Official Leonardo DiCaprio Thread

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
That's a very interesting opinion. Thanks for so much elaboration.
But didn't you think DiCaprio "released to it" with What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries? To me, those were two of his most outstanding transformations.

nope. i'm still saying i think he was *very good* then but there was that little piece of him, which i think was tied to youth, that he was holding back, or maybe just hadn't found yet. despite how much he gave i still didn't believe him 100% until The Aviator.

Interesting. Well, these things are very subjective, obviously.

See the trailer here:

Anyone seen the 11th hour yet? or have any opinions on Leo producing/hosting this year's environmental horror-doc?
I saw it on opening weekend. Very solid, engaging documentary. 4 stars. It was manipulative and borderline sentimental at times, but very entertaining.

I agree with you one hundred percent. I am lucky to be able to witness his work, and eagerly look foward to more movies, especially with Martin Scorsese. I think I read somewhere, perhaps on imdb.com, that he was going to make another movie with Cate Blanchet... now wouldn't that just be fabolous????

Leonardo Dicaprio>All
He is the best of this generation, I agree. He is the next Deniro.

He is the best of this generation, I agree. He is the next Deniro.
You really do love him don't you? and I mean you REALLY love him, I'm not saying he's bad, but the next Deniro? really? seriously?

OMG i finally figured it out... I bet you ARE Leonardo DiCaprio... coming on this forum under the guise of some random fan,

can I have your autograph?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
He is the best of this generation, I agree. He is NOT the next Deniro.
Oops you forgot to add a word, I'll put it in the quote for ya

Movie Forums Member
This kid can play anything, from the mentally challenged Gilbert Grap to an undercover shrew in The Departed.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm going to let your descriptions slide and agree with what he did in both movies. Hell, I thought he deserved a Best Actor nom for Titanic.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im not too fussed on Mr DiCaprio to be honust. Ive seen him in a couple of things and not really liked him. The one film which I really enjoyed with him as the main charector was "Catch me if you can" that was a brilliant film.

That's an excellent opinion from thmilin. From my point of view Leo is always a talented actor. We can really see it from his early movies. I remember watching him playing as a retarded boy (forget the name of the movie) and he was just great. In fact he always performs good in every movie, movies that I have watched that is.

Now if they can just update the fax machine number for Appian Way (on IMDBPro) that would be great.

K so this thread has pretty much been dead since last year, but I can't bite my tongue. Leonardo DiCaprio is the best actor in his age range (I hesitate to say 'generation' cuz where does that begin/end exactly? Does it include Sean Penn, pushing 50, and Daniel Radcliffe, just 20?).

Many people think he's restricted in terms of range of roles thanks to his boyish looks and they can't take him seriously as a tough guy in The Departed or historical figures like J. Edgar Hoover and Howard Hughes. And it's true, the guy probably still gets carded for cigarettes. But it shouldn't be so much about physical appearance as range of emotion. Actors are too often praised for their ability to transform into anybody, but rarely for building a performance from the inside out. And that's a talent DiCaprio has in spades.

He has an undeniable ability as an actor, particularly in tortured roles or as people with dual identities--something I think he excels at. He was so great at displaying real vulnerability in The Departed, and lonely immaturity in Catch Me if You Can, and believable street smarts as a South African diamond smuggler in Blood Diamond.

Plus, he was ignored in Revolutionary Road, which easily should have earned him at least a nod if not the win. Strip away all your preconceived notions of the man and watch that movie with an open mind. I guarantee you'll think his work is astonishing. And of course, he was great in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, This Boy's Life, Marvin's Room, and The Basketball Diaries.

Finally, his performance in "Shutter Island" deserves to win a long overdue Oscar for Leo. Even people who don't particularly like him, can you at least concede that his performance in this film was the best of the year so far? I can't think of anyone who comes close. Struggling to let go of the past and his wife, processing the horrors of war, doubting himself with increasing paranoia and impending insanity, I mean just every scene with him in it was amazing. THAT SCENE IN THE END BY THE LAKE???!!! Come on people.

