Best Alfred Hitchcock Film

Tools    

Vertigo, hands down. For me anyway.

Lets put a smile on that block
Even though your username is Norman Bates...interesting.

Psycho gets my vote and there are tons of subtleties going on in it, like Marion Crane, cranes being birds. Birds were Normans favorite subject for taxidermy. I was also intrigued by the sheer number of shots with mirrors in them, go back and watch for them

What an agreeable topic.

I'm horribly torn between Shadow of a Doubt, North By Northwest, and Rebecca

edit: Two more I feel that I can't live without: Spellbound and Foreign Correspondent

I wipe my ass with your feelings
People actually thought the shower scene was that brutual? I sat through it and watched it. That movie wasn't nearly as good as Rear Window

Rear Window > Psycho > Others
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Well, you kind of have to keep in mind that no one else had showed something like that at the time. I heard Suzanne Pleshette tell of seeing the premier with "Hitch" and the gang, and that no one knew where to look after they walked out of that film. They all thought their friend was nutty. These days, we see someone hacked to bits and think "nice tone in the blood". In historical perspective though... pretty shocking stuff.

Tom Waits is the true GOD
Did Hitchcock ever make a bad film? My faves:

Strangers on a train
Rope
North By Northwest
Rebecca
Psycho (why the HELL did they remake it?)
Vertigo (my personal favorite)

Originally Posted by eyeballkid
Did Hitchcock ever make a bad film?
Sure.

From his Hollywood career, Under Capricorn, The Paradine Case, Stage Fright and Topaz are all pretty lackluster to just plain dull. A whole host of others aren't anywhere near the level of his best pictures (I Confess, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Torn Curtain, Marnie, etc.). Yes, by in large Hitchcock made many more good and great pictures than lousy ones, but he certainly had his share of stinkers.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I would have to say, Dial M for Murder and North By Northwest.

i think all of them are good

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
Yes................. but which one do you think is his best.
Y'knowww, that one where he has a cameo...

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I love " North by Northwest"-such a simple idea that in the hands of another director would have probably sucked! "Rope" and "Psycho" are brilliant too.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Can we try with real bullets now?
I've loved every Hitchcock movie I've seen, but Notorious was my favorite. Awesome performances from Cary Grant, Ingrid Berman, and Claude Rains. And of course the directing was amazing Script wasn't half bad either

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I would have to pick Vertigo, a simply amazing film.

Psycho would be a close second though.

Originally Posted by Misirlou
I've loved every Hitchcock movie I've seen, but Notorious was my favorite. Awesome performances from Cary Grant, Ingrid Berman, and Claude Rains. And of course the directing was amazing Script wasn't half bad either
I really like that one also.

Half man, half machine
I’m sort of torn on this. My pick for Hitchcock’s best film switches from Notorious, Vertigo, and Straners on a Train daily.

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert