What is the most boring movie ever made?

Tools    

It's too easy to pick a movie that was on Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I'm going with Track of the Moon Beast. As good as the riffing and the "California Lady" song is, I can't get to the finish line. The sensation of watching it is like hanging out in a closed, empty, yellow-walled Woolworth's store.

I mean, you know it's dull if the actors sigh while delivering their lines:

Yes, I'm quite tall. You actually are supposed to use 'tall' instead of 'high' for people, though. A mountain can be high. But a person is tall.

People sure can't take a joke these days...
I like you.

If it's not 2001 or Man with a Movie Camera, then I don't think I've seen it. Which is possible as, for the most part, I avoid watching films I think will be boring because, well, we only have so much time, don't we?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Michael Haneke has a film called Benny's Video that I both enjoy and recognize as exceptionally boring to watch. He tries to, more or less, take the piss out of the glamorization and romanticism of murder (he does this, to some extent, with Funny Games) in cinema. Unlike Funny Games, this one's a real slog (granted, it's been awhile since I've seen it).

Michael Haneke has a film called Benny's Video that I both enjoy and recognize as exceptionally boring to watch. He tries to, more or less, take the piss out of the glamorization and romanticism of murder (he does this, to some extent, with Funny Games) in cinema. Unlike Funny Games, this one's a real slog (granted, it's been awhile since I've seen it).
Benny's video is awesome. Not boring in the slightest in my humble opinion. Haneke's films are fascinating. The opposite of boring.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Benny's video is awesome. Not boring in the slightest in my humble opinion. Haneke's films are fascinating. The opposite of boring.
I stand by what I said, but I respect your opinion.

Like I also said though, I enjoyed it in a, "that's a unique way of showing that", like I said. And I would recommend it under that guise alone, not as a particularly engaging or entertaining film altogether, however. Fascinating idea. Faithful execution. Page-turner, it was not.

I plainly enjoyed Funny Games altogether though.

I stand by what I said. Like I also said though, I enjoyed it in a, "that's a unique way of showing that". And I would recommend it under that guise alone, not as a particularly engaging or entertaining film, however. I plainly enjoyed Funny Games altogether though.
Haneke's cinema is not supposed to be there for entertainment purposes. The Seventh Continent is possibly the most bone chilling, disturbing film I've ever seen. But it is so brilliantly constructed that it is impossible to look away. Because it treads where most films don't dare to tread.

I can't think of a living filmmaker, whose films are more the antithesis of boring.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Haneke's cinema is not supposed to be there for entertainment purposes. The Seventh Continent is possibly the most bone chilling, disturbing film I've ever seen. But it is so brilliantly constructed that it is impossible to look away. Because it treads where most films don't dare to tread.

I can't think of a living filmmaker, whose films are more the antithesis of boring.
I appreciate your enthusiasm. I am not certain I appreciate you trying to explain Haneke to me, but I'll chalk that up to your enthusiasm for him and not take it as you talking down to a lowly simpleton.

You're a fan, I respect that. As said, I'm "kind of" a fan too.

I specifically only said that I did not find Benny's Video entertaining, per se. I never said anything about The Seventh Continent, I'm not sure why you brought it up at all. I never spoke badly of his other films. In fact, I specifically mentioned how I liked Funny Games a lot.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I am not certain I appreciate you trying to explain Haneke to me, but I'll chalk that up to your enthusiasm for him and not take it as you talking down to a lowly simpleton.

You're a fan, I respect that. As said, I'm "kind of" a fan too.

Again, to reiterate though, I specifically only said that I did not find Benny's Video entertaining, per se. I never said anything about The Seventh Continent, I'm not sure why you brought it up at all. I never spoke badly of his other films. In fact, I specifically mentioned how I liked Funny Games a lot.
I mentioned The Seventh Continent as I think it is quite similar to Benny's Video in tone. It would make a great double feature, and I get a bee in my bonnet when people mention 'bleak cinema' in a negative manner (not that you did that). Both these Haneke films have their own sort of fascinating take on the worst side of the human condition.

I'm not out to try and change your mind on whether Benny's video is boring, as that is as pointless as it is inappropriate, as it's your opinion. Just that it's not supposed to be entertaining either. I'd say if somebody is entertained by Benny's video (that is they thought it was alot of fun) then I'd possibly think they have a screw loose!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I mentioned The Seventh Continent as I think it is quite similar to Benny's Video in tone. It would make a great double feature, and I get a bee in my bonnet when people mention 'bleak cinema' in a negative manner (not that you did that). Both these Haneke films have their own sort of fascinating take on the worst side of the human condition.

