Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Tragedy Girls
- Millennial horror about death obsessed kids that will literally kill you to get a like or a follow on social media. Not as clever as it thinks it is, but a decent take on the slasher genre.

Dr. Giggles
- Unintentionally funny, this could have been a sick and twisted horror film, but the 90's cheese and camp distract. Throw in a boring final girl and this film disappoints.

House on Haunted Hill (1959)
- It had good intentions but the awkward pacing of the film and lack of scares make it a little disappointing.

Those were the commercial breaks Castle inserted in the film. You could call it the first made for TV movie.

Both excellent movies.

Prometheus -

thinking about how this now plays like the Force Awakens to Covenant's Last Jedi
Did either of those Star Wars films give the fans/audience what they wanted? I think of Covenant as being designed to appease fans after the perceived failure of Prometheus (which I think is superior).

Fassbender on Fassbender goes a long way.
Actually you've just reminded me that Covenant was not the first time he "doubled up". I won't spoil it though .

This might just do nobody any good.
I’m sure the comment is also aware that’s it’s a bit more apples and oranges than it makes it seem but I thought it’d be the other way around, with Prometheus being closer to Last Jedi in the sense that it’s an attempt to expand a mythology and reclaim the grandeur of a franchise that had, for a lot of fans, become stilted. We’ve, of course, been made aware that the results in both cases have been divisive (though I do think Last Jedi, stumbling as it may, succeeds in more ways than Prometheus did) but, again, the general ambition is the same and I think they both also share success in the new, central characters - David is great, as are Kylo Ren and Rey.

Force Awakens works like Covenant in giving a taste of the familiar for slightly different reasons but both do attempt to regain good-will with audiences, following the prequels and Prometheus. Force Awakens also needed to introduce major elements to a new generation of viewers because, well, Disney mandated it.

Snooze factor rating = Z

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Psycho 2 (1983)

Wouldn’t say it needed to be made. Of course very hard to compete with the Hitchcock classic. Nevertheless if you have an interest in the source it’s an ok addition.

Perkins returns and is believable as a more sympathetic psycho. It’s a whodunnit with Some twists and turns but with more character development re Norman.

The death effects hold up in my opinion very decent face stab moments. I don’t think I have seen faces stabbed as much this and done so well.

3 out of 5

Welcome to the human race...
Did either of those Star Wars films give the fans/audience what they wanted? I think of Covenant as being designed to appease fans after the perceived failure of Prometheus (which I think is superior).
I would've said that Covenant starts off like a "return to form" during its first 40 minutes or so before doubling down hard on all the stuff that made Prometheus so divisive, especially when it came to not only giving the Xenomorph a backstory but giving it this particular backstory.

I’m sure the comment is also aware that’s it’s a bit more apples and oranges than it makes it seem but I thought it’d be the other way around, with Prometheus being closer to Last Jedi in the sense that it’s an attempt to expand a mythology and reclaim the grandeur of a franchise that had, for a lot of fans, become stilted. We’ve, of course, been made aware that the results in both cases have been divisive (though I do think Last Jedi, stumbling as it may, succeeds in more ways than Prometheus did) but, again, the general ambition is the same and I think they both also share success in the new, central characters - David is great, as are Kylo Ren and Rey.

Force Awakens works like Covenant in giving a taste of the familiar for slightly different reasons but both do attempt to regain good-will with audiences, following the prequels and Prometheus. Force Awakens also needed to introduce major elements to a new generation of viewers because, well, Disney mandated it.
My argument was that Prometheus/Force Awakens involved invoking familiar iconography in trying to tell a new story that also promised to be the first chapter in a greater saga (it does end on a bit of a sequel hook after all) whereas Covenant/Last Jedi went for more directly subversive deconstruction that took the supposedly fan-pleasing elements (Xenomorphs/Luke Skywalker) and gave them their own divisive development that annoyed fans that would have been too hard to please anyway.

Last movie watched...

