Reign of Fire

→ in
Tools    

Thats right people its finally here, the review of that blasted dragon movie, and yews, its the greatest movie of all time.

London 2084, oh wait i mean 2020, im sorry we forgot to correct that for the previews. Dragons have killed everything and taken over the world, all thats left are a handful of people in a castle outside of london, and the redneck americans. The rednecks from the army have 3 tanks and a helicopter.

FACT : People dont have to eat
FACT : Dragons dont eat people
FACT : Dragons caused the extinction of the dinosaurs
FACT : Dragons slaiva makes two separate chemicals, and when they mix it produces Nitro Nepalm
FACT : helicopters do not need fuel
FACT : time will never stop making magazines, even after human extinction
FACT : dragons have holes in there wings
FACT : tanks do not kill dragons, axes and crossbows are the only things that work.

As you can see this was not only the most belivable movie of all time, it was also true to all of the previews. Do your self a favor, see this movie.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

The Sarcasm Detector is rating off the charts right now...

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

The Sarcasm Detector is rating off the charts right now...
"Oh, that machine is SO useful."

*Sarcasm Detector explodes*

i am serious about the last line, see it, everyone its soooooooooooooooooo funny, and the special effects are good.

i had passes, because my dad runs a newspaper here in Vegas, it sponsors movie premires, because its a huge advertising thing, a lot of people come, papers get passed out, and they win shirts. Thats how i get to see movies early.

Look in your local free alternative weekly newspaper, in the movies section, it will give you a location, usually a car dealership, and you get passes.

Wow, I just about completey disagree with your review, Commishy. I love that you somehow find a piece of crap like Deep Blue Sea to be over-the-top fun and a good popcorn movie which you feel you must defend, but then a cool little sleeper like Reign of Fire comes along and you're disappointed. OK then, you keep Deep Blue Sea, I'll keep Reign of Fire.

And if there was one sequence I thought was dull and could have been excised, it was the skydiving bit. Totally extraneous and the action was poorly choregraphed. The only good thing about that scene for me is Bale saddling up - all great heroes ride horses, I think we all know that (look at the Indiana Jones movies for example: Indy rides a horse in the first and third one, he rides an elephant in the second. Of the three, which is easily the weakest entry of the series, hmmmmm?).

Far from disappointing, I found Reign of Fire to be much, much better than I expected (as I was expecting next to nothing), and a fun little ride. Overall a plesant surprise, really. Compared to fairly recent entries in the dragon subgenre, namely Dragonheart and Dungeons & Dragons (both of which are unwatchable), this is practically a masterpiece.

I mean to be clear, this is a stupid mish-mash sci-fi movie of course, but for what it is, I thought it was solid and about as well as you can do it. In movies like this, when one of the few humans left on Earth is a chick who looks like a supermodel and flies helicopters, you either go with it or you walk out of the theater, I expect. I went with it.

Grade: B
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Wow, I just about completey disagree with your review, Commishy.
Am I supposed to find that surprising?

I love that you somehow find a piece of crap like Deep Blue Sea to be over-the-top fun and a good popcorn movie which you feel you must defend, but then a cool little sleeper like Reign of Fire comes along and you're disappointed.
I had much higher hopes for Reign of Fire given extremely positive advance reviews and what seemed to be a killer storyline. It lagged, however, and the ending didn't have me biting my nails the way it ought to have.

See, "over-the-top fun" requires, well, fun. Reign of Fire was not fun. It was not particularly funny (I think I counted two jokes throughout the flick). It was dark. The skydiving scene had me convinced that it WAS going to be a good, fun flick...but it never delivered on the implied promise that scene made.

Deep Blue Sea, on the other hand, was undeniably goofy and never, ever took itself seriously. I find much more sympathy for goofy movies that know they're goofy and don't try to be anything else than I do for flicks that can't seem to make up their damn mind.

