Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU

So I saw Shutter Island (2010) for the first time yesterday and I thought it was so great! it's one of those that gives you a straight forward story and completely turs the tables on that second half that makes you realize that perspective really is everything in a film. The characters were cool, the film was thrilling, and I was very jaw-dropped at the end. If anyone sees this let me know how you like this film I'm very curious to see how others reacted to this.

SCORE - 85/100

Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

+

I like what they did to the story on the making of Nosferatu. The acting is good and I always like Malkovich and Dafoe. A pretty good movie except I don't think it's very memorable.

Don't Leave Home (2018)

Peaks during the short intro and has some nice moments later but as a whole it just doesn't work too well. Tries to be an atmospheric horror but sadly the emphasis is on trying (bu as I applaud trying I won't give this a bad rating).

Slow West (2015)

Good performances and quirky shooting. 7/10

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018)Studio: FX; Starring: Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Ricky Martin, and Penelope Cruz

On July 15, 1997 an internationally famous fashion designer was murdered in front of his Miami Beach mansion by a crazed spree killer. This was the basis of the series.

Midway through episode #2 of the series it occurred to me to wonder where they could possibly take this well known story in order to fill up 9 episodes. The answer: after the Versace murder (not an assassination) the narrative was woven backwards through time with fictitious accounts of the perpetrator Andrew Cananan, and with imagined scenes and dialogue from Versace’s past.

The senseless killing which became a sensation, and the details surrounding it could have been adequately portrayed in 2 or 3 episodes. Unfortunately it was drug out to 9. Presumably FX was only interested in a 9 episode series, so the writers had to comply. In doing so they decided on an unusual and risky production method. It didn’t work. Telling the story backwards from the murder resulted in confusion about the characters, the timeline, and puzzlement over what several of the side stories had to do with the main plot. Therefore the series was jumbled and wandering, which took away any tension that might have been established by another method.

To his credit Darren Criss showed flashes of brilliance in his performance of the psychopathic Cunanan. Providing his character with any continuity must have been a Herculean project. This resulted in an uneven portrayal. Still his work was often at the highest level as he fashioned his award winning performance. In fact there were no poor performances in the entire series.

But the series itself was erratic and perplexing. It’s surprising that it won the Golden Globe, when there were other better series of its type; for example
Escape at Dannemora. Presumably the key points in its win were due to its robust presentation of homosexuality, along with the underlying theme of historical homosexual persecution. Hollywood has been in love with homosexual characters and stories for the past several years. It’s as if homosexuality has been added to the unwritten list of elements that must be included in any production, the practice of which has been amply celebrated by industry awards.

First rate performances, second rate series. Doc’s rating: 6/10

7/10. Bale looks a shoe-in for another Oscar. Great watch. The story telling style is quite similar to the Big Short. Can't say how accurate it is. But doesn't put America in a good light though. I wonder what Trump's party think of the movie!!

Weird is relative.

So I saw Shutter Island (2010) for the first time yesterday and I thought it was so great! it's one of those that gives you a straight forward story and completely turns the tables on that second half that makes you realize that perspective really is everything in a film. The characters were cool, the film was thrilling, and I was very jaw-dropped at the end. If anyone sees this let me know how you like this film I'm very curious to see how others reacted to this.

SCORE - 85/100
I watched it in the theatre with my friend when it was first released. I liked it as well, but any movie that concerns someone having lost their mind/living in a fictional reality unsettles me, so I haven't rewatched it. It was still a solid film.

Calvaire (2004)

What a bizarre film! Very engaging though. Throws you at every opportunity. Start, middle and end all tie up to make a great psychological tour. 8/10

If Beale Street Could Talk

I understand all the praise this movie is receiving, but I was a bit underwhelmed. The acting was excellent, and the story was very well told. It just didn't pull me into it the way some other movies do, and the soundtrack was noticeably distracting for me.

[Leave No Trace]I seen it and loved it! By far the best 2018 movie I've seen and one of the best films I've seen in a long time.
This was one of those small but captivating movies. It didn't sound like my type of film, and in fact it could have easily been treated as a Hippie/smarmy type of statement film. But instead the situation was presented honestly without editorializing. It almost felt like a documentary.

To me, it's chief attraction was the acting. I never felt as though I was watching actors in their roles. An added pleasure was it's PG rating. It's obvious from this picture that blood, guts and kink are not necessary elements in a good film.

~Doc

2nd re-wqtch...this exquisitely mounted biopic of composer Cole Porter is a textbook on how to make a musical biopic...everything works in this lush romantic musical, especially the magical performances of Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd.

PATERSON (2016) JIM JARMUSCH

I don't know about everyone else, but when I finish I movie I don't really have many arguments to express why I like the movie I just watched. I mean, I can talk about all the aspects of a movie, like the cinematography, the script, the acting, etcetera but that's superficial, I think, that's not what I seek when I decide to watch a film, those aspects sometimes are not even relevant. I have to sleep the movie to understand what made me like it, and later maybe write something here expecting someone the give a crap, because we all want our opinion to matter to someone else. If I can't relate personally to the movie I will probably dislike it. Now, finally, Paterson: Jim Jarmusch is a person that is fascinated with cities, he loves cities, I personally hate them, the noise, the confusion, for me they are like that movie with Tom Cruise: 'A man died on the train, he's riding the subway before anybody notices his corpse doing laps around L.A., people on and off sitting next to him. Nobody notices.' When I go to any big city, like Porto in Portugal, what really attracts me, is my fascination is just watch people, try to imagine there life's, trying to see something about them that they don't know, and that fascination is something I have in common with Jim Jarmusch. This movie is about relations, something about an old America, a place where you knew your neighbors and you cared about them. He made a very special effort emptying a city to make that old America fascination a reality. What made me like this movie so much was a man relation with a city and everything in it, a very relaxed, cooperative, reasonable relation, seeing instead of looking, paying attention to the smallest details and making them poetry. A Paterson in the city of Paterson, a person being the environment is in. This movie is very appealing to me personally, I've being trying to write something about it for some time now.

Boldly going.
8/10.
It deserved its Golden Globe.
Only a couple of ciriticisms ... Some of the action was too fast to process. I would've liked to have seen more action from some of the other Spider-people, especially Spider-Ham.
Otherwise, really good. Excellent animation.
I'd like to see a stand-alone Miles Morales movie.