Favorite war movies

Tools    

Troy and 300

my favourite war films would have to be:
We were soldiers - it was testament to the fighting prowess of the Vietnamese and didnt try to gloss over what they were fighting for...
Tigerland - although "technically" not a war film, its based on the lead up to Vietnam, so i think it deserves a mention
Brotherhood (taegukgi)- this film was really powerful

Some mentioned Battleground a facinating movie that looks at the privations that men are willing to put up with in wartime. It stands up well against Band of Brothers in a smaller scale.

Now that I think on it Northwest Passage is very similar in vein.

In my opinion Mallick butchered The Thin Red Line, there are only so many scenes of cameras staring into the sky that one can put up with. Very much the auteur being full of himself.

Zulu was already mentioned was it not?

I like Sahara, Black Hawk Down and Wind Talkers

I like war movies based on the Gulf war like Jarhead,Three Kings.One of my favorite is Black Hawk Down(and I know it's in Somalia).As for WWII I'll go with Saving Private Ryan and Enemy at the Gates,I have The Thin Red Line on DVD for like 5 months and still haven't watched it and I hear only good reviews about that movie.For massive ancient battles I prefer Brave Heart,681 AD:The Glory of Khan(1981)<--great movie by the way

Movie Forums Extra
WW2:
Das Boot (a.k.a U-96)
Der Untergang (a.k.a Downfall)
Saving Private Ryan
Talvisota (a.k.a The Winter War)

Vietnam:
Apocalypse. Now
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Platoon

Op: Desert Storm:
Bravo Two Zero
Three Kings

Others:
Braveheart
Starship Troopers

Apocalypse Now (1979)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
From Here to Eternity (1953)

See the trailer here:

good day everyone!!!.. I'm new in this forum.. my favorite war movies is We Were Soldier..

"I can't promise you that I will bring you all home alive, but this I swear..I will be the first one to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off. And I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we all come home together." line by Lieutenant Colonel Hal Moore (Mel Gibson)..
It is really an unforgettable movie for me..........

A system of cells interlinked
Hello and Welcome

good day everyone!!!.. I'm new in this forum.. my favorite war movies is We Were Soldier..

"I can't promise you that I will bring you all home alive, but this I swear..I will be the first one to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off. And I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we all come home together." line by Lieutenant Colonel Hal Moore (Mel Gibson)..
It is really an unforgettable movie for me..........
I'm pretty new too, but welcome.

crazed out movie freak
The Patriot was pretty awesome.

In talking about my favorite war movies, I think I will start in the colonization period up to the current date. Here is the list,

Colonization Period (Pre 1900s)
- Braveheart
- Last of the Mohicans
- The Alamo

World War I
- I never though of any here

World War II
- Flags of our Fathers
- Thin Red Line
- Saving Private Ryan

Vietnam War
- We Were Soldiers
- Windtalkers
- Platoon

Cold War
- Jar Head
- Operation Desert Storm

War on Terror
- 9/11
- American Soldiers: A Day in Iraq

Apocalypse Now (1979)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
From Here to Eternity (1953)
I second this list, specially with Terrance Malick's The Thin Red Line on it. Not one for war films, but that film is probably the best war film I have ever seen.

Some people might say it's debateble as to whether or not The Deer Hunter should be considered a 'war movie', but there a war scenes depicted in it so i'll give it a pass.

I would add David O'Russell's Three Kings to that list, though. I could watch that film everyday. The social commentary mixed with humour in that film raises above other 'gritty' war films, putting a fresh spin on the sub-genre. So yeah, absolutely loved that one.

Apocalypse Now blew me away the first time I saw it.

Apocolypse now was a great movie! One of my favorite movies though was Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman...Ring a bell for anyone

300 was incredible....especially in iMAX