Anne (2017)

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
'This ain't your grandmother's Anne': new series gives gritty Green Gables amid glut of Anne adaptations

There was great excitement last year when CBC and Netflix announced a collaboration that would bring Vancouver-born Emmy-winner Moira Walley-Beckett — the writer behind some of Breaking Bad's best episodes — back to Canada.

What lured her home was not another boundary-pushing, drug-fuelled drama — but adapting a book that's beloved by pre-teen girls.

"How do you go from a meth lab to Green Gables farm in 1896?" Walley-Beckett asked during a recent interview.

"This ain't your grandmother's Anne. I'm really attracted to human stories and character stories. That's what Breaking Bad was… And that's what Anne is."

"This is a cable, character drama," Walley-Beckett said, akin to shows on channels such as HBO or AMC, rather than mainstream TV networks. "Certainly the issues in the book for Anne — themes of identity, bullying, prejudice — are extremely topical right now."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...bles-1.4028193

I'm not sure if the book enthusiasts and Megan Follows' tv series die hards will be happy with the dark changes and additions to the story. Personally, I've never watched Anne of Green Gables (1985, TV Mini-Series). I'm comparing it to the book.

The budget must have been bolstered by the CBC/Netflix collaboration. It is definitely a quality made tv series with a solid 2 hours, so far, behind my belt. Having a Breaking Bad writer join, is an interesting touch.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	anne-green-gables-netflix-poster.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	29756  

The show still looks uncharacteristically good for something found on CBC. Thank you Netflix.

Amateur hour. CBC messes up ad campaign and show scheduling. To be fair, they're not really used to having a quality show where people actually tune in to watch. First, they said it will be on Sundays in spring 2017. Then they aired the first two hours, only to inform those who tuned in that they have to wait two weeks to continue watching. The next day, they must have had a fair amount of viewers and possibly complaints, because they decided to resume the weekly Sunday schedule. Government funded confusion.

CBC SCHEDULING ALERT: ANNE AND CANADA: THE STORY OF US SCHEDULE CHANGES
Mar 23, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press-...hedule-changes

We asked an Anne of Green Gables superfan to review the first episode of CBC’s new TV series
Anne doesn’t feel particularly close in spirit to Montgomery’s novel, in which Anne is a buoyant Pollyanna, unwilling to condemn those who mistreated her. In that regard, the 1985 series is more successful, with Megan Follows portraying an Anne who seems less affected by her past, having escaped into fantasy and a rich inner life.

Of course, staying faithful to the original is not always the goal of the filmmaker or showrunner. Walley-Beckett has her own gritty vision. We’ll see how Anne adjusts to Green Gables in light of her difficult past—and how far the series continues to stray from the source. I’ll admit I enjoyed the episode more than I expected to—especially the impeccable set design and costumes—but I found myself rolling my eyes at most of the manufactured drama, such as Matthew’s wild horse ride. Maybe as a novelist I should accept that I will probably always be that person droning on in a tiresome way about how the book was better. While I don’t think this series will ever find a place in my heart, Anne may be a compelling vision for the next generation. It almost feels dark enough for our times.
http://torontolife.com/culture/movie...saleema-nawaz/

Anne: Netflix Releases Official Trailer For ‘Anne Of Green Gables’ Series

Anne is a Northwood Entertainment production for CBC and Netflix.

The eight-episode series begins streaming May 12 on Netflix.
http://deadline.com/2017/04/anne-tra...es-1202060940/

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i'm a huuuge fan of the book and the mini series... like, i reread and rewatch both excessively... and i'm super stoked on this show. please please please be good.

i'm a huuuge fan of the book and the mini series... like, i reread and rewatch both excessively... and i'm super stoked on this show. please please please be good.
Quality-wise and acting-wise it's awesome. The rest depends on your interpretation tolerance level. This is a much more feminist and dark past driven version.

sounds good to meeee

i noticed they tried to find a Marilla that looks like Colleen Dewhurst. i hope she has more than that going for her. she's got big shoes to fill.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
We had two Anne shows we had to load out for. This was one of them. The other was called Gables.

Suspect's Reviews

We had two Anne shows we had to load out for. This was one of them. The other was called Gables.
Who is "We", what's "load out for" mean and what year is this "Gables" show? Just curious.

and there's actually a third movie, called "Of Green"

Who is "We", what's "load out for" mean and what year is this "Gables" show? Just curious.
I work for a company that supplies all the film and TV gear for shows/films. We recently did a Matt Damon film called Downsizing, directed by Alexander Payne.

A few other shows we do: Degrassi, Murdock Mysteries, Suits, The Expanse, recent Netflix movie ARQ and their show Hemlock Grove, among others. we recently acquired the new Star Trek show that will be coming out soon.

Two shows we did, Anne and Gables, both centre around Anne of Green Gables. We loaded out their show, meaning they ordered their lights, grip and cable gear from us. I work in the cable department, recently promoted to be the Department Head actually.

I don't know when Gables will air, but they loaded out at the same time.

