a really fun movie. I liked it, if u like martial arts movies, go see this one.

BTW: next week i will see Croky and Bandits a couple of days early.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Don't give a rat's @ss about Kung-Fu Fantasy flicks, but for anyone else interested in Barry Levinson's caper comedy Bandits, starring Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton and Cate Blanchett, there are sneak previews all over the U.S. this Saturday evening (October 6th). Check your local listings.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

So what are your predictions for Iron Monkey box office wise? Do you think the success of that Masterpiece Crouching Tiger(Ahem..Holden) will help Iron Monkey or do you think people will think of it as a copy cat and not see it? Is America ready to give Asia action flicks a chance yet or not?

Good question. Hmmm, it's 20 times easier to predict a film's completely Box Office haul the weekend after it opens...but I'll take a stab at it anyway: $45-50 million total. $8-13 million it's opening weekend. I may end up looking pretty foolish, though. However, I'd be very surprised if it happened to go higher than my predictions. I'm somewhat worried that it will go lower. We'll see.

Hmm.. good guess. I'll say the same for opening weekend, but I will go higher in total to $60 - $75 million.

There isn't much to watch right now, plus people want scary stuff. I predict From Hell will be #1, but I've heard rumors that this Iron Monkey is a re-release. And if it's the Iron Monkey I think it is, it will kick butt! (pardon my pun) Word of mouth will spread and viola! $70 million. Also it will further the cause of Asian action films in this country.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
When did the original Iron Monkey come out? Cuz this one looks so revamped, lush visuals, better sound effects, etc, etc, than the usual chop-chop i grew up with.

i like how they had so many conventions ... the chick flying around to catch all the papers, the bamboo-top fight, etc ... looks like this movie will have it all.

this one, repackaged as it is, with rock music to emphasize the choreography, etc, should DEFINITELY appeal to mass audiences who are looking for something to make them forget recent events that still embraces "violence" but which doesn't depend on bombs, aeroplanes, guns, etc. this is good old fashioned culture, and foreign and ancient, to boot.

Oh! Action without bombs! Didn't think of that! It came out in 1993, I looked it up. The story's not as good as CTHD but the action scenes are! You can actually go out and rent this if you can find it. My video store only has one copy and it's always rented out.

Now With Moveable Parts
My mom just told me about this movie yesterday.I want to see it.CTHD paved the way for all these Kung Fu movies.I like them,they are great when you're not in the mood for Hollywood hoopla...looks like pretty good effects for coming out like 8 years ago.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by sadesdrk
My mom just told me about this movie yesterday.I want to see it.CTHD paved the way for all these Kung Fu movies.I like them,they are great when you're not in the mood for Hollywood hoopla...looks like pretty good effects for coming out like 8 years ago.
Please don't say that again.

Rock God
i wanna see this movie, too. it's crazy how much i loved cthd... anyway, where are the reviews? didn't anyone see it yet?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by OG-
Originally posted by sadesdrk
Please don't say that again.
say what OG...I don't mean all the Kung Fu movies ever;I meant Iron Monkey wasn't released here because there wasn't a market for it untill CTHD...is that what you're all sore about?

brodie- please read the top of the thread
BTW: how do u do the quote thing???

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I hate how everyone says CTHD like did something revolutionary that was never done in a movie before and is now making kungfu movies forever better. The movie was not a kungfu movie. Not in the least. Nor did it pave the way for anything, in my opinion. It paved the way for mainstream crap Kung Fu movies, so frankly I don't give a **** if millions see my favorite movies because all of a sudden their popular, because I've already seen them! Iunno its hard to explain...I'll start a new thread about it.

Saying CTHD paved the way for Kung Fu movies is like saying there would be no rock bands without ACDC or no good bands without the Beatles, it just isn't true.

Now With Moveable Parts
Oh...Oh..please start a thread about this...I would love to debate this point with you!

Yeah start a thread cause I think you're on crack.

Now With Moveable Parts
Hm...okay.We'll see,sunfrog.Start it OG...dare you

Female assassin extraordinaire.
where's this thread so I can come in and kick some @ss? just kidding. actually OG, i kinda agree, others came before that allowed IT to be. but then again, this movie had a budget and added bonuses that allowed it to be a great cinematic experience even though a great story and wonderful fight scenes are nothing special in martial arts films. also, this film is more an epic/romantic drama than a true kungfu movie, cuz it concentrated more on that love/romantic element than on the core values of fighting and the training of a student. i think in that sense it does cater to the western mainstream. then again, if all future fighting movies could incorporate the visuals and cinematography that CTHD has ... heaven. so i hope they make new stuff that fits the bill.

Now With Moveable Parts
he won't start it cuz he's scared......LOL...

Huh? Wha?? That's right, he's too scared!
Hey! Don't be scared. What's the matta cat got your tongue? HAhahahahaa!

::OG appears!::
We'll see about that!
BANG! SPLAT! SMASH! POW!

Owwww! My head! Oooooo! You don't have to be so rough! Master! Save us! This guy said his kung-fu argument could beat your kung-fu argument.

Huh? Oh he did did he?

Yeah, he said your kung-fu argument stinks. That's right. Stinks.

Uh!?