Tyler1's Favourite 50 Films

→ in
Tools    

Okay, MoFos... these are my top 50 films which i appreciate based on their artistic merits (there are some that i enjoy for entertainment, but most of the films on this list are what i like in terms of aesthetic creativity...) *The majority of my favourite 'entertainment' movies are represented in the MoFo Top 100 by the way.

So... lets begin!!

50. Werckmeister Harmonies (Bela Tarr, 2001)

There's beauty in destruction; and destruction in beauty. Personally, i have seen nothing like Werckmeister Harmonies, with its super-long takes and melancholic music by Mihaly Vig. A much more accessible work than Satantango from Hungarian director Bela Tarr, this one is one of the top 10 films of the decade (IMO).

To speed things up a little, I will post 3 films at a time:

49. The Leopard (Visconti, 1963)

It's hard to believe this gorgeous movie was filmed in 1963, and still remains a visual feast for the eyes.

48. The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)

I am not a horror fan, but The Shining is one of those horror movies which you can watch again and again and never get bored.
47. Aliens (Cameron, 1986)

Who says Cameron can't create tension? My favourite scene is the one where Ripley and Newt are trapped in the room with those face-huggers...

Werckmeister Harmonies? What a way to start a list!

Nice so far. Can't wait to see more.

Rep for The Shining. I too am loving all these new lists... and this means i'm not the only person who listed just 50 movies!

46. Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001)

This is the film which sparked my interest in cinema. It holds a place in my heart Every character is so like-able, even the villians!
45. The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)

My favourite scene is where the doc and some of the guys were tied to the couch and MacReady (?) was testing their blood.
44. La Haine (Kassovitz, 1995)

Okay, this is a very underrated film. Taking place in a day in suburban France during the riots, it makes some harshly eloquent statements about the futility of violence. Bears similar traits to Taxi Driver, but i love it even more than the Scorsese film!

Who's going to believe a talking head?
Ive been hearing good things about la haine, will check it out asap.

Some great choices, Werckmeister was a very hard watch yet strangely haunting, not sure if could sit through it again and determine if it belongs on my list.

Definitely rep+ for The Thing though!

Bela Tarr is excellent, it is very nice to see that on the list. The Shining is not my favourite Kubrick, but I imagine that if it is up in the 40's then there will be more of his to come from you. La Haine I haven't watched since it was at the cinema, I stumbled in there after buying the cheapest shoes I could buy and used the rest of the money my Dad gave me on the ticket.

The next 4:

43. Cries And Whispers (Bergman, 1972)

One of Bergman's best work. A searing masterpiece which rips your heart out. Thanks Bergman!

42. The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)

The best Italian film i've seen. Did you know that Francis Ford Coppola was so enamoured by this film that he wanted his cinematographer to emulate the visual style while shooting 'The Godfather'? Not surprisingly, the cinematographer Vittorio Storaro went on to collaborate with Coppola in 'Apocalypse Now'.

41. North By Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)

Oh yeah, who else is riding the Hitchcock train?

AND

40. There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2007)

MoFos love this, Plainview loves this.

Is white trash beautiful
Yes Plainview will Love that. Great list, I loved La Haine to!!

@ honeykid Sorry that you don't like most of the films here so far

Anyway, to continue quickly... The next 5

39. Wall - E (Stanton, 2008)

38. Brazil (Gilliam, 1985)

37. Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992)

36. Le Samourai (Melville, 1967)

35. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't get this list at all.
Don't apologize, Tyler. Nobody gets honey's list. I'm speaking literally. Nobody gets [to see] it.