The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Nah, all three of my brothers are, but every time I see a hot new BR game all I can think is "everyone will have moved on to another one in a few months." Apex is the one I played the most and I enjoyed it a lot, but that's about it.

“I was cured, all right!”
Tarkov seems very different from the other BR games, honestly, I don't think this game will die anytime soon. The community is growing and growing.

Mundfish released a new teaser for their upcoming game Atomic Heart...

Tarkov seems very different from the other BR games, honestly, I don't think this game will die anytime soon. The community is growing and growing.
Well, I'm not saying it'll die, just that the groups of friends I would play with would move on. Anyway, the communities of all the other sudden hit BRs all grew just as fast or faster. And you can still play them, even though they're no longer the hot new thing.

These games are like nightclubs. I'll be shocked if this one is the first not to wane after a decent interval, relatively speaking, since it's happened like five times in a row.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Don't think I ever want to play a BR game again. My time with PUBG was glorious but when I burned out on it, I burned hard.

Still slowly playing through Judgement, here, in between sessions of RDR Online (which has become my new game to listen to podcasts during).

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I guess I've cycled through my gaming urges for the year. Since disconnecting for Christmas vacation, I've not had much desire to get back into it. I suppose it's preoccupation with other things but there was a DLC update for CONTROL not long ago. I played it for maybe 40 minutes or so and it was intense but I just haven't felt the addiction come back. The delay was too long I guess since completing the game before new material was released. I tried to pop into RDR2 last night just to ride around and shoot things but gosh, it took too long to slowly walk across camp, find my horse, and ride out just to have all the lil critters run away before I could get into range.

I might try Witcher again tonight. See how that goes.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Welcome to the human race...
Decided to ditch The Witcher 3 because I finally got around to picking up Shadow Man on N64. This was a game that was obviously a source of morbid fascination during the N64's heyday - horror on a Nintendo console was still something of a rarity in those days - but I never managed to get a copy until now. I'm liking it so far - easy enough to prefer because it's the kind of horror where you at least stand a fighting chance against your opponents (but not enough so that the game gets too easy either) and everything about the plot and atmosphere seems to be just my thing (traveling to hell and back in order to fight monsters and eventually the world's worst serial killers in order to save the world). Only real problem I have with it is that it's non-linear to a fault and also puts quite a lot of emphasis on collectables so you have to do a lot of backtracking whenever you unlock new abilities in order to collect enough of them to progress even further. Still, I'd say I'm enjoying it more than not and it's nice to be playing something comparatively simple.

If you want more N64 horror, I can't recommend Eternal Darkness strongly enough. You may have already played it, but it's very clever and innovative, particularly for its time.

I believe Eternal Darkness was on GameCube - at least, that's where I played it. I also liked it, though it definitely hews closer to the kind of survival horror shown in early Resident Evil games compared to Shadow Man basically being a horror-themed platformer.

In fairness, Wikipedia says it was originally planned for the Nintendo 64 but it ultimately ended up on GameCube.

I gave it one complete play-through - I didn't deliberately invoke sanity effects since the game already proved challenging enough to throw loads of them at me when I was trying to play it properly.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Don't think I ever want to play a BR game again. My time with PUBG was glorious but when I burned out on it, I burned hard.

Still slowly playing through Judgement, here, in between sessions of RDR Online (which has become my new game to listen to podcasts during).
Boom broke my record today, 21 kills. Now I can retire.

Did you play the original PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battle Royal Arma 3 mod? I played that, and when they made the standalone PUBG game, I cringed. I played it, and thought it was basically a watered down more arcadey version, and I didn't like it. PUBG was getting played a lot by people at the internet cafe I sometimes grace with my presence. I chat with the owner sometimes, and he was saying that it was made by the same guy and was closer to his vision of how he wanted the game to be. But in my mind, that didn't make it a better game. I had such interesting experiences in the original Battle Royal that you would never have in PUBG. For example, after going through a lot of buildings in a compound with a massive radar dish I was moving on and was decked out with gear. I saw some movement in the bushes and looked to find two guys crouched with barely anything. One of them had a pistol. They said hello and said hello back, and we didn't try to shoot each other. I told them there was plenty more gear and guns in the compound, and warned them that I saw another player in the larger building, then we parted ways and wished each other luck. Realism is such a beautiful thing.

Did you play the original PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battle Royal Arma 3 mod? I played that, and when they made the standalone PUBG game, I cringed. I played it, and thought it was basically a watered down more arcadey version, and I didn't like it. PUBG was getting played a lot by people at the internet cafe I sometimes grace with my presence. I chat with the owner sometimes, and he was saying that it was made by the same guy and was closer to his vision of how he wanted the game to be. But in my mind, that didn't make it a better game. I had such interesting experiences in the original Battle Royal that you would never have in PUBG. For example, after going through a lot of buildings in a compound with a massive radar dish I was moving on and was decked out with gear. I saw some movement in the bushes and looked to find two guys crouched with barely anything. One of them had a pistol. They said hello and said hello back, and we didn't try to shoot each other. I told them there was plenty more gear and guns in the compound, and warned them that I saw another player in the larger building, then we parted ways and wished each other luck. Realism is such a beautiful thing.
I mainly played PUBG in groups of friends so mainly looked on it as something to occupy my fingers while we were mercilessly ripping the snot out of each other on Discord. The original game, though, was fantastic when it was in late early access but after it went 1.0 the microtransactions started creeping in and I began to lose interest.

I mainly played PUBG in groups of friends so mainly looked on it as something to occupy my fingers while we were mercilessly ripping the snot out of each other on Discord. The original game, though, was fantastic when it was in late early access but after it went 1.0 the microtransactions started creeping in and I began to lose interest.
So you never played the Arma games... I mean PUBG is not the only game that started out as a mod of Arma. DayZ is the other famous one. What do you think of hyper realism in video games?

So you never played the Arma games... I mean PUBG is not the only game that started out as a mod of Arma. DayZ is the other famous one. What do you think of hyper realism in video games?
Played both of them but, as someone who remembers the army on the streets of my hometown, I'm not much for hyperrealism. I'll play Destiny all day, but not COD or Battlefield.

Di je Karlo?
I'm currently playing Diablo 2, and I'm at the end of chapter 2. I tried that mercenary tank strategy, and Duriel is still unbeatable. Any tips?
I'm an offense-focused cleric with 4 points sunk into vengeance

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I recently bought a Nintendo Switch. Ever since I can remember, I have always been on the outside looking in on Nintendo. I was brought up on the PlayStation and I didn't own a Game Cube until it had become well obsolete (and I didn't use it to play any first-party games). I loved the Game Boy and Nintendo DS, but I have never played a Wii or a WiiU.

I bought the Switch and, with it, I bought Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Pokemon: Shield, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Thus far, I have only played Donkey Kong and Mario Kart.

I am having a lot of fun with Donkey Kong, with the Country series influencing a lot of series' I love like Rayman Origins (and Legends) and Crash Bandicoot, but I don't love Mario Kart at the moment.

I'm a huge fan of Crash Team Racing, but I am having trouble becoming invested in Mario Kart. I think it is because it doesn't have any objectives or incentives that I can see. The story-line in Crash Team Racing wasn't exactly the best, but the addition of the Grand Prix offered an illusion of progression that Mario Kart appears to lack. I haven't played it too much yet though.