5 Hollywood Secrets That Explain Why So Many Movies Suck

Tools    

Careful, man. There's a beverage here!
I think it really is as simple as anything else in America. Greed. Studio heads don't want to take any kind of risk on anything but a tried and true formula. New and interesting concepts and films rarely see the light of day because they are not guaranteed a fortune. Sadly, everything in the US has become about the bottom line only. Until the fall of this empire, I see a steady decline in quality until we end up like Mike Judge's "Idiocracy".

The really twisted part is that, statistically, movie lovers make up the majority of ticket sales. However, we are often not catered to enough. The problem is that we go to the movies even if we aren't sure about a movie because we love movies. Studios know that and are focusing their efforts toward getting the rest of the general public into the theater (hence the existence of the Big Momma's House Trilogy).

Reading these posts has gotten me riled up, man. I am going to make an effort this year to skip any movies that even have a whiff of studio cheese.

There will always be a governing body deciding what is and is not appropriate to include in a film designed for children/teenagers/adults. The choice is whether you want an independant one or a goverment-controlled one. Such organisations will always be vilified because the idea that an audience is being denied the film that the writer/director wanted them to see is abhorrent to most people.

I think if someone doesn't want their movie to be NC-17 and apparently buried, then maybe they should tone it down a bit. It's not like the majority of sex scenes and raunchy language are neccessary. Great movies were made for years without all that.
As for this, filmmakers in the days of classic Hollywood were forced to comply with the Hays Code, which was basically the unwanted moral guardian of America. There's an argument that many films were harmed by the Hays Code: Cat on A Hot Tin Roof was one of the many films which lost some of their power in the transfer to the big screen.

I don't disagree with you though. Movies can deal with hard-hitting subjects without using explicit scenes that are obviously going to give the movie a high classification.