Favorite war movies

Tools    

I used to like Full Metal jacket a lot.But then saw many other war movies and sort of forgot it.Now my favorite is Apocalypse Now.But I don't think that Hollywood movies can really show war.When I saw Idi I Smotri(come and see) and especially Johnny Got His Gun,all these famous war movies(Platoon,Private Ryan,Thin Red Line etc.) looked very unreal and kinda pro-war compared to these two.Apocalypse Now I think is the only terrifying war movie made in Hollywood.

My fav is probably Saving Private Ryan. The story/ending were just too good. Jarheads was pretty good too but not comparable to SPR.

Just saw Boys in Company C.
So damn underrated, surprising to see that it doesn't get much recognition or mention anywhere.

Also this movie happens to be R. Lee Ermey's first appearance on a film, pre-dating Full Metal Jacket by almost a decade. I'd recommend it to most people.

I used to like Full Metal jacket a lot.But then saw many other war movies and sort of forgot it.Now my favorite is Apocalypse Now.But I don't think that Hollywood movies can really show war.When I saw Idi I Smotri(come and see) and especially Johnny Got His Gun,all these famous war movies(Platoon,Private Ryan,Thin Red Line etc.) looked very unreal and kinda pro-war compared to these two.Apocalypse Now I think is the only terrifying war movie made in Hollywood.
Depends on what terrifies you. Check out Casualties Of War.

How can anyone forget it!
It's not that I forgot it,maybe it just doesn't look so incredible like it did the first time.Also,I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick,his movies are interesting but his controversial,disturbing and even a bit surreal style isn't my favorite.
Check out Casualties Of War.
I will if I don't forget it.

Underground is an excellent and offbeat choice for a war film . I want to see it again.

For classic satirical allegoric films about Yugoslavia I also really enjoyed Marathon Runners Run the Final Lap (Slobodan Sijan, 1982).

I also liked Pretty Villages Pretty Flame, but haven't seen No Man's Land.

You should see No Man's Land. Though not on the same level as Underground its vastly entertaining. And I havent seen Pretty Villages Pretty Flame nor Marathon Runners Run The Final Lap so thanks for the recommendation!

Just watched The Train starring Burt Lancaster.
Not your usual war film, but highly recommended if you're looking for a decent thriller that is well written.

It's a kind of film that if any major studio executives happen to rediscover, will definitely remake it.

Grave Of The Fireflies
The Red And The White
A Matter Of Life And Death
Ivan's Childhood
Das Boot
Downfall
The Battle Of Algiers
Paisan
The Battle Of Britain
Braveheart
The Deer Hunter
The Thin Red Line

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Just watched The Train starring Burt Lancaster.
Not your usual war film, but highly recommended if you're looking for a decent thriller that is well written.

It's a kind of film that if any major studio executives happen to rediscover, will definitely remake it.

The Train is certainly a
flick, but I'm afraid if they remade it, they'd use CGI for all the trains and explosions and stunt men for the Burt Lancaster character. Lancaster did all his own stunts in that flick. All the trains in the film are obviously real, and I don't think there are that many directors around who could handle such a big production while keeping it real.

Exactly, the train sequences were so damn realistic. And it looked even more epic in B&W.

Definitely would never want to see it getting remade, but don't you think the concept is such that most people would want to remake it?

Besides all that, this movie just made my Top 100.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Saving Private Ryan is by far the best for me. I liked the Band of Brothers tv series as well

Saving Private Ryan is by far the best for me. I liked the Band of Brothers tv series as well
It is definitely the best war movie.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.

Technically it's not a war film but as the poster says...erm..

This time it's war.

You know what that means?

It's a war film.