Forgotten Gems (A place to share movies lost in the mists of time)

→ in
Tools    

yeah, like, "If Looks Could Kill" with Richard Greico's corny acting... classic LOL.

Equilibrium with Christian Bale

It could have been seen as a Matrix knockoff but IMO, it stood on it's own.

Gargoyles 1972

This one scared the pants off of me and also made me a horror movie addict. I'm sure no one has seen it... have they?

Just found out I can order it on DVD

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Holden Pike On what planet is ANGEL HEART some forgotten, unkown movie?
Did you intend to give me negative rep instead of the positive you gave me?

Originally Posted by Loner
Did you intend to give me negative rep instead of the positive you gave me?
No, but I can remedy that if you'd like.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Gargoyles 1972
This one scared the pants off of me and also made me a horror movie addict. I'm sure no one has seen it... have they?
Yeah, a couple of times. Liked it a lot. Cornel Wilde was a perfect fit for that movie. It was different, I can't recall anything quite like it.

Maybe a good candidate for a remake. But not with Tom Cruise.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Welcome to the human race...
FRIDAY
(F. Gary Gray, 1995)

If you mixed Do the Right Thing with Clerks, you'd get Friday. Hilarious movie that proved Ice Cube could do some half-decent acting and proved again that Chris Tucker is f*ckin funny.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
S.F.W. one of my favourite of the 1990's "slacker" genre films. so nihilistic, and it has a very young Reese Witherspoon in it!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Wheely cool bike girl
I re-watched Jane Eyre with Orson Wells and Joan Fontane. Really Dickensian.

Has anyone ever seen Wide Sargasso Sea? It was supposed to be the Pre-Story of Edward Rochester's 'dark secret'. Steamy and sensual.

I recently watched Psycho II, the color sequel to Hitchcock's b/w suspense masterpiece Psycho. It's actually pretty good. I had seen Psycho III a couple of years ago, but only recently saw 2. Anthony Perkins does a pretty good job in all 3 movies as the psychotic Norman Bates. I recommend them all!

I am half agony, half hope.
Enchanted April. Lovely film.

Johann von Goethe

The Professionals (d. Richard Brooks - 1966)

Any self-respecting fan of the western needs to see this one.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
A Thousand Clowns

Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind Great biopic about Chuck Barris with an amazing performance by the fantastic Sam Rockwell. More people should give this one a look.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Gargh! I come into this thread expecting great lost gems and obscurities and I find people babbling about Annie Hall, Rebecca and Sunrise! Just because your friends and family haven't seen or heard of them doesn't make them "forgotten". This is a forum for movie fans, we all know and love them. Most friends are useless when it comes to movies unless they are as obsessed as you are; most of mine haven't even heard of Taxi Driver!

Anyway, my choice is...

Jack Hill's Spider Baby, aka The Maddest Story Ever Told. One of Joe Dante's favourite films, it teels the story of an inbred family with a disease that causes them to mentally regress from the age of 10 or so on as they physically develop. Features a man-child and, I think, some caniibalism, but I can't remember since I've not seen it in a while...

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

Darren Aronofsky's second (non student) film is not so much a forgotten gem but for many a undiscovered gem. Ellen Burstyn is amazing. Leto and Conelly are perfect as the young couple who tragically throw their lives away. Seeing this film furthered my admiration for Leto who i think is an underrated and underused actor in a time where the business needs fresh faces and fresh talent.

I don't want to spoil the film so that's all i'll say but its definately a beautiful and high impact film.

thunder alley 1985