Which Movies Are You Going to See This Summer?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
You should just go to that bridge everybody is jumping off first, save yourself the $8.50.

batman begins, and lords of dogtown

The movies I'm defintely seeing this summer are Episode III, Unleashed, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Longest Yard, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Four.

I'm actually really looking forward to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I really liked those books and I just watched the trailer and it doesn't look bad. I hope they don't mess it up!

I saw Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy... I was disappointed.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by alittlepixie
I'm actually really looking forward to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I really liked those books and I just watched the trailer and it doesn't look bad. I hope they don't mess it up!
Oddly, a friend and I got advance tickets to this and we'll be seeing it on Tuesday. We're both in our 40s and have teen daughters, so we'll see how well we enjoy it without the girls along! I haven't read the books, but I'll try to report on the movie fairly anyway.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Austruck
Oddly, a friend and I got advance tickets to this and we'll be seeing it on Tuesday. We're both in our 40s and have teen daughters, so we'll see how well we enjoy it without the girls along! I haven't read the books, but I'll try to report on the movie fairly anyway.
I can't wait to read what you think of it Linda. The previews for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants look good and its one I was thinking of taking my daughter to.

I am anxious to see what Tim Burton does with Charlie and the Chocoloate Factory ... should be very interesting.

Also on my list:
War of the Worlds
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Madagascar
Chronicles of Narnia
Cinderella Man
Batman Begins
Bewitched
Wedding Crashers
Dukes of Hazard

And good golly Miss Molly, also screening at Cannes is Jim Jarmusch's latest, finally titled Broken Flowers. Jarmusch and Bill Murray...come on! A road movie and a comedy, Murray stars as a man who learns he may or may not have fathered a son years ago, so he hits the road with a neighbor (the great Jeffrey Wright) to visit past lovers and try and figure out the truth. Some of those lovers include Jessica Lange, Frances Conroy, Tilda Swinton and Sharon Stone. Julie Delpy is also in the cast. Tenatively scheduled for an August release, we'll see if that holds up.

Yes, Broken Flowers will indeed be getting an August release in The States. Can't hardly wait. Click HERE to see the trailer.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Must acquire screening pass...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A system of cells interlinked
A bit off-topic here, but what are your thoughts on Ghost Dog, Holden? I like the Jarmusch film that I have seen (Dead Man), and I have seen it many times, but haven't been exposed to much of his other work....

Didn't ask me...

...but I like it more than Dead Man and Coffee and Cigarettes.

Do you know my poetry?
I haven't seen Ghost Dog yet, but as far as Jarmusch films go, Down by Law, Dead Man, and Stranger than Paradise are his best films by far, great films. As for Broken Flowers, it'll be my first Jarmusch experience in the theatre, so that will be quite exciting.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
I haven't seen Ghost Dog yet, but as far as Jarmusch films go, Down by Law, Dead Man, and Stranger than Paradise are his best films by far, great films.
I wouldn't say that. I love all Jarmusch's stuff, rabidly. But I think if pressed I'd say Dead Man is his all-around best film.

But you can't really go wrong with any of them. Jarmusch is a filmmaker people either absolutely adore or can't stand for more than ten minutes. Any movie will do nicely as an introduction, but I think Ghost Dog and Dead Man are both especially good starting places because their genre frames, such as they are, and the star power of Depp and Whitaker, help ease a viewer unaccustomed to the Jarmuschian rhythms into his distinct style of storytelling.

But as I say, I love 'em all.

Do you know my poetry?
I wouldn't say that. I love all Jarmusch's stuff, rabidly.
Well, yeah, all of Jarmusch's stuff is fantastic, but those three especially are wonderful and should be seen by people who want to see more Jarmusch, immediately.
But I think if pressed I'd say Dead Man is his all-around best film.
A close one for me, but I'd say I prefered Dead Man just a tad bit more than Down by Law.

I haven't seen Stranger than Paradise or Down by the Law yet.

Goody...a couple of 'new' good flicks to see.

As far as Dead Man goes...I like the film, like Depp, like damn near everything about it...'cept that crazy guitar, man. Ugh, that drove me up the wall sometimes...and I love Niel Young! But that wasn't music, that was just plain old strummin'...loud and obnoxious strumming.

Talk about either loving or hating...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I haven't seen Stranger than Paradise or Down by the Law yet
Down By Law was the first Jarmusch film I ever watched, and it's a good 10 years since I've seen it.

hmmm added to my rental list.