Review: Iron Man 2

→ in
Tools    

I am hoping to see it this week I liked the first one i thought it was a lot of fun so i am hoping this will be also

im not sure about that

What are you not sure about? Whether or not you've made enough asinine posts?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Is there anyone on this forum who saw it and really liked it?

I am burdened with glorious purpose
*raises hand*

I saw it and really liked it.

I liked the first one more, but I thought it was entertaining and watching Downey Jr is a pleasure. The dialogue is witty, the action was pretty intense, and Mickey was interesting as he said a lot with his eyes because he didn't say much else!

Beware The Probe!
I just saw it the other day and loved it.

I don't know why so many folks didn't care for it, it was pretty much what I expected to see.
Awesome popcorn flick.

I do agree the first one was better but I still enjoyed this one.
Black Widow was NOT the Black Widow from the comics.
I love Scarlet Johansson but she wasn't the right choice for this roll or just didn't act the part the way it should have been.

Natasha Romanov is a sexy sultry deadly seductress of a killer with a Russian accent, not the girl next door with mad ninja skillz. Maybe she will be better in the Avengers or Nick Fury movies or maybe she'll be more Jessica Alba.

Looking forward to the DVD for this.
There were a few scenes cut that I really wanted to see.

Lastly…
I seriously loved the Ironettes.
I want one!

My opinion IM2 should have had The Mandarin as the villian. Being that Raza the commander of the terrorist group, "The Ten Rings", is involved with The Mandarin. Possibly for IM3 ?

There was supposed to be an Easter egg located in IM2 with a billboard of Fing Fang Foom. But I guess it got cut out or wasn't put into the film as stated.

Beware The Probe!
Oh If we are asking for stuff, then I want the Iron Man suit. Purely for portable air conditioning. :-|
Also, according to Tony's drunk bathroom scene, it has a built-in waste disposal unit.
And you can drink it.

There was supposed to be an Easter egg located in IM2 with a billboard of Fing Fang Foom. But I guess it got cut out or wasn't put into the film as stated.
I'll have to look for that on the DVD.
I assumed Mandarin was coming soon too.

9.5/10

Yeah, he can still fly! There's no doubt, comic book or not, it's one of the better action/adventure movies in recent memory. Its depth of emotion and character combined with tremendous action means this could very well be the best comic book movie ever produced. It's superb in every way. The Iron Monger battle at the end of Iron Man was very cool but was lacking. Not so this time around. The Iron Man and War Machine VS The Drones finale may be the best action scene in movie history.

I love this quote by Robert Downey Jr.: "I can honestly say that Tony Stark is the coolest character I’ve ever played. If I look at anything, it's the mythology that has grown up around him and how I can use that to raise this movie to a really high order of art." Mission accomplished, Robert. IM1 took the comic book genre to the highest level and IM2 builds perfectly upon the first film. Downey and Favreau again deliver a movie with as much feeling as it has action and intensity. In fact, the action is taken to the next level while sacrificing none of the complexity or heart that made the first film an instant classic. I totally agree with most of the fans and even film critics who are praising Iron Man 2.

Lastly…
I seriously loved the Ironettes.
I want one!

I totally agree, I loved the movie, but this scene really had me paying attention

I still haven't seen this one, but I like part 1 very much.

The more I see this (yes, I've seen it a few times) the more I think it's a brilliant film.

Why do I think it’s brilliant? Well, let’s start with a quote. A smart man once said that most stories “labor under the tyranny of the perfect hero.” Meaning, most heroes are homogenized to the point of losing dimension and true interest. What I love about these Iron Man films is the fact that they let the protagonist be wrong. Tony Stark struggles against his own flaws, you sense he’s trying to be better but still caters to and even enjoys his inner demons. There’s a complexity of balance there and when he overcomes them is truly the mark of a hero. It’s certainly damn interesting. The makers of this film never make him purely heroic and that’s why the character reaches the level of brilliance. He’s a true fallible protagonist. It’s what makes the things he actually does right more remarkable.

Life is about purpose, struggle and pain and Iron Man 2 perfectly captures the endeavors of Stark to try and get a handle on all three. He’s always bumping up against his own limitations. Breaking through is what makes him a true hero. Most of the characters in this movie are written wonderfully. They are not perfect and are flawed but each flawed in a different way. Making a movie on this scale, you must convince the audience to follow the protagonist but the supporting characters as well. It resonates so much more if the characters are fallible. Most connect with that and love the “when the going gets tough, the tough get going” mentality. Still, Stark grows and evolves by letting others finally help him. Pepper, Rhodey, SHIELD and lastly, his father.

Stark hopes to grow and heal both physically and emotionally and the viewer hopes he does as well. Writing that effectively is tough and when a film manages to deliver, that’s brilliant. There’s a subtle depth to Iron Man 2 and it’s refreshing to see a summer film use some restraint with the subtext. It combines it all so well. The source of conflicts come from all angles and puts pressure on the fallible protagonist from all sides… self pressure, the government and Rhodey, Hammer, Ivan and even Pepper. Relationships don’t stay fixed, like the character, they evolve dynamics between character shifts. To me, that’s not just good story telling, that’s brilliant.

Fans of the comic book might well be satisfied. Anyone else will find moments here %u2013 it certainly looks cool %u2013 but might, like me, leave the cinema feeling a little undernourished.