TheDOMINATOR's Movie Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
When I first saw BWP, I hated it. I thought it was the stupidest thing I have ever seen, but I loved the ending. One of the best endings I have seen in horror films and the only genuine scary moment of the whole thing.

BUT, SO many people love it and claim it to be so scary. Call it genius and what-not. I have watched it again since then and don't 'HATE' it as much, but still think it's not very good. It's gets more praise then it deserves. It wasn't the first film to do the handy-cam style that has become popular again, Cannibal Holocaust did it before and you can CLEARLY see where the makers of this film took their 'inspiration' from.

I will give it credit for it's marketing campaign though, simply brilliant.

Suspect's Reviews

The Lake House (2006) - 3/10

In this mishmash of a romantic comedy, Keanu Reeves plays Alex Wyler, an architect living in 2004 Chicago in a house by a lake. Sandra Bullock plays Kate Forster, a practicing doctor who recently moved away from the same house, keeping in contact with her previous home's new tenant through writing mail back and forth with him using an old mailbox. The twist: she's living in the year 2006. Both characters are interacting with each simultaneously--in two different periods of time.

The concept is intriguing, but its execution is a failure. Certain events take place in the film that intend to be heartwarming, but from a scientific standpoint--or perhaps just with a little bit of critical thinking--are impossible to have occurred. Kate lives in a building complex and one day writes to her friend who lives two years away from her--literally--saying how there are no trees surrounding her like the ones she remembers from the lake. So, the very next day, her friend from 2004, Alex, plants a tree right in front of her building, and it suddenly appears right before her very eyes.

Kate's deep smile should make for a heartwarming moment following Alex's kind gesture, but wait a minute... What did we just witness? If Alex planted the tree in 2004 after Kate asked him to do so in 2006, wouldn't the tree have been there all along? Then Kate would have never asked him to do plant the tree in the first place, and thus the entire event doesn't make sense. Time travel messes with one's mind and many situations involving it are up to theory, but what happens in this film just seems rather silly and poorly thought up and executed.

Aside from the complications involving scientific factual errors too unbelievable and glaring to overlook, Keanu Reeves' and Sandra Bullock's chemistry is shaky at best, bordering on non-existent. Sandra Bullock does not deliver the best performance of her career by a long-shot and neither does Keanu Reeves who isn't a top-notch actor in the first place. Every single thing about The Lake House is mediocre or worse, and my final thoughts are this: avoid it if you can.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The lake house had a "Frequency" feel to it, but it was a love story movie. I havent seen it ive just picked that up from the trailers, it hasnt really appealled to me but my wife is interesed init.

The lake house had a "Frequency" feel to it, but it was a love story movie. I havent seen it ive just picked that up from the trailers, it hasnt really appealled to me but my wife is interesed init.
Frequency was much better, N3wt (although that's not saying that Frequency was exceptional, either). I actually got some enjoyment out of that movie. And to think, I bought The Lake House on Blu-ray! Luckily it was on sale, though. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I did enjoy Frequency it is one of those movies I can watch again and again it is a real good story.

It is lucky it was on sale lol I hate geting a film for full (or just under) price and then realise that I dislike it. It is always a pain.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Why bother buying it on Blu-Ray??

I think only certain films should be bought on that format, WALL-E and Dark Knight to name a few. But a love story with Reeves and Bullock?

The Lake house didnt that win the Academy Award for best movie ever! Reeves is so versatile. His characters are so diffrent from one to the other!!

The Lake house didnt that win the Academy Award for best movie ever! Reeves is so versatile. His characters are so diffrent from one to the other!!
There's an Oscar for Best Movie Ever?

Why bother buying it on Blu-Ray??

I think only certain films should be bought on that format, WALL-E and Dark Knight to name a few. But a love story with Reeves and Bullock?
An online store was doing a "buy one, get one free" promotion with Blu-rays, and The Lake House was one I went with.

Heh. If only I had a friend who lives in 2007 to warn me, I wouldn't have done it, UsualSuspect!

Did you guys like the review itself? This has been my first below-"average" rating, so writing a review focused primarily on negativity is new for me here.

The Lake House (2006) - 3/10

Every single thing about The Lake House is mediocre or worse, and my final thoughts are this: avoid it if you can.
Unfortunately i bought it for $5 I wish I hadn't

Originally posted by Swan
There's an Oscar for Best Movie Ever?
Yeah they give one out every year!!!!
Don't you mean Best Picture (of the year)?
I thought my sarcasm was apparent! Sarcasm is undrestood better when spoken rather than typed. I Actually was using a Talladega Nights line!
Ricky Bobby: Wow. I feel like I'm Highlander!
Jean Girard: [Jean chuckles, confused] What is the Highlander?
Ricky Bobby: It's a movie. It won the Academy Award.
Jean Girard: Oh for what?
Ricky Bobby: Best movie ever made.

Also I think Reeves trys to play diffrent characters but that Point Break/Speed(Badass California Sufer type) he just cant seem to shake! In all of his movies I expect him to pull out a gun or something!

Oh yeah I almost forgot,Dominator your review was perfect!

Unfortunately i bought it for $5 I wish I hadn't
I got it for free (as part of a "buy one, get one" deal) and I wish I hadn't. Eh, I guess the sole experience of watching it was (semi) worth it, though, I suppose.

Oh yeah I almost forgot,Dominator your review was perfect!
Thank you, sir. Do you like the structure and general descriptions I provide, etc.?

Dom your reviews seem pretty solid and I trust them! As for structure you are going to have to ask somone else that is not my department!

I Like!!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I haven't seen The Lake House, but hey, you're the one who bought it. The way you explain the time-travel anomolies, I can actually accept them because otherwise there's no point in making the movie in the first place. So, no, if he planted it in 2004, it was still after he heard her "request" it 2006, so it wouldn't have already been there. In fact, it sounds less like a time travel movie than a multiple-time movie where people from different spans of time can interract. In fact, I'm sure there's a much stronger payoff somewhere than the tree. If it shows up for free, I'll try to check it out to comment "realistically" about it, but even if this movie's lousy, Reeves and Bullock did establish some great chemistry in a truly good flick, Speed.