The Brood -

an MRA's favourite horror movie

Utøya 22. juli (the Norwegian film)

I heard that the reason and justification behind this being made was to shine more light on the brave young people who witnessed, were injuried or died during this tragedy. Alas, I still don’t know if this is a film that needed to be made. Rather a Norwegian filmmaker though than anybody else and rather with that angle than anything else. But still... this is a gut wrenching, soul crushing film I have no desire of ever watching again. It was extremely well made. Sometimes too well made. But it’s unsettling beyond compare...

I’m not Norwegian, but I am Scandinavian. This is still close to home. It shook me. It really did.

*no rating*

Prayers to everyone involved in this tragedy

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
First Man (2018)

Director: Damien Chazelle

Damien Chazelle has been one of the most captivating directors in recent years. His debut film, Whiplash is one of my favorite films of recent years, and his follow-up, La La Land is straight up one of my favorite films of all time. He is three for three now with this new captivating and informative ride, First Man. The most resonant aspect about this particular outing is the combination of scientific and informative storytelling, and a very centered human story. This film moves back and forth between Armstrong's literal struggle with the complexities of NASA's inner workings and space tests and his struggles with his family life and failed attempt to live the American dream.

I loved seeing what was going on behind-the-scenes of the space race and the film was very entertaining in that aspect. Ryan Gosling's performance as Armstrong wasn't particularly vivacious, there was a lot of life drawn out from him and it can be a problem for many to find a connection with this character, but it worked very well for me because all that weight on his shoulders from many different sources are conveyed so well that I automatically felt sympathy for him. There are some extremely well shot sequences of tension particularly surrounding the shuttle tests and things of that sort, I was on edge in many of those key moments. The movie is perfectly paced, it was never too slow or too fast, that juxtaposition between Armstrong's professional life bleeding into his personal one was so well-realized, Chazelle just earns the viewers complete attention. And finally, the cinematography and production design was nothing short of immaculate, that moon landing scene will be one of the best things you'll ever see on screen in 2018.

SCORE - 88/100

Halloween (2018)

I'm not a huge fan of the series overall, but they are usually enjoyable at face value. You won't find incredibly new substance in this entry, but it doesn't do anything poorly. The pace was good, and the tone was tense even during some of the more laughable moments.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
First Man (2018)

Director: Damien Chazelle

Damien Chazelle has been one of the most captivating directors in recent years. His debut film, Whiplash is one of my favorite films of recent years, and his follow-up, La La Land is straight up one of my favorite films of all time. He is three for three now with this new captivating and informative ride, First Man. The most resonant aspect about this particular outing is the combination of scientific and informative storytelling, and a very centered human story. This film moves back and forth between Armstrong's literal struggle with the complexities of NASA's inner workings and space tests and his struggles with his family life and failed attempt to live the American dream.

I loved seeing what was going on behind-the-scenes of the space race and the film was very entertaining in that aspect. Ryan Gosling's performance as Armstrong wasn't particularly vivacious, there was a lot of life drawn out from him and it can be a problem for many to find a connection with this character, but it worked very well for me because all that weight on his shoulders from many different sources are conveyed so well that I automatically felt sympathy for him. There are some extremely well shot sequences of tension particularly surrounding the shuttle tests and things of that sort, I was on edge in many of those key moments. The movie is perfectly paced, it was never too slow or too fast, that juxtaposition between Armstrong's professional life bleeding into his personal one was so well-realized, Chazelle just earns the viewers complete attention. And finally, the cinematography and production design was nothing short of immaculate, that moon landing scene will be one of the best things you'll ever see on screen in 2018.

SCORE - 88/100

I've noticed a lot of reviews saying that Gosling's stoic or lackluster performance is a shortcoming of this movie. All reports on Armstrong indicate that he was this type of man. Literally the archetype of what you want in a person that could deal with being flung into space in a severely under-engineered bucket of bolts knowing you have a 50/50 chance of dying and still maintaining a level of calm that allows you to operate.

Always enjoy your write-ups Luis.

Kingsman; The Golden Circle (2017)

Le monte-charge (1962, Marcel Bluwal)

Excellent French noir with some neat twists and the beautiful Lea Massari as the femme-fatale.

I had been wanting to see this for awhile. Usually hyped horror movies don't live up to the hype, in my opinion, but I thought this one did. Might have to bone up on my English a little as I needed subtitles to figure out what the heck was being said most of time.