World Cup Soccer 2018

Tools    

Why would it be in the winter? Because Qatar is too hot?
Yeah, precisely. It was deemed to be safer to do it that way.

Im an Ireland fan, so once again of course we arent there. Last time I saw us play in a World Cup, I was on study leave for my GCSE exams! Got back from my paper round just in time to watch us get a draw in the groups with Germany thanks to a last minute equaliser!

Ive pulled Argentina in the sweep, though I dont think they'll win it. Fancying Germany again or France right now, Frsnce tend to be boom or bust in the WC, having won and go to the final recently, as well as getting humped out at the group stages, there never seems to be an in between!

Other than that, Im an Everton fan so Ill tend to stick to wanting to see our players do well there! Unfortunately that means having to get behind England, as it seems likely our keeper Pickford will be first choice keeper. Our other representatives will be Kevin Mirallas (technically still plays for us and I cant wait to see the back of him!) for Belgium, Idrissa Gueye for Senegal and Gylfi Sigurdsson for Iceland!

I cant wait, Im not a huge fan of international football as its tremendously dull outside of the big tournaments but I absolutely love the World Cup. Already put all the fixtures in my diary and looked for which games Ill miss because Im working!

I never watch soccer outside of the World Cup. I’m from Birmingham originally, but have never seen Birmingham City F.C. or Aston Villa play. All the girls I used to go around with in Brum dated football players, but I don’t think I ever met one. There’s really nothing as exciting as watching a first-class World Cup match.

I never watch soccer outside of the World Cup. I’m from Birmingham originally, but have never seen Birmingham City F.C. or Aston Villa play. All the girls I used to go around with in Brum dated football players, but I don’t think I ever met one. There’s really nothing as exciting as watching a first-class World Cup match.
Im the opposite...follow my own team home, away and in Europe, done random games at home and abroad, the lot! Been to both Brum and Villa absolutely loads of times, even saw my local village side win the FA Trophy at Villa Park in 2003!

Went to a game at the European Championships in France two summers ago, I'd recommend going to a tournament game to anybody, has an amazing atmosphere around it. Probably helped by the fact it was one of France's games I went to, against Albania in Marseille.

I see from your profile you’re from Skelmersdale. Is that the Lake District? Which county is that?

Good to see Everton. If you said Pool, this thread would be closed by next page. United here!

To be honest, UCL has a higher standard than WC. There are some teams which are just there to make up the numbers. 2026 will be 48 teams. Watered down drivel that would be

Good to see Everton. If you said Pool, this thread would be closed by next page. United here!

To be honest, UCL has a higher standard than WC. There are some teams which are just there to make up the numbers. 2026 will be 48 teams. Watered down drivel that would be
Somewhere to talk about football where disliking Liverpool is popular...Im happy already!

I agree expanding it is silly, 32 teams is a good balance, that we get enough smaller nations from smaller (in football terms at least, not actually size!) continents, and there is still a good enough chance for all to qualify. Opening it up too much ruins it. Look at the Euros 2 years ago, I think the quality suffered severely from expanding it from 16, especially when it was possible to finish 3rd in your group and still go through.

As for the CL, that is going too far in the other direction, by making itself a closed shop to anyone who doesnt come from one of the big nations. Half of the 32 group teams next season will come from Italy, Spain, France and England. While a team who have won their league, such as Celtic, have to play 8 games to qualify for the group stage! I also absolutely despise this concept of losers falling into the Europa League, just one of many reasons why the Europa League is probably the most disrespected competition around, when if they didnt insist on cramming all of the top teams into the CL in the first place, then the Europa League would be a fantastic competition in it's own right.

Looking forward to Spain vs. Portugal on Friday.

Interesting that out of 24 teams playing, 7 have won the World Cup.

England, Spain & France once.
Uruguay & Argentina twice.
Germany 4 times.
Brazil 5 times.

Unregistered User
Looking forward to Spain vs. Portugal on Friday.

Interesting that out of 24 teams playing, 7 have won the World Cup.

England, Spain & France once.
Uruguay & Argentina twice.
Germany 4 times.
Brazil 5 times.

32 teams playing Stirchley.
Really looking forward to Friday myself, should be a good game and a close one too. Looking forward to Saturday too actually. Interested to see how France do. Always good to watch the Argies. Croatia v Nigeria will be evenly matched although maybe not too many goals. Peru are dark horses. Not too win it or anything but they will spring a few surprises and I wont be shocked to see them beat the Danes and go on to qualify for the next round.

In fact, I'm looking forward to every day of the world cup! My flexi time in work might take a hit though!

I request the admin to change the name of the thread to 'World cup football 2018' .

Yeah. 94 was the last time 24 teams played. And 8 have won the world cup. For us, matches start on Thursday!
Italy 4 times. 34. 38, 82 and 2006.

So we get to enjoy it a day early!

That France match is at 05:00. No partying on Friday night. Although I am used to waking up that early for the EPL matches, I just have gone out of habit in the past few weeks. I will be watching all the matches. Its going to be juicy.

But i am apprehensive about the VAR thing though. Last Confed cup, it was all over the place.

Football... mother of all sports!

I request the admin to change the name of the thread to 'World cup football 2018' .
It's always going to be a bit jarring, that . I've just read that India have never been in a World Cup, which surprised me.

India made it in 1950. Although it was a dubious qualification at best. But being in Brazil and Olympics being just two years later and getting independence just before that, they prioritized and said we are going to Olympics and not the WC.

It might have helped the country gain some traction for the sport if they went.

It is football for me too. But I don't care anymore, ears have become used to hearing the word.

It's always going to be a bit jarring, that . I've just read that India have never been in a World Cup, which surprised me.
Indians are mad for cricket , and football is not so popular .

Indians are mad for cricket , and football is not so popular .
Oh yes but over such a long time it still surprised me. Apparently they were able to compete in 1950 due to some other teams withdrawing but pulled out themselves too for some reason.

32 teams playing Stirchley.
My bad. Never was any good at math.

I’m confused. Is it wrong to call football soccer?

Italy 4 times. 34. 38, 82 and 2006.
Right. Didn’t mention them ‘cos they didn’t qualify this time.

Originally Posted by hell_storm2004
But i am apprehensive about the VAR thing though.
NY Times had a very interesting article on Sunday about the VAR. Should be interesting to see it in play.