Actors Who You Don't Like On-Screen Despite Talent

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Liv Ullman. She's in so many of Bergman's movies, and he's made many great movies, thus, great character, writing, etc., she's had every opportunity to succeed. I always get a cold feeling from her, even when she celebrates. She always seems dour to me. Even in this American movie with Gene Hackman ("Zandy's Bride" - highly recommend), it's the same thing.

I guess my criticism of her is that she isn't well-rounded, because she always seems to play the same character, which isn't always a problem... For 95% of Jack Nicholson's movies, he plays himself, and it works great.

While I actually don't mind Tom Cruise in useless shit movies like Jerry Maguire or A Few Good Men, when a movie is actually good, I find him distracting and embarrassing. Not that he's horrendously bad. He's obviously a big movie star for a reason and has charm to boot. But I find looking at his face a chore, especially if I'm supposed to be having legitimate emotions regarding his performance. I can't take him seriously as being an actual person.

This is a bit obscure but... Rosalind Russell. It's really just her voice - in her latter career she just had the husky rasp of a chain smoker that always kind of turned me off.

Liv Ullman. She's in so many of Bergman's movies, and he's made many great movies, thus, great character, writing, etc., she's had every opportunity to succeed. I always get a cold feeling from her, even when she celebrates. She always seems dour to me. Even in this American movie with Gene Hackman ("Zandy's Bride" - highly recommend), it's the same thing.

I guess my criticism of her is that she isn't well-rounded, because she always seems to play the same character, which isn't always a problem... For 95% of Jack Nicholson's movies, he plays himself, and it works great.
When I seen Liv Ulman mentioned, the first movie that came to my mind was Zandy's Bride...good film. I don't really have an opinion of her as I haven't seen her in much but she is reserved in her acting/screen presences so I could see her being described as cold.

Katherine Hepburn, just don't enjoy watching her.
I've never been a fan of hers despite the fact that she was a very good actress. Of all the classic era Hollywood actress she's one that just doesn't do much for me.

While I actually don't mind Tom Cruise in useless shit movies like Jerry Maguire or A Few Good Men, when a movie is actually good, I find him distracting and embarrassing. Not that he's horrendously bad. He's obviously a big movie star for a reason and has charm to boot. But I find looking at his face a chore, especially if I'm supposed to be having legitimate emotions regarding his performance. I can't take him seriously as being an actual person.
I haven't seen any of Cruise's latest movies but I generally like him as I feel I can relate to him (in some ways, but not jumping up and down on couches).

This is a bit obscure but... Rosalind Russell. It's really just her voice - in her latter career she just had the husky rasp of a chain smoker that always kind of turned me off.
Now Rosalind Russell is one that I liked but I could see her not working for everyone. I mostly know of her work from her earlier days.

Some obscure oldies below. But hey I've been watching the original Fantasy Island so I've recently seen these actors/actress and I don't care for them onscreen:

Ken Berry
...Sure I liked him as a kid in F Troop but man is he boring or what. I'm not even sure why he was an actor.

Arte Johnson
...Same story I liked him as a kid on Laugh-In but he was just annoying most other times.

Don Adams
...Ugh always plays the dumb guy even when I seen him on an old All Star Family Feud he was still dense as a door knob.

Judy Landers...I'm just not into her deer-caught-in-the-headlights looks and on screen persona. Not a big fan of her sister either, Audrey Landers.

Jayne Meadows Allen
, sure she was great in the 1950s but 30 years years later and she's sporting clown make up and channeling Joan Crawford.

Loni Anderson, not much of an actress and owes her fame to Dolly Parton's wig.

Shia

Some obscure oldies below. But hey I've been watching the original Fantasy Island so I've recently seen these actors/actress and I don't care for them onscreen:

Ken Berry
...Sure I liked him as a kid in F Troop but man is he boring or what. I'm not even sure why he was an actor.

Arte Johnson
...Same story I liked him as a kid on Laugh-In but he was just annoying most other times.

Don Adams
...Ugh always plays the dumb guy even when I seen him on an old All Star Family Feud he was still dense as a door knob.

Judy Landers...I'm just not into her deer-caught-in-the-headlights looks and on screen persona. Not a big fan of her sister either, Audrey Landers.