I'm not out to try and change your mind on whether Benny's video is boring, as that is as pointless as it is inappropriate, as it's your opinion. Just that it's not supposed to be entertaining either. I'd say if somebody is entertained by Benny's video (that is they thought it was alot of fun) then I'd possibly think they have a screw loose!
I don't know about that though. I feel like I have been entertained by a lot of films with worse subject matter. The House that Jack Built, for example, is one of my favorite films around and it deals with equally dark subject matter (it does blend elements though, mixing black-comedy and a more grotesque, over-the-top nature to itself).

For what it's worth, I never meant to assert Benny's Video was worthy of the "most boring" accolade - but, rather, it was an off the cuff remark meant to stimulate conversation (which, in turn, it has!). Clearly, there are more boring films. However, I didn't take the assignment as bad films, but, rather, films that aren't incredibly watchable.

I may check out The Seventh Continent. I have been wanting to check out more from him. The main reason I ever checked him out at all is because he walked in "my neck of the woods" with Funny Games (as a major horror fan), but I've always been to circle back and watch more from him beyond that (as someone looking to expand their horizons).

I don't know about that though. I feel like I have been entertained by a lot of films with worse subject matter. The House that Jack Built, for example, is one of my favorite films around and it deals with equally dark subject matter (it does blend elements though, mixing black-comedy and a more grotesque, over-the-top nature to itself).

For what it's worth, I never meant to assert Benny's Video was worthy of the "most boring" accolade - but, rather, it was an off the cuff remark meant to stimulate conversation (which, in turn, it has!). Clearly, there are more boring films. However, I didn't take the assignment as bad films, but, rather, films that aren't incredibly watchable.

I may check out The Seventh Continent. I have been wanting to check out more from him. The main reason I ever checked him out at all is because he walked in "my neck of the woods" with Funny Games (as a major horror fan), but I've always been to circle back and watch more from him beyond that (as someone looking to expand their horizons).
I'd say there's a load more comedic elements to von Trier films than Haneke. Definitely in The House that Jack built which has many surrealist and wtf moments. I can't recall that many elements like that in Haneke films, maybe the breaking of the forth wall wink in Funny Games. Both truly great film-makers.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'd say there's a load more comedic elements to von Trier films than Haneke. Definitely in The House that Jack built which has many surrealist and wtf moments. I can't recall that many elements like that in Haneke films, maybe the breaking of the forth wall wink in Funny Games. Both truly great film-makers.
I have come to love Trier a lot.

Among my favorite parts is how unique a human he is.

There is an interview where he says something like, "All my life, I thought I was a Jew, but it turns out I'm a Nazi." (In context, I believe it had something to do with him finding out he had German ancestry. He said 'Nazi' as a joke.) I remember it because Kirsten Dunst was at the table next to him and had this flushed ("Well, there goes my Award season.) expression on her face.

I have come to love Trier a lot.

Among my favorite parts is how unique a human he is.

There is an interview where he says something like, "All my life, I thought I was a Jew, but it turns out I'm a Nazi." (In context, I believe it had something to do with him finding out he had German ancestry. He said 'Nazi' as a joke.) I remember it because Kirsten Dunst was at the table next to him and had this flushed ("Well, there goes my Award season.) expression on her face.
Yeah the man don't give a ****. Good on him.

Huh?????

Here's a list of the most boring movies:
The Wizard of Oz
Dracula
Breakdown
The Shining
Edge of Tomorrow
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
PlayTime
Zoolander
Starship Troopers
Seven Samurai
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Reservoir Dogs
Harold and Maude
Gloria
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Hereditary
Phantom of the Paradise
The Blair Witch Project
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Evil Dead
Aliens
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
The Terminator
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Come and See
The Night of the Hunter
I Am Cuba
Citizen Kane
2001: A Space Odyssey
Three Colors: Blue
Woman in the Dunes
Seven Samurai
Casablanca
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Pan's Labyrinth
Little Big Man
Dog Day Afternoon
All Quiet on the Western Front
City of God
An American Werewolf in London
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Boyhood
12 Angry Men
Parasite
Stalker
2001: A Space Odyssey
Eraserhead
The Tree of Life
Late Spring
Wavelength
Persona
Vertigo
Double Indemnity

My Dinner With Andre - 1981

I saw it years later, festival stuff, two guys sit and talk for the duration about nothing especially interesting. Then the movie is over.

If you're not familiar, really...it is that, you can stream it on Amazon Prime.

If you go back to the post you quoted and read the rest of the page, you'll get your answer.
I did. It's still a "Huh??? list.

I did. It's still a "Huh??? list.
Read the whole conversation afterwards, dude.