Side note: I recently went out East, where Anne of Green Gables originated, Prince Edward Island. Saw the house, the inspiration, etc. Apparently Japanese people LOVE, REALLY LOVE, Anne of Green Gables. All the museums to the story had both English and Japanese signs and a bit on why (red hair and the character trait of determination apparently).

I work for a company that supplies all the film and TV gear for shows/films. We recently did a Matt Damon film called Downsizing, directed by Alexander Payne.

A few other shows we do: Degrassi, Murdock Mysteries, Suits, The Expanse, recent Netflix movie ARQ and their show Hemlock Grove, among others. we recently acquired the new Star Trek show that will be coming out soon.

Two shows we did, Anne and Gables, both centre around Anne of Green Gables. We loaded out their show, meaning they ordered their lights, grip and cable gear from us. I work in the cable department, recently promoted to be the Department Head actually.

I don't know when Gables will air, but they loaded out at the same time.

Side note: I recently went out East, where Anne of Green Gables originated, Prince Edward Island. Saw the house, the inspiration, etc. Apparently Japanese people LOVE, REALLY LOVE, Anne of Green Gables. All the museums to the story had both English and Japanese signs and a bit on why (red hair and the character trait of determination apparently).
Glad I asked. I remember you saying something work related about ARQ. Wasn't sure if you had an inside scoop or if you were referring to Canadians (We) dishing out cash (load out for) that second YTV (Gables) trilogy with Sheen.

If there is another "Gables" series in the works, will it be with the same cast as the CBC/Netflix "Anne"?

That YTV Sheen trilogy hasn't really sparked my interest.

Glad I asked. I remember you saying something work related about ARQ. Wasn't sure if you had an inside scoop or if you were referring to Canadians (We) dishing out cash (load out for) that second YTV (Gables) trilogy with Sheen.

If there is another "Gables" series in the works, will it be with the same cast as the CBC/Netflix "Anne"?

That YTV Sheen trilogy hasn't really sparked my interest.
It could very well be that third film. Titles change all the time and a lot of times we get the shooting title. for example, Suicide Squad was known as Bravo13 and Star Trek is Green Harvest.

The Sheen show shot in Toronto, so it is most likely that one.

For anyone following the thread...

YTV to air another two new Anne of Green Gables movies
By The Canadian Press
Mon., Sept. 19, 2016

YTV will air another two new films based on Lucy Maud Montgomery’s classic Anne of Green Gables.

Corus Entertainment announced Monday that Ella Ballentine will return in the starring role of Anne Shirley, as will Martin Sheen, who plays Matthew Cuthbert, and Sara Botsford, who plays his sister Marilla Cuthbert.

Good Stars is expected to air next year and Fire & Dew in 2018.
https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...es-movies.html

What would this show be, without a bit of trivial, modern day manufactured controversy.

Canadians unhappy after Netflix retouches ‘Anne’ poster for American audience
After a Twitter user pointed out the difference, Canadians and Americans alike voiced complaints via social media, saying the alterations were unnecessary and not true to the spirit of the character. There’s been no reply from Netflix as yet.
https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...-audience.html

I didn't pay it any attention. Article claims Canadians noticed and were upset.

These claimants claim that Anne appears to have been digitally altered, that her skin has been altered to look less freckly, that the poster appears to eliminate bags under eyes and alter her signature buck teeth, and that her face appears thinner.

I just want to add, that the opening credits for the show are visually and musically very good. A Tragically Hip song is used.
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/anne-op...-hip-1.4027729

She is a little odd looking, which brings a bit of uniqueness to the character for this show. The American poster tries to make her look "pretty" and a bit older, to me anyway.

As a guy with freckles though...I'M OFFENDED!!!!

I think the warped storyline should be the main focus. The poster changes are insignificant by comparison. I like this sentence...

Anne of Green Gables gets a reboot
I hesitate, if only for civility’s sake, to call Anne a work of vandalism.
https://www.mercatornet.com/popcorn/...a-reboot/19621

Looks like they added a bunch of stuff that's not in the book, the next 44 minute episode will be the finale, while today's episode is close to the midpoint of the book. I don't know if there is going to be another season, or if they'll cram half the book into the finale. I thought this was an 8 episode mini-series. Oh well, I'll find out next week. Netflix can certainly afford to add seasons.

To be continued, maybe, I guess ...???

Overall, I’ve been very impressed with the tone, cinematography and performances, particularly Amybeth McNulty’s take on our flame-haired heroine. But, really, everyone has been stellar and these first eight episodes have merely whet my appetite for more. Alas, nothing has been announced yet and we’ll have to settle for Sunday’s episode for now.
http://www.tv-eh.com/category/anne/

Netflix rebrands Anne TV series as Anne with an 'E'
So long, Anne — hello, Anne with an 'E.'

Netflix is rebranding the latest Anne of Green Gables TV drama, which recently wrapped up airing on CBC-TV.

When the show debuts on the streaming service on May 12 in other countries, it will be called Anne with an 'E,' rather than Anne.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...amed-1.4094423