Jayne Meadows Allen
, sure she was great in the 1950s but 30 years years later and she's sporting clown make up and channeling Joan Crawford.

Loni Anderson, not much of an actress and owes her fame to Dolly Parton's wig.
If I may...

Ken Berry - he was actually a dancer who tried acting & comedy too (like so many others) and he made plenty of appearances on Carol Burnett! If anyone's good enough for Carol, they're good enough for me.

Arte Johnson - I get it. (Aside from a couple obscure appearances on Alfred Hitchcock & the Twilight Zone) I really only know him for one thing, or more accurately, one line... which is veddy interestink. Seriously, I don't think I ever saw him do a stand-up routine.

Don Addams - turns out; his entire career was doing a William Powell impression!

The Landers sisters - just 80's eye-candy (wasn't one of them on Battlestar Galactica and another on Buck Rogers? Or was it the other way around?) Special kudos if anyone can give their combined appearances on the Love Boat!

Jayne Meadows Allen - yes, getting old is sad. As a Honeymooners fan, I liked her sister!

Loni Anderson - yes, owes her fame to a wig... among a couple other things.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Matt Damon. I think he's a punk, but a fair actor. Liked him in the "Bourne" series of films.

I thought the writing was pretty good in "Good Will Hunting" but I guess that was it.. I don't think I've seen anything else that was good with him in it. I remember seeing one movie at a drive-in (Elysium).. The first 5 minutes were good, then it was awful. But I don't think he was the reason.

I thought the writing was pretty good in "Good Will Hunting" but I guess that was it.. I don't think I've seen anything else that was good with him in it. I remember seeing one movie at a drive-in (Elysium).. The first 5 minutes were good, then it was awful. But I don't think he was the reason.
I liked the actor who played the old man that Matt Damon turned into in Saving Private Ryan (he made me cry).

Matt Damon. I think he's a punk, but a fair actor. Liked him in the "Bourne" series of films.
I love your honesty, Doc! I'm pretty much of the same opinion with Damon. I liked the "Bourne" films quite a bit but I don't care for any "meaningful" film he does, except for Good Will Hunting.

But my pick right now is Damon's buddy, Ben Affleck. I've liked quite a few of his movies but I just really don't like the guy's personality in real life, or as real as you see in interviews and talk shows. I know the guy has struggled with alcoholism for a good chunk of his life, but still, he just gives off an air of "I'm above you" to me.

I also have to confess something. Part of my dislike for him stems from the fact that he married Jennifer Garner (whom I love) and filled her with his filthy seed. I don't blame the poor spawn that eminated from Garner's womb, but if I ever see them, I'll think, "They're part Affleck!"

Still, I really like a lot of his films. The Accountant is one that pops to mind where I thought he really did a great acting job. Plus the action was super. So, there's that.

I love your honesty, Doc! I'm pretty much of the same opinion with Damon. I liked the "Bourne" films quite a bit but I don't care for any "meaningful" film he does, except for Good Will Hunting.

But my pick right now is Damon's buddy, Ben Affleck. I've liked quite a few of his movies but I just really don't like the guy's personality in real life, or as real as you see in interviews and talk shows. I know the guy has struggled with alcoholism for a good chunk of his life, but still, he just gives off an air of "I'm above you" to me.

I also have to confess something. Part of my dislike for him stems from the fact that he married Jennifer Garner (whom I love) and filled her with his filthy seed. I don't blame the poor spawn that eminated from Garner's womb, but if I ever see them, I'll think, "They're part Affleck!"

Still, I really like a lot of his films. The Accountant is one that pops to mind where I thought he really did a great acting job. Plus the action was super. So, there's that.
Ha! That's funny: "his filthy seed"... I agree with your comments. And Affleck has had some good roles, but IMO he's good only in limited parts. Otherwise he seems ineffective or even untalented. Still, the guy has done pretty well for himself...

I don't hate them, but count me as another un-fan of Matt Damon & Ben Affleck...And throw in Mark Wahlberg for good measure! Though I do like Casey Affleck. Oh and I still don't like Sandra Bullock

I don't hate them, but count me as another un-fan of Matt Damon & Ben Affleck...And throw in Mark Wahlberg for good measure! Though I do like Casey Affleck. Oh and I still don't like Sandra Bullock
Well, I sure like her better than Sandra Bernhard!...