Hes a good actor, but I dont think hes overdue for an Oscar. Hes only been nominated 3 times, and in each of those years there was always someone that was better. Revolutionary Road was a good performance but theres a problem that I have with DiCaprio is sometimes he can go a bit too over the top and forced, which lacks naturalism. Its the same problem I have with Shutter Island, he has his moments of brilliance but there are times where his acting doesnt seem very authentic and natural like say De Niro or Denzel Washington

It's all in the reflexes.
K so this thread has pretty much been dead since last year, but I can't bite my tongue. Leonardo DiCaprio is the best actor in his age range (I hesitate to say 'generation' cuz where does that begin/end exactly? Does it include Sean Penn, pushing 50, and Daniel Radcliffe, just 20?).

Many people think he's restricted in terms of range of roles thanks to his boyish looks and they can't take him seriously as a tough guy in The Departed or historical figures like J. Edgar Hoover and Howard Hughes. And it's true, the guy probably still gets carded for cigarettes. But it shouldn't be so much about physical appearance as range of emotion. Actors are too often praised for their ability to transform into anybody, but rarely for building a performance from the inside out. And that's a talent DiCaprio has in spades.

He has an undeniable ability as an actor, particularly in tortured roles or as people with dual identities--something I think he excels at. He was so great at displaying real vulnerability in The Departed, and lonely immaturity in Catch Me if You Can, and believable street smarts as a South African diamond smuggler in Blood Diamond.

Plus, he was ignored in Revolutionary Road, which easily should have earned him at least a nod if not the win. Strip away all your preconceived notions of the man and watch that movie with an open mind. I guarantee you'll think his work is astonishing. And of course, he was great in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, This Boy's Life, Marvin's Room, and The Basketball Diaries.

Finally, his performance in "Shutter Island" deserves to win a long overdue Oscar for Leo. Even people who don't particularly like him, can you at least concede that his performance in this film was the best of the year so far? I can't think of anyone who comes close. Struggling to let go of the past and his wife, processing the horrors of war, doubting himself with increasing paranoia and impending insanity, I mean just every scene with him in it was amazing. THAT SCENE IN THE END BY THE LAKE???!!! Come on people.

I agree 100% , not much else i can say than...Shutter Island is in my top ten partly because of him. Also to quote what you said "Strip away all your preconceived notions of the man and watch that movie with an open mind" i guess you can put that to most movies he has been in lately, because for a while i use to think of him as just a pin up poster boy for young girls (and older women?) for a long time (late 90's early 00's) but he has became a great actor and i would gladly watch anything he is in.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
De Niro is "naturalistic" if you consider a "madman" naturalistic. If somebody tries to tell me that Travis or Jake are "naturalistic", I'd say, "Hell yeah, in a zoo!" I'll leave Denzel out of the equation temporarily.

De Niro is "naturalistic" if you consider a "madman" naturalistic. If somebody tries to tell me that Travis or Jake are "naturalistic", I'd say, "Hell yeah, in a zoo!" I'll leave Denzel out of the equation temporarily.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call De Niro a 'natural' actor in the same tradition as Marlon Brando, James Dean and Montgomery Clift, or younger actors like Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Ryan Gosling. Sure, he's a method actor--and a GREAT one at that, but I see his performances as often, NOT ALWAYS, but often, superficial portrayals. Still, Travis Bickle IS a completely natural, realistic performance; I think it's one of the best performances in history.

And Denzel? I think he's one of the last great actors I'd file under 'realistic' or 'natural.' He's undoubtedly awesome, but EVERY one of his performances, from Glory to Training Day, is filled with gravitas and histrionics. It's as if he's always aware of the presence of the camera. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, he's extremely photogenic and steals every scene he's in. But his performances are anything but 'natural.'

To be clear, though, I think many of DiCaprio's performances have been pretty superficial as well; it's easy to classify his work in The Departed, for example, as over the top. Throughout the movie, his brooding disposition, the constipated look on his face, etc.. get pretty tired. But imagine the double-life he's leading and how hard it would be to fear exposure at any moment, especially in the presence of a madman like Nicholson's Costello. Look at the fear and tiredness in his eyes. I think THAT's built from the inside. And he does look too boyish to be a serious gangster. But I think that's actually the most important part of his character-he's young, vulnerable, intelligent enough to know how deep in sh*t he's in, and paranoid. He's supposed to be out of his element with Costello's crew.

I don't know, just some thoughts. For the record, though, I can totally see how many just can't mention his name in the same sentence as De Niro.