An "all right" Matthew McConaughney Discussion Thread

Tools    

The truth is in here
Once ridiculed for his poor choices of roles (often starring in one samey-looking romcom after the other), Matthew McConaughney has really come into his own in the 2010's. Not everything he's in gets praised, but his performance is rarely cited as the reason a movie is bad.

I haven't actually seen him in that much, but I know that most of my experience with him has been positive. He does a phenomenal job in True Detective. The chemistry between him and Woody Harrelson is some of the strongest I've seen in a TV show. His performance is very methodical, giving you time to think about what his words and facial expressions really mean. He gives you a key to his character's brain, but you're going to have to figure out for yourself how to unlock it.

I also loved his role as sheriff Danny Buck in the pitch-black comedy Bernie.

I also want to raise the question however: Are there any early examples of McConaughney's talent that I've missed out on? (Dazed And Confused aside, I like him in that too) You usually don't become great out of nowhere, so I'd love to have an earlier movie of his recommended.