OK then, you keep Deep Blue Sea, I'll keep Reign of Fire.
Indeed.

indeed

FACT : People dont have to eat
FACT : Dragons dont eat people
FACT : Dragons caused the extinction of the dinosaurs
FACT : Dragons slaiva makes two separate chemicals, and when they mix it produces Nitro Nepalm
FACT : helicopters do not need fuel
FACT : time will never stop making magazines, even after human extinction
FACT : dragons have holes in there wings
FACT : tanks do not kill dragons, axes and crossbows are the only things that work.
FACT: People do eat
FACT: Dragons hold something in their mouth, breathe on it, turn it to ash, then swallow
FACT: According to the movie dragons did kill the dinosaurs, and thats fine with me. It is an action flick about dragons, they are allowed to twist reality.
FACT: This makes perfect sense, ever hear of epoxy?
FACT: Helicopters that are only flying around lower England do not need fuel. England is not a large place. Considering how the castle also has some electricity I'd guess that they do have fuel somewhere.
FACT:I don't know where this came from, humans were never extinct, there was no date on that last time you saw or anything. It could have been after the destruction of a big city.
FACT: I thought this was cool, it showed how often people fought the male dragon. This is also very typical in fantasy, for an older dragon to have holes in his wings.
FACT: The crossbows were nothing new, you'll remember Rambo using a bow and arrow in much the same fasion.

My take on the movie? Good. It suffered from one thing, lowbugetitis. Fighting scenes cost money, shooting tanks cost money, visible dragons cost money. I went into the movie expecting to see massive battles, atleast some from the destruction of our major cities. I expected to see war. I was let down. The story is all there, they just went cheap on the action.

Originally posted by Yoda

See, "over-the-top fun" requires, well, fun. Reign of Fire was not fun. It was not particularly funny (I think I counted two jokes throughout the flick). It was dark. The skydiving scene had me convinced that it WAS going to be a good, fun flick...but it never delivered on the implied promise that scene made.
I don't think they were aiming for "over-the-top fun", they simply tried their best to entertain the audience with cool special effects and awesome cinematography (i.e. skydiving scene). The story was on the dark and serious side which I liked...I didn't want to see another Godzilla. Overall, it was entertaining and much better than some of the other campy movies (MIB II) making money right now.

Yes, that's my point. Holden doesn't see how I can "somehow find a piece of crap like Deep Blue Sea to be over-the-top fun and a good popcorn movie which you feel you must defend, but then a cool little sleeper like Reign of Fire comes along and you're disappointed."

The dinstinction between the two is that DBS knew it wasn't a masterpiece, never tried to be, and was all about casual fun. ROF on the other hand was DEAD serious. I'm wasn't claiming that a movie has to be fun to be good...I was just responding to Holdsie's statement of disbelief.

I really wanted to see this movie. When it ended I was asking myself. thats it? There should have been more action sequences. It was ok.. personally I like Dragonheart. That was a great movie, even if it is a little kiddish or goofy. Mostly Reign of Fire was talking, sure there was action but they could have had more dragons. Im a big dragon fan. This I was bummed out about. At least it kept me entertained for a couple of hours.. I enjoyed Spiderman better and I had to be dragged to see that movie.

I guess i was just expecting more.

Gonna necro this thread.

Movie is underrated. I agree mostly with Yoda's review here: http://www.movieforums.com/reviews/reign_of_fire.html
The movie had some GREAT scenes. The transitioning was awful, especially the turn from mid to conclusion. too bad, quality of the scenes and acting make the its flaws even more apparent.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
A modernization of the dragon and knights story. Re-entering a dark ages after civilization's collapse. Summing up the fear in their lives with the preying. The collapse of society and power of Star Wars retelling. The conflict within the community over the harvest. The sky diving scene was clever, thrilling, and way too short.

Good. It suffered from one thing, lowbugetitis.
totally agree here. Surprisingly they did a great job cging the dragons, especially considering how old the movie is. Movie had a great grey smokey atmospheric quality.

It was a pretty cool but flawed action flick. Definitely could've been done better but I think most of what's there is interesting and exciting enough to be worth a watch.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!