We Were Soldiers

→ in
Tools    

Sergeant Major Basil Plumley (Sam Elliott) had some of the best lines in the film, IMO...

If any of you sons of bitches calls me grandpa, I'll kill you.
Yes! And he had so few lines in the movie. BTW, both he and Gen Hal Moore are still alive. Here are some pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Moore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Plumley

Sergeant Major Basil Plumley (Sam Elliott) had some of the best lines in the film, IMO...

If any of you sons of bitches calls me grandpa, I'll kill you.
When I heard the stats on Plumley in the movie I had to look it up to see if it was true and, of course, it was:

Plumley is a veteran of World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. He made all 4 combat jumps with the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division in World War II (Sicily, Salerno, D-Day and Market Garden) and one in Korea with the 187th Airborne Infantry Regiment. He retired as a Command Sergeant Major on 31 December 1974. After his retirement he worked 15 more years for the Army at Martin Army hospital as a civilian and retired again in 1990.

There were many nice touches that added realism to the film but here is one that most viewers will never notice:

Although many of the names are never really seen or said throughout the movie, very careful attention was paid to ensure every member of the company was represented properly in the film. For every person that was a member of the company in real life, there was an actor on screen, most of which resembled the actual soldiers themselves.

You ready? You look ready.
There were many nice touches that added realism to the film but here is one that most viewers will never notice:
Although many of the names are never really seen or said throughout the movie, very careful attention was paid to ensure every member of the company was represented properly in the film. For every person that was a member of the company in real life, there was an actor on screen, most of which resembled the actual soldiers themselves.
Yup, except for THIS guy and the rest of his unit.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yup, except for THIS guy and the rest of his unit.
Already mentioned by Caitlyn in a previous post.

(You know, you get upset when people don't read the posts on threads where you are active. Please show the same courtesy.)

You ready? You look ready.
Yes, I know. However, you can't say that everyone was represented after someone already said everyone wasn't represented, so go stand in a mirror while you roll those eyes.

Yes, I know. However, you can't say that everyone was represented after someone already said everyone wasn't represented, so go stand in a mirror while you roll those eyes.
If you read my post you would see that I didn't state it. It was a quote from IMDb.

Get back in the Shoutbox McClane.

And now I have my first negative rep on this forum - from Big John McClane. And for what? Stating the truth.

You know, I've never given out a negative rep. Seems just a bit petty to me.

Let's get back on track here . . .

A few things things missing in this movie which caused me to like it even more: the lack of politics, the lack of too much back-story, the lack of extraneous love affairs, and the lack of of soldier conflicts. I know conflicts exist among soldiers of a unit -- we all know this -- but these are forgotten when the battle starts. As Col Moore tells his troopers up front, "once this starts all we'll have is each other."

Great Great Great! movie, Mel Gibson does an amazing job. His character is spot on along with his assistant in command. Loved this movie and am always interested in seeing war movies to see if they are historically correct.

Definite recommend for anybody who wants to see a great war movie, with great characters and accuracy.