Which Scott Brother Do You Like Better?
17.65%
3 votes
Tony Scott
82.35%
14 votes
Ridley Scott
17 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Who is the better director? Tony Scott or Ridley Scott?

Some selected works from each.

Tony Scott

- Top Gun
- Beverly Hills Cop II
- Days of Thunder
- True Romance
- Last Boy Scout
- Crimson Tide
- Enemy of the State
- Spy Game
- Man On Fire

Ridley Scott

- Alien
- Blade Runner
- Legend
- Black Rain
- Thelma and Louise
- GI Jane
- Gladiator
- Hannibal
- Black Hawk Down
- American Gangster

Both are very talented directors who have put out great memorable movies but I have to give the nod to the older brother, Ridley. Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Thelma and Louise and Black Hawk Down were just great.

Who ya got?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Tony Scott's best film for me is True Romance. Ridley has Alien. Both make good movies, but Ridley has the more impressive body of work. His films (at least Alien) made an impact on cinema as a whole. All Tony has a good movies under his belt. He hasn't made his mark on cinema like his brother has. Plus, his films as of late all have the same hyper kinetic feel to them, he needs to change that.

Suspect's Reviews

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Yeah, I voted for Tony Scott. Ridley has an impressive body of work, but I have confessed to disliking most. Gladiator is a bit overrated, although I very much enjoyed Phoenix's performance. Alien is inferior compared to it's sequel & Blade Runner is a film I disliked when I first saw it (although the director's cut is a vast improvement). I actually prefer his latest work than his older. American Gangster, Thelma & Louise, Robin Hood, Hannibal & Black Hawk Down are very good films, some of them VERY underrated.

Tony's work gives me more enjoyment and entertainment. Top Gun, True Romance & The Last Boyscout are higher than both Ridley Scott films on my top 150 list.

But that being said, these aren't two directors I admire very much.

Tony by a mmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeee.

Top Gun alone wrecks everything that Ridley's ever done. In fact, I probably prefer all the films listed of Tony's over his brothers.

Seriously? HK and crack... they're like peas and carrots. Now, I do enjoy Top Gun quite a bit, but it wrecks Blade Runner, Alien and Legend? Please. Dude, get thee to rehab.

Yeah, but you know honeykid's taste. When you're aghast by it it's almost your fault at this point.

Anyway, I'll second that all the same. Alien wrecks a whole mess of movies.

I like the Duellists and Alien better than anything by Tony Scott. They've both made some good movies (and some stinkers too) though.

Favorite that I've seen by Tony is Deja Vu.

Seriously? HK and crack... they're like peas and carrots. Now, I do enjoy Top Gun quite a bit, but it wrecks Blade Runner, Alien and Legend? Please. Dude, get thee to rehab.
OK, I can see that people may prefer Alien and Blade Runner, but Legend? Seriously? I don't think I'm the one on crack, PW.

I don't feel like I know Tony Scott's films that well to be honest but what I find interesting looking at the complete list of his films is that he largely stuck to action and thrillers. Ridley Scott kept changing genres quite often so I think that's given him the edge overall. I mean, it would have been interesting to see a Tony Scott sci-fi film for example, and I'd be interested to see a film like The Hunger because in retrospect it wasn't his usual thing.