Dog Star Man's Film Collection

Tools    

I'm going to start off by introducing my Criterions. More to come later I promise you.

I do have a "By Brakhage: An Anthology", (Volume 1), but I rented it out to a family member. I'll post the non-criterions probably later in the morning. Though for now, cheers good mates!
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

This is the (sorted) "Standard Collection":

Then I have my educational documentaries, (copied discs), History, Philosophy and Film:

And then "Films That Can't Quite Fit In The Shelves":

That's all folks! Enjoy, and feel free to make comments!

/bows

I do have a lot of those but needless to say you're better than I.

I found it funny that I have Hard Boiled and you have The Killer, I've never seen anyone with both.
I once tried to buy Hard Boiled, but I was sent an illegit copy and sent it back to the person who tried to pass it off to me. Suffice to say after a little rough talk I got my money back. But thanks for the comment my good chum!

I like how you have the Keaton box set as well as all of Dragonball. A man after my own heart.

I've read the manga of Golden Boy, but I can't say it made me want to check out the anime.

I like how you have the Keaton box set as well as all of Dragonball. A man after my own heart.

I've read the manga of Golden Boy, but I can't say it made me want to check out the anime.
Yeah, "Dragonball" was entertaining at least the first half... then came "Z"... that was also entertaining... but in a very, very, bad way. Notice I also have "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" and "The Legend of Zelda" cartoons. I put those on as precursor to "Bad Movie Nights". It's an endurance test, because it tortures us so. Sometimes we can lampoon it... other times we succumb. My friends and myself are masochists in that regard.

As for the anime to Golden Boy. I would highly recommend it. Especially the English dub. The VO for Kintaro Oe in that version makes that show.

Yeah, DBZ is an endurance test in more ways than one. Entire episodes of "must. do. one. more. push-up." and "only 5 more minutes until the destruction of planet Namek." Still, Can't knock the Ginyu Force or "Mr. Satan"

Very impressive collection. I also like how many silents you have.

Yeah, DBZ is an endurance test in more ways than one. Entire episodes of "must. do. one. more. push-up." and "only 5 more minutes until the destruction of planet Namek." Still, Can't knock the Ginyu Force or "Mr. Satan"

Very impressive collection. I also like how many silents you have.
I clocked the namek disaster. Freeza says "five minutes"... TEN FRIGGEN EPISODES LATER FROM INITIAL COUNTDOWN DOES THAT FRIGGEN THING END. Ridiculous. Anyway, thanks for the input my good man!

Nice! What do you use for storage, and where did you get it? I like it!

All those box sets and you only have a single Eraserhead dvd case UNBELIEVABLE.

Questions:

Do you want more Argento or are you satisfied with Suspiria alone?

Why isn't The Killing with the other Kubricks?

Why don't you have the 1st and 3rd films of the Vengeance trilogy?
Just some standard DVD/CD cases. I found them at Fry's Electronics.
I'm in desperate need of some cases so thanks for a heads up.

All those box sets and you only have a single Eraserhead dvd case UNBELIEVABLE.
I've been meaning to update to the Lynch collection. I know, it's pretty stupid on my behalf.

Do you want more Argento or are you satisfied with Suspiria alone?
Look carefully, grasshopper, and you shall see I have a set of five films by Dario Argento.

Why isn't The Killing with the other Kubricks?
Mostly because it wasn't part of the box set. I have The Departed as the same shin-dig. Two Scorsese box sets with The Departed located elsewhere.

Why don't you have the 1st and 3rd films of the Vengeance trilogy?
I haven't seen the other two yet myself. I'm ashamed to admit. But I do love Oldboy

I'm in desperate need of some cases so thanks for a heads up.
No problemo my cinematic compadre!

I haven't seen the other two yet myself. I'm ashamed to admit. But I do love Oldboy
All 3 are equally mesmerizing, I strongly strongly strongly strongly suggest finding the others, or follow your own suite and get the boxset of all 3 with 5 discs of bonus features

All 3 are equally mesmerizing, I strongly strongly strongly strongly suggest finding the others, or follow your own suite and get the boxset of all 3 with 5 discs of bonus features
That does sound very tempting. I think I'll give them a queue on netflix, then go from there. I'm curious as to your Criterion Collection now?

I almost want to go the route of pictures just because of this...we'll see.

I have a thread of my collection but haven't updated it in a couple months. I can tell you I own a mere 61 criterions, with 374 others on my wishlist (especially By Brakhage now). I'll probably get pics added to my list soon.

I almost want to go the route of pictures just because of this...we'll see.

I have a thread of my collection but haven't updated it in a couple months. I can tell you I own a mere 61 criterions, with 374 others on my wishlist (especially By Brackage now). I'll probably get pics added to my list soon.
Either way you update/show is fine by me.

I have a total of 277 Criterions, 3 (All) of Janus Children's Classics, and 15 Eclipse Series DVD's. But yes, Brakhage is good... very good... great... very great... and watching his films on the Blu-Ray set they have now just makes it so much better. It was my first Criterion Blu-Ray purchase. Have you ever been exposed to Brakhage before? I did a review of his Dog Star Man on my reviews page?

I'll check out the review, no I haven't seen his work. I don't even know when I'll find the time to get around to the Eclipse Series, though Eric Rohmer's box looks wonderful. Never even heard of Children's Classics...where did you get the money for 277 sir???

Also, surprised there's no Cronos, I got mine in the mail yesterday

I'll check out the review, no I haven't seen his work. I don't even know when I'll find the time to get around to the Eclipse Series, though Eric Rohmer's box looks wonderful. Never even heard of Children's Classics...where did you get the money for 277 sir???

Also, surprised there's no Cronos, I got mine in the mail yesterday
Brakhage is an acquired taste forewarned. But yes, the Rohmer set is indeed wonderful. They even include the Moral Tales Book which he himself wrote to go along with it. The Janus Children's Classics were released a few years ago. Films like White Mane, The Red Balloon, and Paddle to the Sea. All great films themselves because if they aren't silent films, they play out like silent films. As for the moo-la question. I've been building my collection for many, many, years. I even have the White-Ring, Nimbus, Salo. All the money I obtain divvies three ways; food, films, film equipment (for my own films). As for Chronos, it's in my sights.

Excellent collection. Am I seeing this right, you have three versions of The 400 Blows?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."