Best Comdedic Genius

Tools    

Name some of most brilliant movie comedians of all time. I will post more later, but for now, what about Jim Carey and Jerry Lewis? Absolute genius.

Originally Posted by firegod
Name some of most brilliant movie comedians of all time. I will post more later, but for now, what about Jim Carey and Jerry Lewis? Absolute genius.
Neither of them rate highly in my book.

Gotta start with Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd and Chuck Chaplin. Other greats from the Silent era, but those three are geniuses of the highest order.

Cary Grant was more than just a comedian, but his comic timing was impeccable, and his persona effortlessly charming.

The Marx Brothers, for sure. Geniuses all (well, forgetting Zeppo anyway).

Alec Guinness, in the series of Ealing comedies of the '50s.

His successor, Peter Sellers.

I'd take Hope & Crosby over Martin & Lewis, and Abbott & Costello over both those duos, but while all were immensely entertaining I wouldn't go quite so far as to call any of them geniuses.

Jack Benny, who's best film is Lubitsch's To Be or Not To Be (masterpiece), but most of his genius material can be found on television and radio.

Lenny Bruce. If I have to explian his inclusion, shame on you.

Bob Newhart. Genius as a stand-up, and that genius translated perfectly into two brilliant sitcoms.

George Carlin. Bruce's successor in many ways, though it took him a couple decades to get angrier and angrier and distill it into brilliant comic observations. Hippy-Dippy Weatherman no more, just a genius.

Richard Pryor, for damn sure. He had some good moments in film, but of course his undistilled genius is his stand-up. Took the ground Bruce had broken and exploded new ground all of his own.

I'll stop there for now, let all you kids get in your Jim Carreys and Adam Sandlers. Then after I'm done puking, I'll add some more.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I agree with most of those. I have a question, and I am not being sarcastic. Do you consider stand-up shows to be movies? In that case, I would rate George Carlin up there as well. Some more of my picks are: Richard Pryor, Charles Chaplin and Robin Williams.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
George Carlin is the only active comedian you'd include in the mix, Holds?

No Larry David?

Originally Posted by OG-

No Larry David?
I like Larry David, but I wouldn't put him up there at all. Or Sandler, or Seinfeld, or any comedian from the last few years except for Carey, Williams and Carlin, if he applies.

Originally Posted by OG-

No Larry David?
As should be clear from my list, I was working forward from Chaplin. I stopped in the early '70s with Carlin and Pryor.

But yes, I do consider Larry David a genius. Gary Shandling and Ricky Gervias too.

By the way, when I ask for genius in movie comedians, I am not using the absence of the word comedienne (like the puke green?) to suggest men only. Both men and women apply.

A system of cells interlinked
For me, no one beats Peter Sellers, the master of subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) physical comedy. I think that while watching A Shot in the Dark a few weeks ago, I laughed every 15 seconds from start to finish. The guy kills me.

Welcome back Fire, btw....

Originally Posted by Sedai
For me, no one beats Peter Sellers, the master of subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) physical comedy. I think that while watching A Shot in the Dark a few weeks ago, I laughed every 15 seconds from start to finish. The guy kills me.

Welcome back Fire, btw....
Thanks, man. I'm kind of a newbie again, it seems, but it's good.

carol burnett, lucille ball, madeline kahn, gilda radner, laraine newman

zero mostel, phil silvers, gene wilder, woody allen, jack gilford, mel brooks

i left out danny kaye!!! arrgh!

Well I would like to add Chevy Chase to the list of physical comedians, he was great back in his prime (Caddyshack, Fletch, Vacation) and Nicole Sullivan (of MAD T.V. fame) she too can do the physical stuff, Bill Murray has always been good (his films however, may not have always been that great ) and without dragging this on too long, I have to say Redd Foxx was a comedic genius. I used to watch Sanford and Son growing up, and I still laugh everytime I hear "They must've used your face as the mold for gorilla cookies!". It's too bad Harlem Nights was his last flick, I wish he could've done more before he left.

Originally Posted by firegod
By the way, when I ask for genius in movie comedians, I am not using the absence of the word comedienne (like the puke green?) to suggest men only. Both men and women apply.
I know most kids only know her as the gross, dying grandma in National Lampoon's Vacation, but Imogene Coca was a genius. Some of the things she did with Sid Caesar were peerless.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sellers, for sure, but I always liked Mr Terry Thomas.

"Good show!"

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Neither of them rate highly in my book.
Remember now kids, it is Holden's book that matters!!!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Hmmm.. geniuses. John Cleese and Jacques Tati, probably. I really enjoy Eddie Murphy's old stuff.

He probably doesn't count here, but I really admire the comical talent of David Letterman. His effortless way of just "being funny" without, seeminlgy, not having to work especially hard amuses me every time I watch his show. The rather pointless humor that appears to be going nowhere is just my cup of tea. I still think he's the number one talk show host.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

"I can't help it..."
Woody Allen.
John Stewart.
Dave Chappelle.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!