17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

I was beginning to wonder if you were still in this, Suspect.

I'm still waiting on write-ups and ballots from five participants:

@HashtagBrownies - 5 movies left
@Luis - 2 movies left
@MijaFrost - 2 movies left
@neiba - 1 movie left
@TheUsualSuspect - 6 movies left

The deadline is 12:00 midnight (Pacific Time) on December 29th. That is 1 week from today!

@Miss Vicky I won't be able to watch 'Day For Night until after Christmas, just a head's up. Sorry that I'm leaving everything till the last minute, that's just how I roll.

My second Andrew Haigh film. He seems to have his own unique style, he portrays his stories in a very quiet and quaint way, no over-the-top camera angles or music. He also really has a way with direction, there's lots of gorgeous shots of nature in this (Like there were gorgeous shots of the rain-soaked English country-side in 45 Years). Despite being only 2 hours, it felt very long, probably because it has so much content in it. The performances were fine, didn't like how the main guy kept muffling his words. It was pretty emotional too: In a sad way and in a happy way, like when he's with the horse at the lake and he's just very happy and content, that got a smile out of me.

Is it better than 45 Years? I guess so. Very good film @Luis.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
13/14 The Hawks and The Sparrows

Excuse that these last 2 write ups are going to be extremely short and unstructured, I'm in the middle of traveling and this is literally the only 20 minutes I've been able to grab my laptop and access WI-FI.

This film was interesting for sure although I wouldn't say I particularly liked or disliked it. Don't get me wrong, I did appreciate a look into a specific culture and time period's humor, and even if it didn't really quite land with me, it was a nice challenge for the palette. The film never really bored me although I wouldn't say it kept me completely engrossed either. It was a film...and I watched it. Characters were somewhat charming, I didn't find myself as annoyed with the bird as some of the MoFos here. Yeah... it wasn't particularly memorable but I didn't mind the film.

60/100
@Miss Vicky

Look forward to to the results and of course the 18th HOF as well.
Me too! I have my nom picked out for the 18th.

@Siddon should host the 18th. He's been rock solid in the Hofs and I bet would do a great job as host. Siddon how about it?

Me too! I have my nom picked out for the 18th.

@Siddon should host the 18th. He's been rock solid in the Hofs and I bet would do a great job as host. Siddon how about it?

I can keep track, tabulate the points etc. But I don't know how to do any of the art stuff

I can keep track, tabulate the points etc. But I don't know how to do any of the art stuff
All anyone really has to do to be a good host is: be reliable and want to host. Artsy stuff doesn't matter. I just grab movie posters from a google image search, that's all. Do you know how to do the links for members reviews? If not it's easy.

@Miss Vicky

Almost finished with Denis Villeneuve's filmography. He's just great at his craft, he manages to make this film so good looking, the shots (The bus one holy crap), the tint, the shot composition, this dude's got himself perfected I think. The story is pretty original and great. It's really emotional too. I noticed that in one scene Denis used that stupid stock scream you hear in every cartoon or screamer video from the mid-2000's, but he actually makes it work. Just shows how talented he is. It was a good choice to have it take place in an unknown country in a fictional war, using a real war may have felt exploitative.

WARNING: spoilers below
That twist was also really good as I didn't see it coming

Great film @CosmicRunaway

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ghostwatch

It would have been cool to see this when it first aired. As everyone has said, the concept is the best thing about this film. The story of a woman and her two kids being haunted by a ghost in their home isn't original, it could probably pass as a Conjuring film these days, but the approach to the content is original enough to it makes the film stand out, good or bad. I applaud films for trying something different. If you're going to do some run of the mill story, you got to make it good. If you're going to try something new, I'll be a little bit more lenient on ya.

Apparently there was some backlash to the film and it was never rebroadcast. I'm sure there were a bunch of kids who watched this and freaked out, something their grandparents probably experienced during Welles' War of the Worlds broadcast. Reading some info on the project, "The rumour that the show's makers had wanted to include a high-pitched tone that would agitate viewers' pets during the broadcast is mostly true. Writer Stephen Volk suggested it, but as soundtracks are 'capped' for transmission (meaning, limited in pitch, volume, etc.), even if permission had been secured to go ahead with the idea, technically-speaking, it would not have been possible." That would have been hilarious. A lot of good ideas brought forth but it just couldn't be capitalized on.

I don't think something like this could be pulled off today, too many skeptical people in the world. It was a fun watch (not scary) and one I'm glad was included here. Would have worked well in the Horror HoF.

Suspect's Reviews

I noticed that in one scene Denis used that stupid stock scream you hear in every cartoon or screamer video from the mid-200's, but he actually makes it work.
You mean the Wilhelm scream? I don't think I noticed that in the film, or if I did, I've completely forgotten about it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You mean the Wilhelm scream? I don't think I noticed that in the film, or if I did, I've completely forgotten about it.
If it did, it's not listed here

Edit - Last updated in 2010, hahahaha ignore.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Day for Night

The French New Wave is kind of a hit and miss for me. While the style and concept behind the whole movement is not really my thing, I like the talent of some of the people involved in it and how they get to this epic scenes from time to time. That made love films like Pierrot le Fou or Breathless.
Unfortunately, it didn't happen here.

I get the passion Truffaut has for filmmaking, and how much the process of creating a film means to him. I also liked all the stereotypical characters and how they represent the making of a perfomance show, being a film, a play or an opera (which I am more familiar with).
But I felt bored the whole film, didn't really love any quote or any specific scene, which was a disappointment. Even those key scenes, which were supposed to be funny like the girl entering the wrong door just failed to impress me.

Aaaaand end of the HoF for me. Votes sent.